Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

EVO X CarPuter

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kdiggz
great stuff Supreme. I'm building a carputer into my STi currently. my next car will most likely be an X. what are the dimensions of the scosche dash kit? i am trying to decide on a lcd screen and i would like to get one that fits the evo and i can make it work for the subaru in the meantime. have you seen that bybyte kit that works with the lilliputs? i'm wondering if i should go for that or maybe fork out the extra money for the wrx specific mechatroniks kit. all other parts are ordered and i have been painfully installing software and playing with settings
I used the lilliput screen i got on ebay for 175 and bought the bybyte modification kit for 30 or whatever

hes a few photos in my old thread

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...ter-works.html

running centrafuse now by the way, much better
Old Mar 25, 2009, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweetness. that's the route i was thinking of going (lilliput 701 + bybyte). i can't see the pics at work but sounds like a nice setup. does the lcd screen and din kit fit neatly in the scosche kit? or does it sit behind it?

i also have centrafuse version 2 running. im having trouble getting all of my pieces to work in it, namely the bluetooth and the webcam. it says "no bluetooth found" and it does not show the video from the webcam. both pieces work fine in windows itself (windows xp). my next step is to embed garmin or igo navigation software instead of the navigator that comes with it. i am also running the sound through a headunit, although mine is aftermarket pioneer going through the aux input
Old Mar 25, 2009, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

sweetness. that's the route i was thinking of going (lilliput 701 + bybyte). i can't see the pics at work but sounds like a nice setup. does the lcd screen and din kit fit neatly in the scosche kit? or does it sit behind it?

i also have centrafuse version 2 running. im having trouble getting all of my pieces to work in it, namely the bluetooth and the webcam. it says "no bluetooth found" and it does not show the video from the webcam. both pieces work fine in windows itself (windows xp). my next step is to embed garmin or igo navigation software instead of the navigator that comes with it. i am also running the sound through a headunit, although mine is aftermarket pioneer going through the aux input
yea mine is going through the stock aux, good for now since i wanna keep the amp and sub from the RF system.

The lcd screen sits behind the scosche dash kit but it looks great, everyone who gets in my car always asks how much extra it was to get the "navigation system" i then reply and tell them $300 + a free computer borrowed from work.

And whats cool is if i dont feel like listening to mp3s off my computer i still have the stock radio i can listen to.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:42 AM

yea, i liked the idea of having a headunit also. it's easy, you can use the stock amp and speakers, and you have another source for music in case the carputer is down for service. i like how you used the guts of your stock unit. i may copy that when i get the X. for now, i have an aftermarket pioneer unit since i have 3 available din slots in my STi.

have you tried bluetooth with your phone? i had a kenwood headunit previously and the bluetooth was terrible. i think it's because my car is so loud. interested in hearing what you went with for that and how well it works.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had one of these in my TSX. I first did it with a non touch screen and used a Space Navigator. I still have the Space Navigator under my desk on the floor as I type this. lol

Do yourself a favor and get a touch screen. You can get the Lilliput ones on eBay for a good price - that's what I did. Using the Space Navigator is akward and they kinda sucks. The hacked drivers work like crap half the time and I remember having to reboot my carputer a lot because the hacked drivers would "lose" the device sometimes and the only way to get them to recognize it again was to reboot.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

yea, i liked the idea of having a headunit also. it's easy, you can use the stock amp and speakers, and you have another source for music in case the carputer is down for service. i like how you used the guts of your stock unit. i may copy that when i get the X. for now, i have an aftermarket pioneer unit since i have 3 available din slots in my STi.

have you tried bluetooth with your phone? i had a kenwood headunit previously and the bluetooth was terrible. i think it's because my car is so loud. interested in hearing what you went with for that and how well it works.
since i have the stock radio in there i still have my stock bluetooth so yes i have bluetooth in my car and still works. when i get a call my radio automatically goes from AUX to bluetooth when call is over it goes back to AUX

Old Apr 11, 2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by SupremeX
I have my entire MP3 collection with me at all times and when EVOscan supports the X and OpenPort 2.0 I can use it to have all my gauges on the screen. I am installing a wideband next week to hook up to the computer.

how mutch for the setup for the guages and obd2 setup for and 03 evo8??????