Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Some SST's

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2011, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Some SST's

I "retired" the beginning of this year from on-dyno tuning because of some associated health issues.

I got a bit bored from no longer tuning so I went back to street and interweb tuning.

I've been more focused on the SST trans over the last year, mainly because I own a SST equipped Mitsubishi now, and also because in my honest opinion it's an amazing transmission.

Here are some SST graphs and data.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 MR

AEM Intake
Upper IC pipe
Catback
HFC
Boost pill
ECU tuning via EcuFlash
91oct

+52 whp / +41 wtq

Before was with above mods (minus boost pill) but no tuning, after was with tuning.

After tuning, 3rd and 4th gear:

Logging and tuning through the gears is very important with the SST transmission:

With some SST data:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 SE

AEM Intake
Upper/Lower IC pipe
FMIC
Catback
Testpipe
AMS downpipe
3-port boost solenoid
ECU tuning via EcuFlash
91oct

+48 whp / +38 wtq

Before was with above mods (minus 3port) but no tuning, after was with tuning.

After tuning, 3rd and 4th gear:

Logging and tuning through the gears:

With some SST data:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2010 MR-Touring

CBRD BBX turbo upgrade
AMS Intake
Upper/Lower IC pipe
FMIC
ID1000 injectors
BlaqOps fuel pump kit
CBRD tubular exh manifold
Catback
Testpipe
AMS downpipe
3-port boost solenoid
ECU tuning via EcuFlash
91 oct

Was only able to get single pull logs on this one because of time

Old May 8, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up, Bryan! Great job as always!

Im really sorry to hear about your health issues. Are the problems you're having associated with the GST dyno bay and what seems to be a lack of air circulation in the dyno room? I know CBRD has an exhaust ventilation system that moves crazy amounts of air. I hope it's nothing that you can't recover from!

-Jalal
Old May 8, 2011, 05:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by MJ23FE
Thumbs up, Bryan! Great job as always!

Im really sorry to hear about your health issues. Are the problems you're having associated with the GST dyno bay and what seems to be a lack of air circulation in the dyno room? I know CBRD has an exhaust ventilation system that moves crazy amounts of air. I hope it's nothing that you can't recover from!

-Jalal
Yup, ventilation is/was horrible. Years of it took it's toll on me.

I already feel like a totally different person, it's been a 3-4 months since I did regular dyno tuning.

CO poisoning is not good.

Last edited by razorlab; May 8, 2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

I already feel like a totally different person, it's been a 3-4 months since I did regular dyno tuning.

That'll definitely do it! That's exactly what smokers feel like after they quit for a few months. You should make some trips out here to the right coast and do some tuning here at CBRD. I'm positive you'll get a ton of people that would come out and want to get tuned by you! I can confidently say that at all the dyno days I've attended at CBRD, I've never once had any issues with breathing/inhaling any exhaust. Their ventilation/circulation system works amazing! I have had issues breathing at Other dyno shops, though!

I hope you fully recover from the difficulties you're having and you can get back into a properly setup dyno room soon!

You're a magician on the laptop that shouldn't be held to only e-tune/road tunes.

-Jalal
Old May 8, 2011, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what would it take to get the stock turbo to hold more boost at high RPM's and not taper off (particularly after 6000 rpms)? I'd imagine the TQ curve would be much more flat and the car wouldn't feel like it's falling off.

Last edited by klattr1; May 8, 2011 at 09:30 PM.
Old May 8, 2011, 09:41 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by klattr1
what would it take to get the stock turbo to hold more boost at high RPM's and not taper off (particularly after 6000 rpms)? I'd imagine the TQ curve would be much more flat and the car wouldn't feel like it's falling off.
Yes, quite simple, get a bigger turbo.
Old May 9, 2011, 01:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts
good job.. sorry to hear about the health issues, thats definitely not good..
Old May 9, 2011, 02:14 AM

sorry to here about your health issues man ... I am glad and grateful to hear/see peeps like yourself and others working on the SST tranny , and uncorking more potential out of it .

i too have an SST and am looking forward to eventually doing more work to it , with more go-fast parts !
Old May 9, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Very interesting. Are those tuned numbers reliable as far as the trans go? I don't want to go farther than you have with mine (if/when I ever end up modding), only planning on intake/exhaust/Cobb. Don't want to stress the trans too much since this is my DD.... What about your AFR numbers? What is the minimum you can go before getting knock? I heard it was something around 12 and it looks like you're at around 13-14. Is that a conservative tune? yeah lots of questions, sorry.

What's the cost of the parts list? Tuning is I think around $500 around here. Well worth it considering the tuner quality that we have....
Old May 9, 2011, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab

Awesome results man!

Both myself and the old shop owner noticed a HUGE change in health after he sold the dyno. It's strange it took me so long to figure out why I would have a massive headache at the end of the day and feel sick with flu like symptoms for a couple days after a busy tuning day.

Glad your feeling better these days......

Deff gonna hit you up when i get my swap done.... any of these that were logged through the gears showing my rich shift behavior???
Old May 9, 2011, 09:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the data! Glad to hear your health is picking back up.... Whenever I get a motor back in this X I'd love to have you look at it (and buy you a beer or 10) if you are streeting / traveling professionally.
Old May 9, 2011, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

As someone with really bad hand RSI problems from programming, I feel for you on the health issues. Get better man.

I'm only 23 and have severe carpal tunnel in both arms. I'm one of those self taught programmers who has been coding since I picked up a BASIC manual at 7. Now I do it full time for a living, and of course code on my map tracing software at home.

I'm probably going to get surgery in the next year or two if it doesn't improve. I've been waiting over 3 years for mine to heal. A vicious "up" and "down" cycle that never seems to improve.

So again I say good luck and take it very seriously. It sucks when the things we love hurt us....
Old May 9, 2011, 02:22 PM

Breathing exhaust emissions, obviously bad for immediate and long term health not even considering that some guys are tuning with leaded race gas.
It is crazy to see most chassis dyno shops do not have a proper ventilation system. Not only is this bad for the people present but the contaminated air does not help get proper engine tuning since the polluted air does not represent fresh outside air (more CO2 and less O2, etc). Some tuners may recognize and make the tune richer to compensate but it is still not precise.
Proper ventilation can be achieved inexpensively by having plumbing leading to outside of the shop attached to the exhaust pipe(s) of the car on the dyno along with fans bringing in fresh air. This is typical for engine dyno rooms.
We all love HP and this is a simple thing that could get you a better tune and for sure is better for the health of the tuner.
Old May 11, 2011, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry to hear about the health issues, but happy to know your still doing what you love in a safer way. You really are a magician when it comes to tuning!
Old May 11, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to hear you are feeling/getting better from the occupational hazards! You tuned both my GF's ix and my X and they are running just as great as day I drove them home. So you're doing road tuning these days? At least you're not breathing in smog all the time. If you are still tuning X GSRs let me know, since I'm contemplating GSC S2s and a new tune to support them.
TIA

Quick Reply: Some SST's