Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ak47m203
I still hope the BorgWarner EFR Turbos will come out to Evo X platform.
It's just a matter of when the actual turbo will be available, Full Race already has manifolds and DP's for it. If you can get your hand on an actual EFR 7064 or 7670 you could be up and running in no time.

They are not going to have a steady supply until mid 2012.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by discogodfather
Just a quick theory, I don't think the EF2 will make the same peak as a green. The green has a custom larger impeller housing and wheel, where the EF2x uses the stock housing machined out with Map's proprietary wheel. I think the green would out peak it slightly, the EF2 would be sooner spooling and way more flat.
You're talking about FP's anti-surge compressor housing which MAP has for the EF3 and EF4, but there is zero reason to use it on the EF2 since it has no surge issues. It will not increase flow, and if anything, it'll slow spool and response. The Green's (and Red's for that matter) compressor wheel isn't too large for a machined stocked housing, HTA wheels just seem to have surge issues hence the anti-surge cover being standard. If you really want to maintain the stockframe housings you can opt out of the anti-surge cover. I've yet to experience surge with the EF2 nor has my friend with his EF3 in the stock housing. The EF4 (and Black) compressor wheels are too large for the stock cover though which is why they require the 3" inlet anti-surge housings.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 18, 2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by anasmak11
Now lets wait for a BB EF2
Meh, I'll save the $500 since it already has stock-like spool and transient response. If it were the same price then hell yeah, but considering $500 seems to be the going rate for the BB upgrade I'll pass.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
You're talking about FP's anti-surge compressor housing which MAP has for the EF3 and EF4, but there is zero reason to use it on the EF2 since it has no surge issues. It will not increase flow, and if anything, it'll slow spool and response. The Green's (and Red's for that matter) compressor wheel isn't too large for a machined stocked housing, HTA wheels just seem to have surge issues hence the anti-surge cover being standard. If you really want to maintain the stockframe housings you can opt out of the anti-surge cover. I've yet to experience surge with the EF2 nor has my friend with his EF3 in the stock housing. The EF4 (and Black) compressor wheels are too large for the stock cover though which is why they require the 3" inlet anti-surge housings.
Good to know, I am guessing on the EF2x vs green, but I should have a dyno of the EF2 on a fairly stock X with just a few bolts ons for comparison.

And yeah, BB is still very expensive at $500+. Considering a change my turbo every 40k miles anyway to try new things, I just can't seem to justify the extra cost.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:06 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FP green is not worth 3k. Its 2500 but then adding coat/port its 3k... ef2 will cost you 1800 coated and ported yet have less than a 100 rpm spool over stock and have better top end than the fp green? Why are we even talking about it lol.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by T6
FP green is not worth 3k. Its 2500 but then adding coat/port its 3k... ef2 will cost you 1800 coated and ported yet have less than a 100 rpm spool over stock and have better top end than the fp green? Why are we even talking about it lol.
that's a big difference in term of bucks to save.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

bump for more awesomeness
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:34 PM

that deffenitly has a nice curve to those numbers

Old Dec 28, 2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by T6
So where is the magical top end that the Ef2 has over the FP green? From what I've seen the green doesn't taper nearly as bad as the EF2 in the upper RPM bands.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HappyMint
So where is the magical top end that the Ef2 has over the FP green? From what I've seen the green doesn't taper nearly as bad as the EF2 in the upper RPM bands.
Power is climbing all the way to 7k RPM, I'm not sure what exactly you're looking at, but that's quite impressive on the stock cams. Are you talking about the boost? If so, that's called tuning. More boost isn't always better, especially on pump gas.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HappyMint
I don't think anyone has said the EF2 makes more top end and I would be surprised to hear people think that.

The FPgreen is a bigger turbo, its laggier and has more top end. The EF2 for a quick response turbo has most of the bang for less lag.

The stock frame turbo world is simple...if you want more power you get more lag. I haven't seen much at all to show that people can magically make more power with one vs another without sacrificing something. It's all about balance in the stock frame world imo.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

I have never stated the EF2 has more top-end than the Green, but I also do not believe the Green has more top-end than the EF2. Concerning peak power, I think they're very equivalent turbos, but with the spool/response advantage going to the EF2 (I believe this is due to the compressor wheel blade design).
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
I have never stated the EF2 has more top-end than the Green, but I also do not believe the Green has more top-end than the EF2. Concerning peak power, I think they're very equivalent turbos, but with the spool/response advantage going to the EF2 (I believe this is due to the compressor wheel blade design).
Clipse is making 460whp on his green on pump gas, Chris made that on his ef2 on E85....I'd say the green has more in it.

I never said you claimed it did, but people were throwing that around.

I don't want to turn this into some dyno war though. This is a good thread demonstrating the EF2 to be a great upgrade to a stock motor for 400+ with no lag really.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Chris [Carey] also had a weak setup with practically no supporting mods...

Anyway, back on topic since you can't actually even buy a Green for the X unless you're willing to buy one of five DBB versions to be produced
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey now it was a work in progress lol

Quick Reply: Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!