Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This car has a lot of mods here and there

Do we really need all those additional bolt-ons for this turbo to run efficiently? In other words, considering it does not do much torque (and possibly runs the air cooler than the stock turbo since the stock unit runs too hot at high boost), could we just add this turbo to a Stage 2 car and have good gains? My car is currently stage 2. I am considering a turbo upgrade, but I would much rather just change the turbo and leave the rest as is. In fact, I'd rather not even change the stock FMIC
Old Oct 23, 2011, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Go for it then, the additional mods just make the gains that much larger, it will be a great turbo to add to a standard stage 2 package!
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

How much power do you think the ported em/im/tb are adding?

Do you feel this turbo will produce slightly less power than an Green/BBX lite?
Old Oct 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HAHAV8

Here is my chart before/after the ported IM/TB/EM (I did them all at the same time):

Originally I had purchased a FP Green but then decided to go for the EF2 instead. Cobb has a lot of experience with the Green and estimated I would pick up ~40whp with the Green on stock cams. I ended up gaining 48whp with the EF2 so I'm going to call that very close and say the peak gains would be equivalent, but with the advantage of spool and transient response going to the EF2. These turbos are all in the same ballpark.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the graph and write up!

I've been doing as much research as possible already, looking for the same thing you were, quick spool, good drivability, and most importantly realiability.

Hopefully there will be more people who try this turbo out and post up their graphs, this turbo looks impressive, since most greens/lites I see ususally gain 40-50whp over the stock turbo in the higher RPMs, but don't quite have the same spool as this, which makes this a very good possibility for my next turbo.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 02:53 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by oozkarao
This car has a lot of mods here and there

Do we really need all those additional bolt-ons for this turbo to run efficiently? In other words, considering it does not do much torque (and possibly runs the air cooler than the stock turbo since the stock unit runs too hot at high boost), could we just add this turbo to a Stage 2 car and have good gains? My car is currently stage 2. I am considering a turbo upgrade, but I would much rather just change the turbo and leave the rest as is. In fact, I'd rather not even change the stock FMIC
You can throw turbos on mostly stock cars but you really need supporting mods to get the most out of it, especially on pump gas. On e85 it's less of an issue IMHO but on pump you really need a bigger fmic to consistently and reliably (read: long-term safety for your short block) make good power numbers. I put off some of these supporting mods when I did my BBX because I wanted to keep my car as simple as possible...long story short I never saw the numbers out of it I wanted until I had a bigger fmic, pipes, and manifold done.

Originally Posted by HAHAV8

Don't forget that adding mods to stock turbo will yield different gains than on an aftermarket one....it's all about percentages. Ported stuff might yield say 10whp on a stock turbo but on an aftermarket one it might be 15+
Old Oct 24, 2011, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
I'm thoroughly enjoying my ~460whp as well, I'm not really looking forward to the EF3 and the corresponding broken parts lol.
So you think the EF3 is going to blow motors? I'm assuming that's because of the torque it might hit on E85?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thoroughly enjoying my ~460whp as well, I'm not really looking forward to the EF3 and the corresponding broken parts lol.
You are at good level now If you weren't a shop owner I'd say don't do it, lol.

But get er done since you are!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jyamona
So you think the EF3 is going to blow motors? I'm assuming that's because of the torque it might hit on E85?
I think it has the power potential to blow stock motors lol, even moreso when in the wrong hands in regards to tuning. I'm more concerned about my stock clutch and stock head bolts / head gasket!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I think it has the power potential to blow stock motors lol, even moreso when in the wrong hands in regards to tuning. I'm more concerned about my stock clutch and stock head bolts / head gasket!
My stock clutch, head bolts and gasket held up pretty well on my FPred on E85 at 33psi

The clutch slipped in 5th a bit so I threw in the ACT 6 puck but still had some grab left even after 24k miles.

The head bolts and head gasket are pretty damn good on the X, very very few people have had problems.

I'd say the rods will go first imo.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:14 AM

Youre refferring to completly bone stock motors right ?? Cause I ordered the EF3 and I do have supporting mods on a stock block..
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I'm saying is that the EF3 turbocharger is capable of making more power than the limitations of a stock shortblock. You just need to be careful when tuning and select a power level that you and your tuner agree upon is safe for your application.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

All I'm saying is that the EF3 turbocharger is capable of making more power than the limitations of a stock shortblock. You just need to be careful when tuning and select a power level that you and your tuner agree upon is safe for your application.
I would hope this would be the case w/ any turbo Hell, the stock turbo can toast your block if you're running a huge boost spike for torque.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:12 PM

I like this turbo....A lot. It spools basically like stock, pulls to redline, and adds about 50whp on top, all the while being within reliable limits of the block. All pros no cons...if I ever upgrade...indeed, it will be this.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Go for it then, the additional mods just make the gains that much larger, it will be a great turbo to add to a standard stage 2 package!
One important question then: What else does it really need on top of Stage 2?
- Does it require bigger injectors even for non-E85 fuels?
- Stock 2011 GSRs can hold the boost up to as much 28-29 PSI; so perhaps '11 models wouldn't need a 3-port solenoid, either?

I am seriously considering this turbo before next summer, and was thinking I would install it along with ETS's downpipe to maximize its flow, and injectors (w/ pump) only if it's necessary, and that's it.

In other words: '11 Evo X Stage 2 (see signature) + EF2X + downpipe + injector/pump (if necessary): What do you guys think about this combo?

Quick Reply: Kracka's MAP EF2X turbo dyno results - 416WHP on pump gas!