Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

First of all, I want to thank multiple people and shops who helped make this happen! MAPerformance for their fantastic customer service and products, Cobb Tuning - Plano for taking the time and care I expect when working on my car and their attention to detail during tuning, and all my good friends for discussing setups, bouncing ideas off of, and shuttling me all around while my car was at Cobb!

I have been using Cobb Tuning - Plano for about a year now for tuning, labor-intensive installs, etc. so this should be a fairly accurate comparison since all dyno charts and tunes are from the same dyno with the same tuner, and oddly enough the weather cooperated and kept the conditions fairly consistent!

WW 2010 Evo X GSR SSS
93-octane pump gas
AFE DryflowS intake (stock MAF housing)
Cobb turbo inlet pipe
MAP EF2X turbo (ported/coated/HP WGA)
Grimspeed 3-port BCS
Nisei UICP
MAP FMIC
Depo LICP
Cobb XLE BPV
Mil.Spec 64mm throttle body
Mil.Spec ported intake manifold
ID1000 fuel injectors
Walbro 255HP fuel pump with Cobb install kit
PPI ported/coated exhaust manifold
MAP o2 elim downpipe (coated)
ETS testpipe
Cobb catback
*bold indicates new mod installed with the turbo

Below are the before and after charts. Blue is my previous setup, and red is the new setup. The only charges are above in bold.

horsepower/torque

boost/AFR

As you can see above, this turbo has huge gains above 6k RPM while still spooling like stock! Down low, besides for the change in noise (it sounds wicked), you'd swear you're driving a stock turbo car. It is just as responsive and spools almost identically, but once you get on it and it climbs into the upper RPM's it's like, "WHOA! WTF? Why isn't the power falling off?!?!" and it just keeps pulling! Very impressive indeed, I've yet to see a stockframe turbo spool like stock yet still provide these kinds of gains in the upper powerband.

I only have about 30 miles on it so far, but initial impression is that this is possibly the ultimate daily-driver street car turbo. Even at highway cruising speed in 5th gear when you lightly roll into the gas the turbo responds and pulls just like the stock turbo for effortless passing of another car. The slightest amount of gas is all it takes for this turbo to respond!

I'll continue to update this thread as I get more experience with this setup and get a better feel for it.

On to some pictures of the turbo...

Since there has been some discussion on the forum lately on how high pressure wastegate actuators should be pre-tensioned I will add that it did come out of the box pre-tensioned to half an eyelet/3 full turns from zero pre-tension. This actually turned out to be too much for what we were aiming for on my pump gas setup so all pre-tension was removed. The wastegate would begin to crack open around 19psi and would hold a steady 22psi; this should be about perfect for my setup so the ECU can still downward correct and I can run a conservative 91-octane "safe" tune while traveling in areas without good gas.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome write up as usual, I am amazed how fast it actually spools up compared to stock (only 150rpm move than stock I believe is what I was told :P). Only negative side that I can even think of is the drop in torque. You know me, I love torque lol but you did pick up a lot of WHP and while driving you seem to have enjoyed it so far Gratz again and keep us posted with more info as you get it
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:24 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I feel like that torque loss is kinda over-stated in the graphs. That little loss in spool is going to be nothing in the real world and the gains up top are going to be all that matters. MAP seems to have hit a serious home-run with this turbo, perfect size for 100% stock long-block cars running pump gas or e85. Look how wide and flat the torque curve is! 300wtq from 3250-7000rpm--wow! This turbo is going to help keep the spirit of what it is--an evo!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Subscribed I'm ready to upgrade the red. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:34 PM

That looks great! Cant wait to see E85 results as well.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

Awesome!!! This is a great setup.

How much more power do you think is on the table if you swapped out the PnP exhaust mani, for a tubular mani?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 10:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
WOW, i really like the top end gain for the minimal loss down low.

the fact that its just a slight offset in power down low is a lot better than something that looks laggy & hits hard once she gets excited.

Nice turbo!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that deffenitly has a nice curve to those numbers
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:57 AM
EvoM Moderator

When you compare this car to your typical bolt-on X, the setup shines even more. Adding the ported IM/TB/EM help this combo a lot. If you compare the new setup with those vs your car before you had all the little extras, wow:

It's ALL about the combo!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Wow. Great numbers Kracka. This is the turbo I will be getting. No question.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ugakirk
Wow. Great numbers Kracka. This is the turbo I will be getting. No question.
You will not be disappointed! I've been thoroughly enjoying myself for these first 50 miles
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by The__J__Factor
That looks great! Cant wait to see E85 results as well.
E85 results are here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...o-results.html
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HAHAV8
How much more power do you think is on the table if you swapped out the PnP exhaust mani, for a tubular mani?
Talking with Calvin @ Cobb (tuner) yesterday he thinks right now my car's biggest restriction are the stock cams, after that would probably be the cast exhaust manifold. I don't like taking wild guesses, but he was talking in the area of 40WHP being possible if I did those two things, plus they would yield a much fatter mid-range too.

To be honest though, I don't have plans to do either. I like the reliability of the ported/coated cast manifold with a heatshield, plus I think the lower engine bay temps are a good thing for a DD street-car. I don't want to have to worry about melting my valve cover, sensors, wiring harnesses, etc. As far as the cams go, I want the car to remain as smooth and livable as possible since I do commute daily and sometimes get stuck in traffic. Cams and a lightweight flywheel really made my Evo IX a bear to drive in traffic and ruined the enjoyment of it for me.

Last edited by Kracka; Oct 20, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 08:51 AM

You can heat wrap the manifold and spray with sylicone to keep the heat in. Or get the ones that are already coated. I don't think youd have to worry about melting anything. Are there cams available with decent gains but arent a crazy duration/lsa to give smooth driving? I'd do some more research before giving up!!

Last edited by sujomatt; Oct 20, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
EvoM Moderator

Originally Posted by sujomatt
You can heat wrap the manifold and spray with sylicone to keep the heat in. Or get the ones that are already coated. I don't think youd have to worry about melting anything. Are there cams available with decent gains but arent a crazy duration/lsa to give smooth driving? I'd do some more research before giving up!!
he's already got ceramic coating on the exhaust mani + the heat shield.

I love the stock-longblock theme of this car, I say skip cams. Tubular manifold would definitely be an easy 25whp up top but chances are it would hurt the torque around 3500rpm a bit.

Cams might help up top 5-10whp but will definitely add torque down low, but the effort involved in installing may not be worth it unless you are taking the head off for other reasons. I do love my kelford 214-b's they're a nice mix of driveability and torque/power gain--not too crazy of a cam.

Decisions decisions, just enjoy it for now

Quick Reply: Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!