Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

stock tune vs accessport OTS vs Custom ECUflash tune comparison w/ bolt-ons

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock tune vs accessport OTS vs Custom ECUflash tune comparison w/ bolt-ons

Just wanted to post up my results from my recent tune at STM. I came in with HKS drop-in filter, AMS widemouth downpipe, Ultimate racing resonated test pipe, greddy spectrum elite catback and AMS upper intercooler piping on a stage 2 ots cobb accessport map. Those results on the same dyno were 290whp 299tq also seen on this graph.

With the accessport uninstalled on stock mapping with all the same mods 267whp 292tq, also, on this graph.

Then final results after just adding the boost controller and being custom tuned via ECUflash 315whp 331tq

Just wanted to give some good before after results from typical bolt ons before any tuning just on stock ECU. Then after with accessport, then the difference from an accessport OTS map to a good custom stock ECU tune.
Hope this helps

Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see any graphs.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolving Member

sorry about that, not sure why it didnt attach the first time
Attached Thumbnails stock tune vs accessport OTS vs Custom ECUflash tune comparison w/ bolt-ons-scan0001.jpg  
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I do want to point out that it appears your run #2 was taken nine months before the other two runs. Also, were you running the Stage 2 LWG map? Your results don't quite jive with some of the results we've seen locally - while you should certainly see an improvement using a custom tune vs an OTS map, I've only seen that big a difference when someone was using the LWG OTS maps.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

I was not using a LWG map. it was the stage 2, 93 oct map for the HKS drop-in. This specific run was 9 months ago correct, on the same dyno with the same mods.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like STMs Mustang reads lower than the Cobb Plano one. Cars with similar mods are in the 340/350 hp/torque range here. I don't think temp and humidity are quite the same between June and March in NY, so runs 2 & 3 ain't a fair comparison.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

STMs mustang dyno is a very low reading dyno yes.
I'm just trying to put up some comparative data and people just want to complain that the pulls werent all done on the same day, and the shop temperature may have been 10 degrees different?!!? Its not like its was 40 in the shop these runs and 100 in the other... regardless stock tune vs there tune was still the same day and still a valid comparison.
The Accessport one was indeed months earlier but still gives a fair comparison as its the same dyno. It was probly 60s outside in the June runs and its was like 50 this most recent run. The temp in the shop was within 10 degrees on the 2 days Id be willing to wager.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

When did you put on the Hallman? Can you have them pull the OTS and custom tune graphs with boost and/or AFR?

And for your information, lowkey and I have both had similar experiences with the OTS vs custom tune: OTS maps worked very well and a custom tune was a little better, but certainly not the difference you saw. Problem with trying to compare dyno runs from different days is the sheer multitude of variables that can influence the readings: from temperature and humidity to the inflation of your tires and how tightly the car was strapped to the dyno. Here's my experience going between OTS and a custom tune (caveats: these are a couple months apart, and I had a 3port installed earlier on the day before my custom tune- which I asked them to make conservative for road racing).

Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

The hallman was put on when doing the custom tune, that was the only mechanical thing that changed between all the runs.
I can tell you I feel a substantial difference so I have no question of the gains seen on the graph.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Oh no, don't get me wrong, it's certainly a big difference, but what we see on your dyno graph is not simply the difference between another pound of boost and a custom tune- there is something else going on there, and that's what I'm trying to figure out. (Which is why I'd like to see the AFR and boost for those two plots.)

Given where your untuned plot came out and where you ended up, you're certainly putting down some good numbers. Given what I've seen, and assuming that we can correlate your June and March runs, I'd say you were running a couple pounds shy of full boost (26lbs) with your OTS map.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

The OTS map would spike to 26 just as my tune now it just didnt hold as long or come in quite as quickly. But I'm quite sure peak boost is the same, what its holding to redline, is not.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry, no disrespect intended, but I don't buy it. There's no way both those pulls were hitting the same boost at peak torque unless something else was running seriously awry on the OTS map. Again, if we are to assume your pulls from June to March can be correlated, the fact that you're only making 23whp and 7tq on the OTS map vs stock is conclusive that something was not running correctly.

While I understand that this is what you saw in going from x to y, I caution you from asking anyone to draw the conclusion that it is in any way demonstrative of what the typical person would see going from x to y...
Old Apr 3, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

No disrespect taken, but check cobbs website at what its boost target is, same boost gauge, hitting 25-26 psi on the Cobb OTS and on this tune. Both on pump 93 oct... How much further can you honestly turn the boost above 25-26psi with the stock turbo on pump gas without blowing hot air?

Either way just posting my results, take them or leave them, I have no stake either way to hype one thing or another. A post with some result like this was just something I was looking for when trying to decide if I should stick with the AP or go custom tune, so I wanted to post this up to maybe help someone else that was in my shoes looking for some data to make a decision between the two options.