Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

JL 12w7 or JL W6V2 ? for Evo-X

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
JL 12w7 or JL W6V2 ? for Evo-X

Need some help here guys, Im in the process of building a new system for the EVO-X
I have my Components all ready, got a deal from a buddy who just lost his job, and had to move back home . Sold me 2 sets of 6.5 Focal K2 Power brand new for $700 even.
Well I dont want to add to much weight plus need some trunk space. so Im going to stick with a single 12". Dynamating the whole trunk should only add about 20 lb.
Removing the spare and jack should offset some weight, This is where the Seal Fiberglass enclose will be, I still need some trunk space. Might lose 2 inch of floor due to the false floor that will go in so the JL Amps can be flush mounted. 2 amps should add about 20 more lb.. Spare is like 40lb. everything should offset nicely. Sub and enclose should nt be more then 50lb.

My question is what sub would you guys use? or any of you guys here had any experience with them. 12'W7 PhiMart.Com has them at $408 and W6 v2 is $284.
Do I have enough cubic space for an W7? or should i just stick with a W6v2 ?
Im ordering the subs online, so i dont want to pay for shipping twice, and deal with returns, just want to order the right one the 1st time around.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW.. that's a Awesome deal on some very bada$$ Components!!! I'm using a set myself right now and wouldn't trade them for anything.

As for the Sub, the 12W7 is a much better sub then the W6. I have a 12W6V2 and it's very good, but I would trade to a W7 in a heartbeat. The W7 is capable of playing much louder and more importantly the sound quality from the W7 is FAR better then the W6.

The answer to your question lies in the Amplifier (for the sub), or rather do you have one yet and what is it, and if you don't have one yet, how much do you want to spend. The 12W6v2 is a dual 4ohm voice coil sub and it likes about 500watts of good power to be happy. This makes the W6 fairly easy to find an amp for.

The 12W7 on the other hand is a Single 3ohm voice coil sub, and it likes about 1000watts of good power for it to be happy. This is a much harder sub to power because you need alot of power at 3ohms, not many amps are capable of this.

The JL500/1 is perfect for the 12W6, and the JL1000/1 is perfect 12W7. The JL amps have a Regulated power supply and specifically an Impedance matching system, so it's able to put out the rated power anywhere from 1.5-4 ohms, perfect for the odd Impedance W7's.

One thing to keep in mind when buying JL online. Any JL you buy from a store online is going to be B Stock. B Stock is basically gear that went to JL for Warranty repairs or replacement, then JL refurbished it and resold it as B Stock for a discounted price (usually to some online shop). JL also will not Honor the warranty for ANY JL products purchased online.

I hope this was helpful to you, and enjoy those Focals there is nothing else like them.

Last edited by HornetZ; Mar 14, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HornetZ
WOW.. that's a Awesome deal on some very bada$$ Components!!! I'm using a set myself right now and wouldn't trade them for anything.

As for the Sub, the 12W7 is a much better sub then the W6. I have a 12W6V2 and it's very good, but I would trade to a W7 in a heartbeat. The W7 is capable of playing much louder and more importantly the sound quality from the W7 is FAR better then the W6.

The answer to your question lies in the Amplifier (for the sub), or rather do you have one yet and what is it, and if you don't have one yet, how much do you want to spend. The 12W6v2 is a dual 4ohm voice coil sub and it likes about 500watts of good power to be happy. This makes the W6 fairly easy to find an amp for.

The 12W7 on the other hand is a Single 3ohm voice coil sub, and it likes about 1000watts of good power for it to be happy. This is a much harder sub to power because you need alot of power at 3ohms, not many amps are capable of this.

The JL500/1 is perfect for the 12W6, and the JL1000/1 is perfect 12W7. The JL amps have a Regulated power supply and specifically an Impedance matching system, so it's able to put out the rated power anywhere from 1.5-4 ohms, perfect for the odd Impedance W7's.

One thing to keep in mind when buying JL online. Any JL you buy from a store online is going to be B Stock. B Stock is basically gear that went to JL for Warranty repairs or replacement, then JL refurbished it and resold it as B Stock for a discounted price (usually to some online shop). JL also will not Honor the warranty for ANY JL products purchased online.

I hope this was helpful to you, and enjoy those Focals there is nothing else like them.

^^^Unless you buy it from Crutchfield at full price!! You get the warranty but you have to pay retail for it.

OP
I would also recommend a W6v2 because the W7s are power hungry monsters. And they require stoubt and generally heavy enclosures. You may want to jump ship and look into an IDMax sub or stick with a W6.
And you think your car is a hamhock now, wait till that extra weight goes in.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by NoTec
^^^Unless you buy it from Crutchfield at full price!! You get the warranty but you have to pay retail for it.
Good Catch , I was thinking more along the lines of buying from some random online discount hut.

Originally Posted by NoTec
OP
I would also recommend a W6v2 because the W7s are power hungry monsters. And they require stoubt and generally heavy enclosures. You may want to jump ship and look into an IDMax sub or stick with a W6.
And you think your car is a hamhock now, wait till that extra weight goes in.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a JL 12W6 running off a 500/1 in a sealed fiberglass enclosure in my IX. It was very tight, very musical and could play plenty loud. I personally feel like the W6 line is a little more accurate and less boomy than the W7 line. Both are great subs though so you can't go wrong. Like the other guys have mentioned, the amp will be key. Also, the total amount of amps you want your system to draw from the car. More power, more amps drawn, more likelihood of needing to invest in a new alternator.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks for the input guys I will be picking up the 12 JL W6V2 at our local JL dealer after work. I all ready have the JL AUDIO 450/4v2 on hand for the components.
So i will need to ordering a JL500/1 for the 12' W6V2.
As for Headunit. Im going to find something simple.With DVD, WMA, DIVX play back. But no need for NAV.
We have a Nav unit in the wife 2007 CRV, and we used it Once driving to Chicago over the summer.
It was worthless with all the road construction going on. Other then that I have never even touch it since.

As for the K2power, i have them installed a few days ago,just using factory wires, and stilling using the oem amp and head unit.I just basicly swap them with oem. they sound 10x better then stock for sure. My friend who works for the local custom car system shop here is building my sub enclose right now. he will be the main guy doing most of the install and custom work with me helping.On weekends and afternoon only. So this might take some time. For the price of a few case of Heineken and a trip to Benihana after everything is done, its well worth it.

Oh yea btw, After about our 5th Heineken no works gets done anymore. So this process will take along time.

Last edited by thuan; Mar 14, 2008 at 11:10 AM.