Notices
Evo X Dyno Results Discuss vendor and member dyno tuning techniques, results and graphs.

MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by DocBoz
That's at the flywheel. I imagine the ef2.5 at the flywheel looks the same.
that may be flywheel hp. but so are dynojet numbers . 266whp dynojet is about average for stock evo X.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
that may be flywheel hp. but so are dynojet numbers . 266whp dynojet is about average for stock evo X.
Which is not crank hp as stated by the manufacturer. Dynojets measure at the wheels, this is why they display lower than a manufacturer's stated rating. Nor are any of my results stated as crank or Dynojet numbers.

Please do not clutter up my threads by taking them off-topic. Thank you.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
its hardly clutter when an important point is being made. the point is the APT dyno numbers are hardly inflated when the baseline numbers are pretty much identical to dynojet numbers here in the states. there is not really a better was to compare two different dynoes other than comparing what baseline numbers are.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Nobody here is talking about Dynojet numbers though, at least my results sure aren't.

Either way, it is clearly OT clutter since they're supposed charts from another turbo in another country. Again, not relevant in the least to this thread. Not trying to be a dick, but it seems like you've come into this thread with nothing but negativity and an agenda of your own.

Not to mention we have zero information on this car that was supposedly dyno'd and have no idea what type of parts/fuel it's running. I do not like partial facts and/or half truths being posted in a thread of mine where I've remained 100% transparent. The new MHI turbo has been on the same dyno I use, with the same tuner tuning it, and it put down results very similar to a Green. These are private results though so unfortunately I do not have access to the dyno charts. I look forward to seeing them once someone goes public with their own detailed personal results. Until then, we have nothing but speculation to go from.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 27, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
We know how our EF2 and EF3 turbos perform in comparison to the FP variations, and based on inducer and exducer specs I'm confident that the EF2.5 is an apples to apples comparison to the new MHI turbo. I'm sure it won't be long before we have some results from a US based outfit and then we can draw our conclusions.
I agree, thank you.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

EF2 vs. EF2.5 anti-surge vs. EF2.5 standard:

Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kracka

I've been looking at your dyno numbers for the last couple of days on Cobb's website. I think the 2.5 with the anti surge would be my option. Numbers look good. Thanks for bing the R&D.

CJ
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

With the anti-surge? I would urge you to go with the standard cover rather than the anti-surge cover.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With respect, Im trying to figure out why anyone would pick the 2.5 at all? Plano averaged 20deg cooler on the day you got the ef2.5 tuned and the high was ~10deg cooler (depending if you were tuned in high of the day etc) with substantially better humidity.

Its spooling up slower and giving absolutely nothing in return.

Last edited by KurtP; Dec 30, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Remember the dyno is indoors. Weather was about as similar as I can get two weeks apart. Not that it really matters for spool, which was the intent of this test. Absolutely nothing though? You should look more closely. Not huge, but the gains are there.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Remember the dyno is indoors. Weather was about as similar as I can get two weeks apart. Not that it really matters for spool, which was the intent of this test. Absolutely nothing though? You should look more closely. Not huge, but the gains are there.
Again, with respect, but where?

You lost several hundred RPM's of response, which is going to be exacerbated in lower gears. The tq gain you see at your peak tq is only because you pushed almost another lb of boost on the 2.5 When boost matches back up right after that, you are gaining nothing. At the very end of the pull you gain about 12-13whp for about 100rpm.

Looking at the boost plot up top between the 2 and 2.5, there was a slight fall off of boost on the ef2. Is that were the turbo starts running out of steam? or was that a fluke on the run where the car dropped boost or pulled timing? If it were my car id want to see ~2 more runs to see if that consistent and then see if its tuning related.

If that IS where the EF2 falls off but not the 2.5, then the 2.5 needs to be stretched out in the RPM range to get the advantage and see if it pays dividends out to 8k.

Dont get me wrong, your opinion of your car/power matters a whole lot more than mine, I just dont see where you gained anything. Seems like the wheels are mis-matched in the housing they chose.

Just my humble $.02.

edit: maybe the 2.5 is going to be like a FP red and come alive with a set of cams?

Last edited by KurtP; Dec 30, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

These weren't just single runs, they were the final result of the dyno tuning; the results are consistent and repeatable. Yes, the EF2 starts running out of steam which is why the boost starts falling off above 7k RPM.

Remember, all I'm doing here is posting the data, I'm not necessarily saying one is better than the other, people can decide that for themselves based on their goals.

I think you are correct regarding cams, they are my largest restriction at this point!
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:28 PM

gotcha.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 02:24 PM
Evolving Member

just ordered mine with Drew. Ef2.5 turbo, 65w fuel pump, 1000ID injectors. Woot!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

^Should be a very nice setup! Who's tuning it?

Quick Reply: MAP EF2.5 tuned by Cobb Tuning - Plano