Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wjamyers
Everyone considering modding their cars should read this and take heed. I hear so many people here say "cams, for sure!" but it's not "for sure" unless the person who will drive the car every day is willing to put up with the consequences. After reading "cams, for sure!" 20 times here at EvoM I might have really started believing it would be right for me (I do love the lopey rally car sound when watching videos) but then I read this by someone who's been there and done that a few times and I start thinking ... what can I do SHORT of cams?

Thanks for all you do, Kracka, you may have saved me from making the same mistake.
Cams on an X aren't bad at all. I have some very aggressive ones with a 6 puck clutch and my car isn't "terrible" in traffic. It's not fun, but livable. With some mild cams and a twin disc it'd be no problem.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
OK it's been week....
I've surpassed 29k miles
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wjamyers
Thanks for all you do, Kracka, you may have saved me from making the same mistake.
You're welcome, glad you appreciate it! All I can do is share what I've learned over the years after modding 10+ cars to various levels.
Originally Posted by murlo26
Cams on an X aren't bad at all. I have some very aggressive ones with a 6 puck clutch and my car isn't "terrible" in traffic. It's not fun, but livable. With some mild cams and a twin disc it'd be no problem.
My X is always fun. To each their own, but if it's not fun to drive on a daily basis I may as well just sell it. I got stuck for at least an hour on a shutdown highway a few weeks ago due to a really bad accident and the whole time my car sat there idling smoothly with no strange rattles or vibrations while I streamed a Netflix movie on my phone. There is a huge difference between someone who uses their car as a weekend recreational car and someone who drives it day in and day out no matter what the conditions are.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
You're welcome, glad you appreciate it! All I can do is share what I've learned over the years after modding 10+ cars to various levels.

My X is always fun. To each their own, but if it's not fun to drive on a daily basis I may as well just sell it. I got stuck for at least an hour on a shutdown highway a few weeks ago due to a really bad accident and the whole time my car sat there idling smoothly with no strange rattles or vibrations while I streamed a Netflix movie on my phone. There is a huge difference between someone who uses their car as a weekend recreational car and someone who drives it day in and day out no matter what the conditions are.
It's not like I bought my car to sit, I drove it 70 miles a day in an hour of traffic a day for 25k miles, half of those with cams. It ran fine, didn't bother me at all

My car sits and idles just fine now too. Drove it to work several times before snow. If I had any money to buy snow rims/tires I would drive mine in the winter some too.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Like I said, to each their own. I drove my IX w/cams for ~25k miles and always at least partially regretted it. They guys at Cobb and everyone else keeps telling me to get cams, but everytime I ride in or drive a cammed car...well, it's a cammed car; not what I want mine to be at this point. It may be a different story if I had the SST transmission, but I like my manual
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Like I said, to each their own. I drove my IX w/cams for ~25k miles and always at least partially regretted it. They guys at Cobb and everyone else keeps telling me to get cams, but everytime I ride in or drive a cammed car...well, it's a cammed car; not what I want mine to be at this point. It may be a different story if I had the SST transmission, but I like my manual
I'm not suggesting you do it really, just saying on the X it's not as bad as an 8/9 with better MIVEC and better ECU control. The 8/9 was much worse than the X for cams.

I think your car is in the perfect DD spot, I wouldn't touch a thing if I were you honestly. I wish I had the control to stop around that point.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
I think your car is in the perfect DD spot, I wouldn't touch a thing if I were you honestly. I wish I had the control to stop around that point.
Thanks, I agree Stopping, and holding myself to it, is very hard, but it's something I've learned the hard way over the years. It seems like every car I've modded in the past I've always gone a little too far and regretted something.
-complete set of polyurethane motor mounts in my Talon
-4.57 rear-end gears in my S2k
-cams in my IX
-etc.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 16, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Chris, I want to meet up with you when you get up to Minnesota next year. I love the mods you have done. Plus, I am interested to see how quickly this bad boys spools up.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
Plus, I am interested to see how quickly this bad boys spools up.
I have been in FP green/red turbo'd ones and obviously stock one... Ef2 hits you like a thai hooker on fire. I loved it. When "spools like stock" is said... it isnt exaggerating it... Really. Its less than 100 rpms off. FP green is around 500rpm and even though that 400-500 rpm difference doesnt seem much, you can tell when you are in the vehicle.

Matter of fact, he confirmed my will of wanting this turbo after he did a pull for me when I was in Dallas and I will be getting one next week.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 08:06 AM

So is the top end of this turbo as good as a green?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
Chris, I want to meet up with you when you get up to Minnesota next year. I love the mods you have done. Plus, I am interested to see how quickly this bad boys spools up.
Sounds good! I always come back in July for my birthday and have a big get-together with my old buddies and the MitsuStyle guys. Just remind me and I'll shoot you the info and we can go for a rip
Originally Posted by anasmak11
So is the top end of this turbo as good as a green?
In my opinion, yes. Cobb estimated I would make 392 with a Green and I put down 400 with the EF2 so we'll call that pretty damn close.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

^ Chris, I will keep that in mind. Next July sounds like a plan!
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:27 PM

Sounds good! I always come back in July for my birthday and have a big get-together with my old buddies and the MitsuStyle guys. Just remind me and I'll shoot you the info and we can go for a rip

In my opinion, yes. Cobb estimated I would make 392 with a Green and I put down 400 with the EF2 so we'll call that pretty damn close.
So the EF2 spools sooner and has more top end than a green. Looks like a clear winner here. Now lets wait for a BB EF2
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:54 AM

Yeah, BB will not help spool, it is good for other things.

Just a quick theory, I don't think the EF2 will make the same peak as a green. The green has a custom larger impeller housing and wheel, where the EF2x uses the stock housing machined out with Map's proprietary wheel. I think the green would out peak it slightly, the EF2 would be sooner spooling and way more flat.

Maybe Chris C. can chime in on this, but the EF2 to me is the super spooler with a flat powerful top end, the Green is a less efficient peakier turbo.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

I still hope the BorgWarner EFR Turbos will come out to Evo X platform.

Quick Reply: Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!