Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Evo X NAVI questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Evo X NAVI questions

Hey all,

I can't find much info on the Rockford Fosgate Navi system that is offered as an option with the Evo X. The best I found was a PDF from Rockford's site (found here), but it didn't really answer my questions. I was hoping some knowledgeable people here could help me.

1. First off, for the GSR, if you get the Touchscreen/Navi, you automatically get the 650W Rockford Fosgate system, right?

2. How does the HDD system in the navi work? Can it read anything other than MP3s and maps off the harddrive (like video or images)?

3. How do you transfer data to the harddrive. So far I've read about the ability of the unit to rip CDs and store them on the HDD, but thats not really interesting for me. Is there any way to transfer data to the drive, fur example via USB, or simply taking the drive out and connecting it to a computer?

4. How does the RF system sound? Is there a real punch to the bass? Can you crank it without distortion?

I' really appreciate input on any of these questions.
Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 07:16 AM

1. 2 separate options. sss package gets you 650watt,nav package gets you nav

2. dvds cd's mp3's inputs for mp3 player

3. you have to burn a cd and rip it, unless your one of the genuises that has removed the hard drive and hacked it.

4. system is impressive for stock, not impressive for audiophiles though. Nice adjustments for the punch level and bass level, dual voice coil 10" woofer.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It also has Lap times, MPG graphs, Calendar with reminders, gives you a dial pad if you have the bluetooth option, and lets you tweak (windshield wiper speeds, doorlock behavior, FastKey, etc). when it reads from the harddrive it shows the track names, six at a time with the top one being the one playing. You can also add any standard rear view camera to it with a hours work, I love it (see how to on this forum).
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for info, it sounds nice.

To clarify, there are two separate options, but you can still get the Navi AND the 650w RF system, right?

I have years and years of experience building computers. As long as there is a harddrive I'm sure its possible to take it out and hook it up to a desktop. Question is, how difficult is it to extract it.

I'll look around and see what this hack is all about.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, with the Evo X GSR there is a SSS package (speakers, sub, and amp) and a seperate Nav package (Nav only). The hard drive for the MMCS or Nav system has been hacked.
See link: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ghlight=unlock
Old Jul 8, 2008, 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

One more thing, If your talking about the Evo X MR you can add the Nav head unit for $2400 but cant get the SSS package (speakers, sub, and amp) unless you get the Technology package that comes with the Nav.

Sum it up =

Evo X GSR you can get:
Nav only
SSS package (speakers, sub, and amp) only
Nav and SSS package (speakers, sub, and amp)

Evo X MR you can get:
Nav only
Nav with speakers, sub, and amp)

Hope this clears things up.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for that, its clear to me now.

Although somewhat daunting I should be able to hack the harddrive. My concern though is that all it really does (for now) is to allow lager harddrives to be installed. This is a minor priority issue for me if I still don't have a more efficient way of getting music onto the drive than having the MMCS rip CDs itself.

Is it not possible to feed it MP3 CDs, and then to have it import the MP3s on the disc into the archive on the harddrive? That would be a satisfying solution, although some sort of USB connection would be perfect.

Thanks again!
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

I would go with the SSS package. I've seen the regular headunit and it is nice but Navi is a big+. I've seen the regular navi and it seems to be ok but the sound is not as good as the rockford fosgate. The SSS package it's not just about the Navi and speakers and bass. You also get the OEM kit and HID's to boot. Add it all up and the SSS package retails for about 8k in parts alone. I think the package is only a 1/4 of that amount.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AkumaMax
I would go with the SSS package. I've seen the regular headunit and it is nice but Navi is a big+. I've seen the regular navi and it seems to be ok but the sound is not as good as the rockford fosgate. The SSS package it's not just about the Navi and speakers and bass. You also get the OEM kit and HID's to boot. Add it all up and the SSS package retails for about 8k in parts alone. I think the package is only a 1/4 of that amount.
Thanks. I agree, the SSS package is a good deal. But what is the OEM kit, and whats so great about the HIDs?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrackaBoi
Thanks. I agree, the SSS package is a good deal. But what is the OEM kit, and whats so great about the HIDs?
Have you ever driven a car w/ HIDs ? I used to roll in an 2003 Acura CL Type-S with factory HIDs and then I sold it and bought a 2007 Civic Si... It's literally night and day at night, I wish I had HIDs...
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spooled_u
Have you ever driven a car w/ HIDs ? I used to roll in an 2003 Acura CL Type-S with factory HIDs and then I sold it and bought a 2007 Civic Si... It's literally night and day at night, I wish I had HIDs...
Yes, you are right, HID lights vs non-HIDs are night and day, but I thought the Evo X came stock with some sort of HIDs.. Is that not right?
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrackaBoi
Yes, you are right, HID lights vs non-HIDs are night and day, but I thought the Evo X came stock with some sort of HIDs.. Is that not right?
If you get the SSS package you get HID's. The non SSS uses regualer ol Lancer headlights that use standard reflecters and halogen lights.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 04:31 AM
Evolving Member

The Nav can't rip MP3s to it from a CD or DVD, I know I tried. I have to burn all my songs to CD and then rip them to the hard drive in the nav. It rips automatically but still sux when you have hundreds or thousands of songs. The Nav only holds 6 gigs of music or about 1500 songs. Its still the best factory Nav I seen.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 04:33 AM
Evolving Member

Just to note: It does let you create playlists, change the track order of the ripped CD and even change the names of the songs (the source file of the song not just the playlist). Just thought this might be of interest.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strife
The Nav can't rip MP3s to it from a CD or DVD, I know I tried. I have to burn all my songs to CD and then rip them to the hard drive in the nav. It rips automatically but still sux when you have hundreds or thousands of songs. The Nav only holds 6 gigs of music or about 1500 songs. Its still the best factory Nav I seen.
Thats what I thought, thanks for the info. I´d say that makes the HDD/MP3 Archive more of a bonus to the CD player then, as its functionality is so limited.
I still want it though! Just wish it was a little better...

Btw, does the Evo come with AUX input as standard with the Navi? How about iPod connection?

Quick Reply: Evo X NAVI questions