Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by m3typer
I like this turbo....A lot. It spools basically like stock, pulls to redline, and adds about 50whp on top, all the while being within reliable limits of the block. All pros no cons

Originally Posted by oozkarao
One important question then: What else does it really need on top of Stage 2?
- Does it require bigger injectors even for non-E85 fuels?
- Stock 2011 GSRs can hold the boost up to as much 28-29 PSI; so perhaps '11 models wouldn't need a 3-port solenoid, either?

I am seriously considering this turbo before next summer, and was thinking I would install it along with ETS's downpipe to maximize its flow, and injectors (w/ pump) only if it's necessary, and that's it.

In other words: '11 Evo X Stage 2 (see signature) + EF2X + downpipe + injector/pump (if necessary): What do you guys think about this combo?
Sounds like a winning combo to me You will want injectors and a pump just to maximize safety by giving yourself plenty of headroom. You should definitely use a 3-port for boost control too; the '11 turbo and stock boost control is the same as the 2008-2010. Just because it can hit a peak of 29psi doesn't mean it can hold anywhere near that to redline. You can try using the stock solenoids, but for the low cost I think it would cause your tuner more headache than it's worth.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great set up and power band, krack head!

Enjoy it!!! That's plenty of power for a very fun dd car!

-Jalal
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the other necessities? FMIC is required or no? I remember I read somewhere that the stock FMIC outflows the stock turbo and is plenty for many aftermarket turbos. I do want to keep my FMIC since I like the fact that having a lighter stock design compared to aftermarket ones.

How about the filter? Is this a bottleneck on turbo swap? I am also running a cosworth drop in filter
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Sounds like a winning combo to me You will want injectors and a pump just to maximize safety by giving yourself plenty of headroom. You should definitely use a 3-port for boost control too; the '11 turbo and stock boost control is the same as the 2008-2010. Just because it can hit a peak of 29psi doesn't mean it can hold anywhere near that to redline. You can try using the stock solenoids, but for the low cost I think it would cause your tuner more headache than it's worth.
Himm, as the first step to get serious, I started talking to English Racing about this upgrade's labor cost:
  • FIC 900cc injectors
  • EF2X
  • Walbro255 (inline)
  • ETS recirculating downpipe
  • Clutch Masters FC200 + Magnus master cylinder upgrade
  • Jack's Trans tranny rebuild

Well, I don't see EF2X available on MAP's site, though; that'd be a problem!

I live in Seattle region; do you guys know of any other reputable tuners I should check with for such an upgrade?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Himm, as the first step to get serious, I started talking to English Racing about this upgrade's labor cost:
  • FIC 900cc injectors
  • EF2X
  • Walbro255 (inline)
  • ETS recirculating downpipe
  • Clutch Masters FC200 + Magnus master cylinder upgrade
  • Jack's Trans tranny rebuild

I live in Seattle region; do you guys know of any other reputable tuners I should check with for such an upgrade?
ummm Cobb?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by glamcem
ummm Cobb?
They're closed on Mondays; I can check with them on Tuesday.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
^there's a Cobb branch in the Seattle area?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:18 PM

There's one south of Portland, OR..
Originally Posted by warmmilk
^there's a Cobb branch in the Seattle area?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
oh yeah, I knew about surgeline... if it were my car (or when ever I get around to doing this) i'd just take it to English. IMO they're the best shop in the NW and one of the best in the country for Evo's...
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:08 PM

EF2x is available same prices as the 8/9 turbo, two week wait time according to MAP, phoned them today. Also available is send in your turbo and convert to EF2x specs, much cheaper. Did not get a turn around time for that service.

Getting ready to pull the trigger, plans are just to have the EF2 turbo, downpipe, and larger injectors and a tune, no other mods, all stock intake and exhaust. Will be interesting to see what kind of power, hoping 325 / 300+ on 91 @25psi with similar lag to a stocker and no boost drop-off.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

If anyone needs a perfect condition stock turbo to be sent in as a core...LMK
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:37 AM

Interesting to see a green vs the EF2 setup, slightly lower boost. Looks like the green has more boost lag and produces less torque down low. The MAP has a slightly better spool than stock, but nearly identical.

Is this turbo the chosen one?
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Ignore your stock baseline...that is meaningless. For one its an MR, which tend to make a little less power on the dyno.

If you want to compare, look at Kracka's tune on his stock before he put the EF2 on it, better comparison.

And this graph does show an EF2 making more than the green but pretty much always more lag means more top end. So if the EF2 is making more top end the green setup wasn't ideal.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Evo X turbos aren't officially launched yet, we're just making sure we've got our ducks in a row before we open the flood gates In the interim we will accept orders but we may not be able to accommodate expedited orders as of yet.

Originally Posted by discogodfather
EF2x is available same prices as the 8/9 turbo, two week wait time according to MAP, phoned them today. Also available is send in your turbo and convert to EF2x specs, much cheaper. Did not get a turn around time for that service.
They are close, but slightly different:

Evo X Variations

New EF2 $1684.99
New EF3 $1784.99 *Includes oil feed line, 3" turbo inlet pipe, and choice of compressor cover
New EF4 $1999.99 *Include oil feed line, 3" turbo inlet pipe, and anti-surge cover

EF1 Upgrade (Compressor wheel only) $649.99
EF2 Upgrade $999.99
EF3 Upgrade $1379.99 *Includes oil feed line, 3" turbo inlet pipe, and choice of compressor cover
EF4 Upgrade $1379.99 *Include oil feed line, 3" turbo inlet pipe, and anti-surge cover

Last edited by ChrisCarey; Oct 26, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by discogodfather
Is this turbo the chosen one?
Honestly, I think it's my favorite street turbo I've yet to experience. The fact it spools and has the transient response of stock is huge for me.

Quick Reply: Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!