Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

30GB Hard-Disc Drive Navigation & Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30GB Hard-Disc Drive Navigation & Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System

I am in the market for an aftermarket NAV/DVD headunit for my GSR. I am looking for a review of the Technology Package. I can get a really good deal from my dealer. How is the accuracy and clarity of the voice guided navigation? Does the unit process information and reroutes quickly and seamlessly? Any downsides? Is the interface user friendly? Any feedback and pics of screens would be greatly appreciated.

CK
Old Nov 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely worth it!

The MMCS is one of the best OEM navigation systems I've seen/used. The navigation system is great, and the directions are pretty spot-on. It's easy to locate various points of interest like specific restaurants and gas stations and the UI is very user friendly and straightforward. Scrolling and zooming on the map is a breeze. The voice guided navi is easy to understand and very accurate. As you approach a turn, the navi zooms in to the intersection to show a close-up of the turn (which is great in NJ where there can be crazy on-ramps, etc.) The detour mode works great, and I've used it quite often when there is traffic or an accident ahead - it calculates routes very quickly. I don't use the navi very often, but when I do it takes me exactly where I need to go.

The feature I use the most is the music server since I have a ton of CDs. I've burnt over 50 CDs and the server is great to navigate through. My only gripe is that fact that there is no way to list the artist on the main music server page. It lists each CD separately by the name of the album. It's kind of annoying to search through by each CD - if you could organize all the music by artist, then select each artist's specific album, it would make navigating the selections much easier. Another gripe would be no option for an overall shuffle of all playlists (at least I haven't come across a way to do this, but I don't read the manual). There is only a shuffle option for each individual playlist/album. Other than that, I love the music server.

Overall, I would say the MMCS was definitely worth getting and I don't regret spending the extra $1600+ for it. I give it

Last edited by macPSU; Nov 15, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

So far I have been pretty happy with the factory nav, but if I could choose I would rather have the pioneer avic-z3. You still get an in dash hd that holds 10 gig worth of music and it has the gracenote music recognition software. With 3D nav and an ipod interface it seems to be a better option. How much is the dealer selling a stock one for?
Old Nov 16, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

I forgot to add - you can easily buy a very nice aftermarket unit with the same features as the factory one, and for much less money. I just like the OEM look better, and to get it as a dealer installed option was just easier for me.

If you get the OEM navi as an option when you buy your car, it shouldn't be more than invoice $1675. But if you buy it after the fact they will probably charge you more, plus you have to buy the installation kit for another $400 or something. That doesn't make it worth it IMO.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reviews. I really appreciate it. Their first offer was my stock HU for the OEM NAV (out of another vehicle, not brand new) for 1095 installed. I feel as though I can get them much lower. At this point its an idea I am kicking around.
Old Nov 16, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

I have been in or test driven many many new cars with factory navigation and the mitsubishis MMCS system is by far the best. One of the major factors when I bought my car. Worth every penny!
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:13 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else?
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had experience with some nav systems, and the MMCS is amazing. It does a lot of very cool things and it does them very well.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Couple of preguntas.

Originally Posted by kenpo1441
So far I have been pretty happy with the factory nav, but if I could choose I would rather have the pioneer avic-z3.
Do you have much experience (or any) with the AVIC-Z3? I've just started researching, and the reviews I read at Amazon were pretty dismal.

I've been looking into getting a navigation system to use with an HKS Camp2 and I'm leaning toward the OEM Navi based on the good things I've heard about it (especially considering all of the complaints I've read about the Pioneer units--both the FXXXBT and the ZX-series.)
Old Nov 29, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Manboy
Do you have much experience (or any) with the AVIC-Z3? I've just started researching, and the reviews I read at Amazon were pretty dismal.

I've been looking into getting a navigation system to use with an HKS Camp2 and I'm leaning toward the OEM Navi based on the good things I've heard about it (especially considering all of the complaints I've read about the Pioneer units--both the FXXXBT and the ZX-series.)
I am very happy with this NAV. It has quite a bit of other features built in also like changes you can make to the way some of the electronics of the car operates.

IMHO I think the Pioneers look cheap. That shiny black plastic just doesn't do it for me.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by junction
I am very happy with this NAV. It has quite a bit of other features built in also like changes you can make to the way some of the electronics of the car operates.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I come across a good deal on an OEM Navi unit within the next few weeks.

Originally Posted by junction
IMHO I think the Pioneers look cheap. That shiny black plastic just doesn't do it for me.
I've always felt this way about aftermarket decks in general. To me aftermarket head units always seem to be trying too hard (aesthetically speaking,) with the high gloss plastics, etc..., which usually makes them look out of place with the rest of the controls, in turn (to me at least) making them look cheap. And of course nothing's going to look as clean as the OEM deck. Too bad.

But anyway, my motivation for getting the Navi is to display output from an HKS CAMP2 which let's you display Boost, AFR, etc... meaning there's no need to have aftermarket gauges mounted everywhere. I'll take the shiny black plastic over the mess of gauges any day.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:38 AM
Evolving Member

I had OEM nav in my 2008 lancer GTS and got a alpine touchscreen nav in my newer 2008 X GSR, I WISH I GOT THE STOCK NAV IN IT......I miss the good OEM nav so much....
Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

100% worth getting. I put it in my car two weeks ago and have never looked back.
Old Dec 14, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

OEM Navi system is worth every penny. When ever i buy another vehicle if they offer a OEM navi system i will most likely get it. I think Mitsubishi did a great job, and i hear the Honda navi is also pretty damn good, you even get sattelite traffic with the honda unit.

I just recently discovered the CD rip feature and i love it, everytime i take a ride im putting a new CD in to HD.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:12 PM

does the navigation have video input? i saw something on top gear that made it seem like it does, but that might just be in uk. thanks!

Quick Reply: 30GB Hard-Disc Drive Navigation & Mitsubishi Multi-Communication System