Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

DVD Hack for the MMCS

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ Isn't it just a fuse? I don't actually know, but I was under the impression that it was...
Old Jun 8, 2008, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yes its just a fuse. I did the write up on it here is the link.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=324560
Old Jun 8, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
does this mean the navigation unit they sell for the lancers and the evo's are different or just the software is different?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
does this mean the navigation unit they sell for the lancers and the evo's are different or just the software is different?
From what we can tell, the units are the same (might be subtle differences). Also, the outlander and one other model (at least) use the same MMCS with just slightly different software.

Someone with an evox posted their software, and I installed it in my 08 Lancer and it worked perfectly. Dvd hack coming very soon for it.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i just asked cuz i pm'd a few guys selling their lancer with navigation if they would be interested in swapping out their nav and i give them my rockford fosgate plus cash.

so its possible then for earlier evo x owners that have the nav to use this current dvd hack to work with their nav then?

if you guys come out with another dvd hack for the current evo x owners then that makes 2 dvd hack out in the market. if i pick up my nav i have to check software before i buy the hack then?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Brian360,

If you install the hack and it goes bad, do you just have to replace the two files?

I just want to be sure that I can go back if something goes horribly wrong
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:04 AM

so its possible then for earlier evo x owners that have the nav to use this current dvd hack to work with their nav then?

if you guys come out with another dvd hack for the current evo x owners then that makes 2 dvd hack out in the market. if i pick up my nav i have to check software before i buy the hack then?
Simply check the software version before applying the hack. Obviously, we didn't design the system, so I can't give you a 100% sure answer -- but I can tell you that from what I can tell, the navi's seem to all use the same software -- except the NR-261UM and NR-261EM versions. And even in that case, the only difference between those two seem to be the languages and HDD key.

So what i'm saying, is as soon as the evox hack is out, which uses version 00.30.94 and is the NR-261UM version, all 08 lancers, outlanders, and evos that are also NR-261UM (even if before 00.30.94) will accept the patch. Otaku has stated he's trying to make his patch application "universal" so that it'll work on all future versions of the MMCS software unless they make huge software changes to it.

Brian360,

If you install the hack and it goes bad, do you just have to replace the two files?

I just want to be sure that I can go back if something goes horribly wrong
I don't think it can go horribly wrong The absolute worst that could happen is you'd have to remove the hard drive and copy the 'original' files back to it. Personally, even if you somehow got a corrupted firmware, I bet you could just remove the battery cable for 2 minutes, put in a CDR with the 'original' files, and it'd probably just copy them off the CD. As for obtaining the originals, another member posted them, or your local dealer probably has a free update CD that will work.

But in any case, before Otaku makes his patches "public", I test them on my MMCS to make sure everything works as expected.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

I'm the one that posted the files, so I've got no problem pulling/working with the drive

I'm just a bit wary of the "universal" updater. I'm a software developer and one size fits all solutions rarely fit well if you know what I mean.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:08 AM

if i pick up my nav i have to check software before i buy the hack then?
The patches we provide are free. However, donations for Otaku's time are likely welcome if you insist on buying them!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
I'm the one that posted the files, so I've got no problem pulling/working with the drive

I'm just a bit wary of the "universal" updater. I'm a software developer and one size fits all solutions rarely fit well if you know what I mean.
Cool. Thanks again for posting those files.

I know what you mean. Extract the KWI file and extract the Windows CE image and you'll see that the operating system for the MMCS is a very simple stock image with a few custom apps. I don't really think its a stretch to abort the patch if things change too much.

And recall that Otaku is posting a universal "patcher"... neither him nor I are redistributing the patched/original "Loading.kwi" files for copyright reasons. So in order for a "new" version to get patched, someone has to pull their hard drive and run the patcher. Its then up to that person to repackage the files for the public to make an ISO image (which is custom to each version). And if that person pulls his hard drive and the patch fails on it, he obviously has the ability to restore his original files.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

This might not be possible but if you plan on hacking the MMCS in order to play dvds in motion, can you also get rid of the "OK" screen when you start the car and press NAVI. It's one of the most annoying things ever.

Thanks. If you need my help let me know.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 03:10 PM
Account Disabled

^Amen to that.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by brian360
Cool. Thanks again for posting those files.

I know what you mean. Extract the KWI file and extract the Windows CE image and you'll see that the operating system for the MMCS is a very simple stock image with a few custom apps. I don't really think its a stretch to abort the patch if things change too much.

And recall that Otaku is posting a universal "patcher"... neither him nor I are redistributing the patched/original "Loading.kwi" files for copyright reasons. So in order for a "new" version to get patched, someone has to pull their hard drive and run the patcher. Its then up to that person to repackage the files for the public to make an ISO image (which is custom to each version). And if that person pulls his hard drive and the patch fails on it, he obviously has the ability to restore his original files.
well if we dont have the EVO X files up yet, i'll upload them sometime next week when i get the car
Old Jun 9, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I uploaded them last week...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 05:22 AM

I'd like to vote for removing that stupid "read this crap" after pressing the navi button, I swear that screen is more of a hazard than anything else.

There's been many times I wasn't sure of where I was, then I press the navi button, see the screen and wonder "wth?!! I thought I pressed that already?" press ok, wait for the map to show, then look up and find that I'm at a stop sign, red light, or about to rear end someone, then slam on my brakes.

Last edited by psxnitro; Jun 10, 2008 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply: DVD Hack for the MMCS