Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

Self tuning X GSR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Self tuning X GSR

Here's a virtual dyno plot of where I'm currently at with my self-tune. I've got my boost nearly dialed in (it's still pretty cold where I am so the boost is spiking a bit higher than what I want). The tune is not complete, as I'm still running fairly rich. I'm slowing bringing my AFR values up and making some minor tweaks to timing to keep knock in check, while still trying to make decent power. I'm on 91oct fuel at this point so I'm keeping things conservative. This tune is taking me a LONG time to complete as I have been making only tiny tweaks as I go, trying to get everything perfect.

I'm going to tune the boost as the weather gets warmer to around 24 psi tapering to 19/20.

Edit - the dip at the end of the graph occurred when the road surface changed from level at the end of this run.

My relevant mods are:
AMS UICP + FMIC
Magnaflow CBE
Depo HFC
AEM intake

I'm running a simple boost pill mod for boost tuning at this point, seems to be giving good results. I may tackle an EBC later on.

Last edited by SudzRA; Mar 28, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Props to you for doing it yourself, its gotta be a good feeling when you tweak, run and baam make more power huh? its all about taking your time and doing it, i wish i could. Good job keep us updated, and run some ethanol on that b..ch lol.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
look into adding RAX patch to your rom. richardjh made it. it adds a good layer of safety from temp related overboost by adding IAT adjusted BWGDC.

here is a link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...m-patches.html

Last edited by momostallion; Apr 1, 2012 at 07:17 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by momostallion
look into adding RAX patch to your rom. richardjh made it. it adds a good layer of safety from temp related overboost by adding IAT adjusted BWGDC.

here is a link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...m-patches.html

I intend to use that patch, but I want to wait until the temperature goes up a bit so I can see the difference the temp makes to the tune. I also don't want to add another variable to the tune until it is finalized (which it almost is).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:53 PM

Very impressive
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:24 AM

Using Cobb or open source?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Running open source. I pretty much finalized the tune now, just waiting for the weather to warm up so I can log and re-adjust it. I'll use that data to fine tune the RAX patch.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 07:55 AM

I am a software engineer and always wanted to get my hands on tuning, but I think the knowledge of mechanics is of more essence here
If you have time, please share how/what guide in a blog or here of what it takes to DIY
Old Apr 7, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fedormax
I am a software engineer and always wanted to get my hands on tuning, but I think the knowledge of mechanics is of more essence here
If you have time, please share how/what guide in a blog or here of what it takes to DIY
you can start here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...-ecuflash.html

then you can read merlins guide to tuning.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

I've had some experience tuning cars, before I had the X, I self-tuned a boosted Civic and then helped tune my friends VR6 swapped VW Golf. I played a bit with the tune on my RA, but had Bryan (Razorlab) tune that because the SST gearbox is just well beyond my abilities. I traded my RA for an X, and then buried myself in hours of research and tuning guides before I took a shot at tuning it. I started with a Gunzo basemap, and then slowly tweaked from there. There's just no way I could properly explain what I did here any better than what the Merlin guide already says. If you're going to do this yourself, start with one aspect of the tune (i.e. boost, or AFR, or timing) , learn everything you can about it, and then slowly tweak it until you hit your target. Then, move onto the next aspect.