Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

LOJACK and Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down LOJACK and Dead Battery

I had a LOJACK installed in my silver EVO X and so far the battery has died twice. I recharged it and finally went to the dealer and they basically told me that the installer tapped into the wrong 12V wire and that's why its draining the battery. I questioned him as to how would it matter what 12V source you are tapping into its all 12V no? I understand if its a constant 12V or a switched 12V that would definitely make a difference. He said it was because it was tied to the tail lights. Now the tail lights do not stay on after I remove the key from the ignition so I didn't bother to challenge him anymore.
He sent me to the installer and they supposedly switched the wire to a different 12V source. The service guy said that this was a common occurence with Lancers anyone else have this problem? If it works fine but I think I'll be looking at a dead battery if I don't use the car for a couple of days. The next time around they'll be coming to me and not the other way around!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
Account Disabled

I hate dumb freakin' dealerships.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

The new evo's has computer controlled 12v wires. If the computer senses a draw it stays on instead of going to sleep, so when they installed the lojack they should have gone directly to the battery instead of using a computer controlled source.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:28 PM

So basically them switching to a different 12V wire is not going to do anything to stop the drain. Thanks for the reply
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by billyblonco
The new evo's has computer controlled 12v wires. If the computer senses a draw it stays on instead of going to sleep, so when they installed the lojack they should have gone directly to the battery instead of using a computer controlled source.
It happens to cars that come into the dealership i work in. Some people get it with the little parrot blue tooth phone things. when they tap into a 12v wire that is in anyway connected to a computer the small draw caused by the lo jack the computer will begin its sleep mode then wake up over and over because the computer sees the draw as a possible wake up sign ie opening a door or something else so the computer wakes up to be ready in preperation for the driver. then no driver so it goes back to sleep and starts it all over again