Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Alpine or Pioneer DVD player?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're one of the people that uses the album scroll thing on the ipod aren't you?

Anyway, I'm surprised Alpine's doesn't display album artwork. Their dedicated iPod players display it. I know my iDA-X001 displays it perfectly. Regardless, I would go with Alpine. Especially since you can then get the blackbird and have a portible navigation system.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

i have an alpine

I really like the all the features, i have the blue tooth module and ipod connection....I really want the blackbird but its a little pricey

all in all the alpine is reliable and works nicley....

if anyone knows where i can get the blackbird really cheap let me know..!

heres a pic
Old Oct 20, 2008, 08:50 PM
Account Disabled

You can get the older blackbird 1 for about $150 on ebay. The 2 is like $4-500 though.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Alpine IVA-W505. its a beautiful unit. I had the Blackbird 2 put it looked like %!@# on the high res screen of the W505. I returned it an got the newer NVE-P1 (same as blackbird 2 but without the screen.) it does have the text to speech but it sounds like a drunk girl that was hit in the head with a brick! I like it for the most part but the bluetooth doesn’t work with my iphone yet.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

oh ya, the NVE-P1 add-on to the head unit was only $300, thats cheap for a new unit.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
You're one of the people that uses the album scroll thing on the ipod aren't you?

Anyway, I'm surprised Alpine's doesn't display album artwork. Their dedicated iPod players display it. I know my iDA-X001 displays it perfectly. Regardless, I would go with Alpine. Especially since you can then get the blackbird and have a portible navigation system.
Yes I am! I already have it so I might as well use it + it looks a lot cleaner...surprised the DVD player's don't have it. The iDA-X001 looks pretty neat
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvolvedVIII
You can get the older blackbird 1 for about $150 on ebay. The 2 is like $4-500 though.
Not sure if Microsoft is having their cashback promotion where if you use the "buy it now" feature on Ebay they will give you a 30% cashback in 60 days....if they do, I'm sure you can find a blackbird 2 for a good price.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

I used to be a hardcore Pioneer fanboy... But once I heard my first Alpine I was hooked. If your into great sound I would go for the Alpine. If your into bass I would go for Pioneer.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cchan3761
Yes I am! I already have it so I might as well use it + it looks a lot cleaner...surprised the DVD player's don't have it. The iDA-X001 looks pretty neat
My albums are so messed up that that would never work. The X001 is great, the newer ones are even nicer, one of em has HD radio and a button to push to auto dl songs from itunes when you hear em on the radio. It looks like they even have a double din that is in the ipod happy family... if you could handle going that route.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Pioneer
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1202649426440
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
My albums are so messed up that that would never work. The X001 is great, the newer ones are even nicer, one of em has HD radio and a button to push to auto dl songs from itunes when you hear em on the radio. It looks like they even have a double din that is in the ipod happy family... if you could handle going that route.
My albums were all messed up too but then after i got my iPhone I kept staring at my f***ed up artwork and was tired of it so I spent A LONG time to organize it. Now that its all organized, I think it'll be a lot more convenient. The new X001 doesn't play DVDs though
Old Oct 22, 2008, 03:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evovin
Yeah that looks nice but I don't see where it shows the Album Artwork
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cchan3761
My albums were all messed up too but then after i got my iPhone I kept staring at my f***ed up artwork and was tired of it so I spent A LONG time to organize it. Now that its all organized, I think it'll be a lot more convenient. The new X001 doesn't play DVDs though
All of them are lacking a cd/dvd player because they are fully usb compatible (and they can't play DVD video anyway). I have a backup 2gb flashstick in my car with music on it in case I forget my ipod or something (which won't happen now since I always have my iphone and my touch usually stays in the car). But album view only works with ipod units (obviously), still, the fact that I can hook up a 250 gb hard drive and have all my music to access just via usb is pretty cool.

Anyway, for DVD player you'd have to go with the W505, but that's double din. I'm surprised they have it but not a single din to double din screen player. And for navigation + W505 + custom install you'd be over 2000 almost for sure.

And as an aside: I wish apple would make a way to turn off the album artwork thing when I turn my idevices sideways. Hate the album scroll, and NEVER going to organize all my albums (since I have about a bunch of albums with only one song from each album) but I totally get what you mean by being bothered by the gross albums when it displays. All of mine that are important have album pictures now at least.

Actually, getting the X001 is what inspired me to start fixing the album artwork, since on all the views but the "clock alone" view it displays at least a thumbnail of the artwork.

Last edited by UT_Evo; Oct 22, 2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you do decide to go with a Double-Din the Alpine W505 DOES do album artwork on the screen. I noticed that you said that was something that you really wanted. Just thought I'd give you that tid bit of information

Adam
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:42 AM

Definately Alpine all day long!!! My first Alpine was a IVA-W205 (same as above pic) and the sound this thing produced blew away anything else out there. That was my last car and I sold it along with the car. The interior speakers were stock and I had 1 JL 12W1 with an Alpine V12 amp for the sub only and the freaking sound quality was unreal. I have pretty much used the same audio shop for all my past systems and this time around they were literally dumbfounded on the sound quality. I've spent tons of money on aftermarket speakers with huge power and to be honest, this Alpine with the STOCK Toyota speakers sounded probably just as good if not better.

I plan to get the IVA-W505 for my EVO. I hope the Fosgate interiors are good enough to handle this unit. I really don't want to have to swap them out.

Quick Reply: Alpine or Pioneer DVD player?