Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Nyx got tuned!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Nyx got tuned!

Ok so last night I completed my first step in modding my 2010 GSR

Here is the list of mods:

AEM 08 Evo X Cold Air Intake (the whole box was removed and it was custom mounted)
AGP Polished Front Mount Intercooler Pipes 3.0 IC Outlet (aftermarket IC)
AGP Evo X FMIC
Agency Power Dual Catback Exhaust for EVO X
Agency Power Racing Downpipe for EVO X
Grimmspeed 3-port MBC

Our first pull in the dyno put out 343whp/398wtq @26.9 psi

After cleaning up the fuel map and smoothing out the tune we ended up at 334whp/385wtq @26psi

(all on 91 pump gas)

(I am waiting on the email of the dyno sheet, i left it at the tuners lasts night :P )

This build was not without its issues. There are subtle differences on the 2010 gsr that made issues for us...

first off was the intercooler - in 2008 there was a undercarriage mounting plate that allowed you to bolt it to the frame - not so on the 2010.

So we drilled a hole in a closer part of the frame and mounted it there - the black bracket is a standard part of the car, but does not run the full length of the IC - so only one bolt is used. Thankfully the rest of the mounting points worked and it fit into place nice and tight.

Next up wast the AP downpipe and dual catback - it all fit just fine, didnt hang too low (although the rear hangs 1" lower than stock and each exhaust comes out at a slight angle, not straight back) - however there is a little "knob" on the transfer case about midway down the length of the downpipe - and it touches the pipe somewhat firmly when all the bolts are in place. I am working with AP now to see if we can adjust the position. (regardless i LOVE the sound of the dual exhaust. I drove it around in various rpms /highway/neighborhood/ and it does not "drone" much over stock unless you are on the gas - though starting off from a light will let everyone around know you have aftermarket exhaust :P )

Our woes were not over yet...

The AEM intake is a great deal and it keeps the MAF clean with its little black box - however - once mixed with the AGP intercooler pipes we ran into a fitment issue.

The BOV sits really far up the pipe, and sticks out to the side - right into the side of the AEM intake box. :P

So we removed the box and used the MAF mounting bracket AEM provides to mount the filter to a brace already on the car. Turned out if all fit, but it's not the prettiest looking setup...

Overall I am happy with the build. I will be looking at cleaning up the rubber piping for the MAF and fixing the fitment of the downpipe but other than that the car runs strong (even up here at 5280)

The tune was done by Tobz here in denver, and the guy is amazing. He took the time and care to not only make sure everything fit well and ran right - but he also took the time to explain things to me and check with me before modifications were done. A real professional, I can not recommend him enough.

*Kracka edit*

Last edited by Renley; Jun 14, 2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Let me know when you post a dyno chart and I'll move this thread to the dyno results section.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice numbers!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers!!! TOBZ is the man!!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 05:39 PM

Those are very nice numbers...does the dyno read high? I'm not calling you a liar, just wondering how it compares to other dynos. Either way, looks like a nice setup!
Old Jun 6, 2011, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

Tobz is the shiznet! BTW, ur sig shows the wrong power numbers
Old Jun 8, 2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks guys!

Oops, f up my sig.

And as far as the dyno goes, he mentioned something but my head was spinning with about hundred evos in his tune shop, so i was not paying attention :P

When i pick up my dyno sheet i left there tomorrow i will ask him again

I think with cams and a full injector upgrade and a way batter bov than stock; i could hold a rock steady 26psi and keep the 343/398 numbers, maybe a touch better on the HP side in fact.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 08:36 AM

Ok, well either google mail is having issues or the site is. I tried to loging with the little gmail button as usual, works every time - except today.

anyway, I am the thread op, just trying to update this farking thread.

Here is the dyno sheet i finally got scanned in.

I did indeed mis-quote the numbers a bit, i will correct them whenever i can log back into the forum using gmail...
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:25 AM

Still very nice numbers, you need to take her to Bandimere and see what she can do.
Old Jun 10, 2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks!

Other than the fitment of the test pipe i am very happy with the mods and the car.

Tobz said he wanted to smooth out the dip in power at 6600 rpms, and there might be a few other minor mods i can do to hold the power steady.

I may head up to bandimere to give it a go, mostly to satisfy my own curiosity. But the car is being built to be tracked at HPR, so the numbers will not be pushed for drag like other evos. So i doubt you will ever see amazing times out of this car.

right now I am working with tobz to plan out the best set of mods to get my HP up while not staining the engine too much. He seems to think there are a few solid ways i can get to 400hp/400wtq and keep the stock block.

my hope is to shoot for 450hp/400wtq but that may not work out, we'll see....
Old Jun 11, 2011, 10:11 AM

I would be very careful with the pursuit of more power on a stock motor. I just installed a FP Red with all the bolt ons and had Tobz tune it. I managed 431whp and 375wtq at 25lbs of boost on 91 octane. I drove the car for one day and now it sounds like a Subaru and I am getting a misfire in cylinder 4 SES. I replaced the spark plugs, the ignition coil on cylinder 4, and now I ordered a new set of injectors trying to fix the problem. I did a compression check and got 110 in every cylinder but I did not do a leak down test. If that doesn't fix it I have something really wrong in the motor, I truly hope that's not the case. Anyway, the point is please be careful going for those numbers.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:11 PM

Yay the gmail login works again, so odd....

Anyway - EvoXAddict - I think i saw your car at the tune shop and heard about the troubles. man that suxors.

But you are right, too much power is not a smart thing on the stock block.

I am hoping that E85 can give me a boost in power without sacrificing too much reliability, but who knows.

Thanks though for the word of caution, and thank Buddha i am poor and can mod the car too fast, otherwise i would likely have blown it already :P
Old Jun 11, 2011, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Those numbers are great!

I had that same exhaust on my first evo x... I had to use a hammer and put a dent in down pipe so it wouldn't tap on the t-case. That down pipe caused my t-case to leak so get it fixed as soon as you can.

At those boost levels I'm curious as to how much knock your getting. On 91 oct. I wouldn't boost more than 24psi... just my opinion.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 11:32 PM
Former Sponsor

No knock at all. I worked on the upper rpm trying to get that dip out but could not.

Car runs great and never stops pulling.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:29 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by KSIceman
Those are very nice numbers...does the dyno read high? I'm not calling you a liar, just wondering how it compares to other dynos. Either way, looks like a nice setup!
That dyno is set at 1.18 correction factor. So it's actually making 283whp / 326wtq in real life.

It's a bummer that is always left out from the sheets.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 13, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Nyx got tuned!