Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jubey97
hello Kracka

there's a map ef2.5 group sale, I'm thinking on getting on that list. I live close to cobb tunning in plano. Just wondering how is your car holding up with that much torque? Do I need to upgrade my stock fuel system to attain 400whp/340tq? I already have all suporting mods,injen intake, ams TP, ams single exhaust, and ets 3.5 intercooler. Could I just replace the turbo myself and drive to plano for a tuning staying out of boost Im about 25 miles away? thanks.
Yes you will need injectors and a fuel pump.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Jubey97
there's a map ef2.5 group sale, I'm thinking on getting on that list. I live close to cobb tunning in plano. Just wondering how is your car holding up with that much torque? Do I need to upgrade my stock fuel system to attain 400whp/340tq? I already have all suporting mods,injen intake, ams TP, ams single exhaust, and ets 3.5 intercooler. Could I just replace the turbo myself and drive to plano for a tuning staying out of boost Im about 25 miles away? thanks.
For your goals I would honestly just get the EF2 rather than the 2.5; the 2.5 will surpass your whp and wtq requirements. My car seems to be holding up perfectly, I daily-drive it and I'm north of 50k miles already. Stock longblock and clutch! You will need to upgrade your fuel system. I personally have the ID1000 injectors and Cobb's Walbro 255HP fuel pump kit and it's perfect for this setup on 93-octane pump gas. If you want to install it yourself and drive there that'll be perfectly safe, please just stay out of boost and be gentle with the car until they can get the tune perfected for your new setup. You can install the fuel pump and drive the car, but the injectors can not be installed until you're at Cobb ready for the tune.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Here are my latest results, these are with the standard 3" compressor cover rather than the 3" anti-surge cover. This seems to be the winning setup if you ask me; 200 RPM quicker spool, better response, more torque, nearly identical horsepower, and of course one less option to pay for

Driving impressions are great! No surge issues could be felt and it drove very nicely. Initial impressions are it drives just as smooth as the anti-surge version, but give me another few days to truly experience the turbo in more scenarios. Oddly enough, turbo intake noise is slightly more with the standard cover than with the anti-surge version.

My final verdict: Standard cover is the way to order this turbo. Save yourself a few bucks and enjoy the quicker spool/response times!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:01 PM

was this just bolted on and run on the dyno or did the tuner tweak the map at all?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Full retune, no half-assed tweaks The comparison to be ideal has to be full custom tune for each particular setup.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
interesting the cover made that much difference.
were dyno temps similar?
retune would leave me a skeptic. always possible to find new power. and this type of change simply put should not need a retune. a no retune back to back would be more accurate.

so if data is true me thoughts on bullet hole cover are even worse. slows spool and does nothing for surge. my own direct no other change swap to a precision bullet cover did not spool slower for me. just didn't stop surge I had.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
looks like the ef2 was hitting 360tq a full 600rpm sooner. so I would say its far more than just a small loss. I would agree with quote below. but would like to see current overlay which should put ef2 spooling only 400rpm faster and still worthy of quote below.

EF2 all the way based on that chart lol.

I agree I don't think the other cover will do much but it might make the change worth while. It seems the EF2 wheels are a better match and the results above could easily be different temp/weather changes.

So this just appears that the EF2.5 added lag without any payoff
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Doesn't bode well for the new MHI turbo either...The wheel specs for the new MHI turbo and the EF2.5 Kracka tested are nearly identical...

are you suggesting MAPs turbo design team is a good as the largest turbo manufacture on the planet? not to mention the Robert secret sauce added in...

the one dyno graph from UK on the turbo suggests the turbo is a home run.

The Evo X version we tested gave the best blend of response and top end power of any bolt on turbo I have tried The first graph shows my Evo X completely standard verses the new MHI Billet Turbo: Note that it makes exactly double the power (spooky!) but the low down power & torque is delivered in the same way.
It is also surge free in all gears & very, very responsive.

and here is comparison of mhi to gtx3076 which also has similar wheel size spec as ef2.5 and new mhi

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Dec 23, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:56 AM

That's at the flywheel. I imagine the ef2.5 at the flywheel looks the same.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
interesting the cover made that much difference.
were dyno temps similar?
retune would leave me a skeptic. always possible to find new power. and this type of change simply put should not need a retune. a no retune back to back would be more accurate.

so if data is true me thoughts on bullet hole cover are even worse. slows spool and does nothing for surge. my own direct no other change swap to a precision bullet cover did not spool slower for me. just didn't stop surge I had.
Dyno room temps were similar, as were ambient temps. Dallas is having an unseasonably warm December. Same tuner, same dyno, similar weather...nothing to be skeptic of. If I didn't retune people would complain that the tune was optimized for one setup rather than the other, if I do retune people are skeptical of that, etc. This is real world testing, not laboratory, there is no such thing as perfect or ideal If you care, I use the same dyno and tuner than Robert @ FP uses.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

looks like the ef2 was hitting 360tq a full 600rpm sooner. so I would say its far more than just a small loss. I would agree with quote below. but would like to see current overlay which should put ef2 spooling only 400rpm faster and still worthy of quote below.
Once we're able to directly overlay them on their online dyno database we'll have a much clearer picture. I'm hoping we'll be able to have it on Wednesday. What you claim as 600 is actually just over 400, EF2 hits 359 @ 3600, EF2.5 w/AS hits 362 @ 4050 (drilling into the dyno database details). Subtract ~200 from that and the EF2.5 w/std is hitting ~360 @ ~3800. I'm satisfied +12whp/+15wtq for a ~200 RPM loss in spool. They are different turbos though and different people are going to want different things. I honestly can't decide which is the better DD street turbo, they both have their advantages. If I still autocrossed I would say the EF2 is superior, but the extra top-end is fun for highway pulls and ripping through the gears on entrance ramps.

With all three of these turbochargers sitting here I'm willing to toss out the EF2.5 with anti-surge as a no thank you, but the EF2 and EF2.5 w/3" standard cover are both winners, depending on your goals and usage.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

are you suggesting MAPs turbo design team is a good as the largest turbo manufacture on the planet? not to mention the Robert secret sauce added in...

the one dyno graph from UK on the turbo suggests the turbo is a home run.

The Evo X version we tested gave the best blend of response and top end power of any bolt on turbo I have tried The first graph shows my Evo X completely standard verses the new MHI Billet Turbo: Note that it makes exactly double the power (spooky!) but the low down power & torque is delivered in the same way.
It is also surge free in all gears & very, very responsive.

and here is comparison of mhi to gtx3076 which also has similar wheel size spec as ef2.5 and new mhi
That is amazing. Looks like someone was told to just draw their idea dyno sheet...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:39 AM

its still only an engine dyno thats flywheel hp, look at an ef4 or black at the flywheel and youd likely see 8-900 hp dyno. ill be more interested in ken-x on the other forums results with that turbo. granted it will be in VD.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you suggesting MAPs turbo design team is a good as the largest turbo manufacture on the planet?
With that reasoning, Toyota makes "better" cars than Ferrari or Porsche
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as you're suggesting that Robert's "secret sauce" is a necessary resource for said largest turbo manufacturer? You're also a bit misinformed if you think that our wheel design was done in house We know how our EF2 and EF3 turbos perform in comparison to the FP variations, and based on inducer and exducer specs I'm confident that the EF2.5 is an apples to apples comparison to the new MHI turbo. I'm sure it won't be long before we have some results from a US based outfit and then we can draw our conclusions.

Quick Reply: MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano