Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by sujomatt
You can heat wrap the manifold and spray with sylicone to keep the heat in. Or get the ones that are already coated. I don't think youd have to worry about melting anything. Are there cams available with decent gains but arent a crazy duration/lsa to give smooth driving? I'd do some more research before giving up!!
2010+ evos have plastic valve covers. It's not a good idea to use a manifold unless you get a metal valve cover, like the '08's
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:46 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by ugakirk
2010+ evos have plastic valve covers. It's not a good idea to use a manifold unless you get a metal valve cover, like the '08's
Just FYI the 2009 and 2010 Ralliarts have the metal valve covers still.

It's a good bit of info to know.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sujomatt
You can heat wrap the manifold and spray with sylicone to keep the heat in. Or get the ones that are already coated. I don't think youd have to worry about melting anything. Are there cams available with decent gains but arent a crazy duration/lsa to give smooth driving? I'd do some more research before giving up!!
I'm not really giving up at all, if I truly wanted these things I'd definitely make it happen. I have researched all the parts and know what's out there. If I were to upgrade, I'd probably do MAP's long-runner tubular and some GSC S1 camshafts since the Kelford -B's are a bit rougher than I want and the -A's are too mild. For now though I am really happy and plan to just enjoy the car and hopefully it proves to be as reliable as I hope! Honestly, my next "upgrade" will probably be the clutch since I'm making nice power and it already has 26k miles on it (all of which modded & tuned).
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful numbers Kracka. Making me excited for my EF3 comin in!!
MAPs turbos looks promising, Watch out FP!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Talking with Calvin @ Cobb (tuner) yesterday he thinks right now my car's biggest restriction are the stock cams, after that would probably be the cast exhaust manifold. I don't like taking wild guesses, but he was talking in the area of 40WHP being possible if I did those two things, plus they would yield a much fatter mid-range too.

To be honest though, I don't have plans to do either. I like the reliability of the ported/coated cast manifold with a heatshield, plus I think the lower engine bay temps are a good thing for a DD street-car. I don't want to have to worry about melting my valve cover, sensors, wiring harnesses, etc. As far as the cams go, I want the car to remain as smooth and livable as possible since I do commute daily and sometimes get stuck in traffic. Cams and a lightweight flywheel really made my Evo IX a bear to drive in traffic and ruined the enjoyment of it for me.
This is my exact thought on the cams, and I was on the line with the tubular manifold, but am having second thoughts for now. Also it does not really seem cost effective to add cams/tubular manifold, to a turbo of this size, just because you'll be spending near almost $1000 for manifold, and $800 for cams+ install, for only 40whp.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder what this turbo would do on a completely stock evo hmmmm...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by GoodTimes
I wonder what this turbo would do on a completely stock evo hmmmm...
You should try it and let us know..

I would guess around 340ish hp. Just the car would pull all the way to redline and drive amazing.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Nice numbers for the almost stock like spool...but not impressive enough for me to spend the $1,700 or what ever it is for this turbo... BUT, I am excited to see the EF3 numbers.

Last edited by Freebs; Oct 20, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Freebs
Nice numbers for the almost stock like spool...but not impressive enough for me to spend the $1,700 or what ever it is for this turbo... BUT, I am excited to see the EF3 numbers.
Send in your stock turbo, get the upgrade, its a lot cheaper.

This turbo basically has no downside..typically you are sacrificing spool and downlow torque for the gains up top, this you don't sacrifice anything at all really.

It's pretty much the way the turbo should be stock
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Freebs
Meh. It's exactly what I wanted, like Murlo said, no real downside. It has the spool/response of stock, but the top-end pull of any other small stockframe upgrade. Win-win IMO. My biggest goals are keeping the car fun, smooth, and reliable.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Talking with Calvin @ Cobb (tuner) yesterday he thinks right now my car's biggest restriction are the stock cams, after that would probably be the cast exhaust manifold. I don't like taking wild guesses, but he was talking in the area of 40WHP being possible if I did those two things, plus they would yield a much fatter mid-range too.
What did Calvin think this beast would put down on E-85?

This looks like a nice option especially considering the torque loss would only matter from a stop or slow roll once you're moving you'd never be that low in the rpm band to notice the loss.

I noticed that the power starts to drop off at 7k pretty significantly, is the turbo running out of steam at that boost/rpm combo or was it the cams holding it back and Calvin didn't want to rev it out any higher on the stock cams?

I need to talk to you about this setup for sure at the next meet dude. Lookin good!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilverEvoX
What did Calvin think this beast would put down on E-85?

This looks like a nice option especially considering the torque loss would only matter from a stop or slow roll once you're moving you'd never be that low in the rpm band to notice the loss.

I noticed that the power starts to drop off at 7k pretty significantly, is the turbo running out of steam at that boost/rpm combo or was it the cams holding it back and Calvin didn't want to rev it out any higher on the stock cams?

I need to talk to you about this setup for sure at the next meet dude. Lookin good!
Calvin said he thinks it could easily do 440+ on E85 with my setup (i.e. stock cams).

I didn't ask Calvin about 7k+ RPM, but considering the boost is still holding steady up there I'm going to guess it's not the turbo running out of steam. I'm sure it has more to do with my stock cams/springs and Calvin not pushing my setup to the absolute limit so things stay nice and reliable on the street.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats Kracka, Enjoy the whip while it last. Before you know it, you would get used to the power and want more of it!!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 07:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm thoroughly enjoying my ~460whp as well, I'm not really looking forward to the EF3 and the corresponding broken parts lol.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Hence my EF2 decision

Quick Reply: Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!