Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Non ss navi sound vs. SSS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2009, 02:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Non ss navi sound vs. SSS

Hey all,

Just curious what people think of the navi SSS system vs the non SSS navi system, sound wise. I am somewhat happy with my system, but def want to do some upgrading. Is the SSS system worth snagging from a take off for a decent price, or should I just do aftermarket setup?

If SSS how hard to swap out with my non sss navi head unit? Will i get subcontrol once all is plugged in? I would get the amp, speakers and sub from the SSS. I would think its plug"n"play, but i dont currently have the "bass thump" control on my audio settings screen.

If Aftermarket, i plan to keep the stock navi and use an audiocontrol lc7 and 5 channel amp to power seperates in front, coax in doors, and a trunk sub. Problem is this will be at least double what I can grab an SSS take-off for if that system is worth it.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

From what I've seen and read, the various components of the sound package connect through the CAN bus, so when you hook them up to the head they will activate the additional menus and options as appropriate. The SSS system does sound pretty nice, and especially at half the price of an aftermarket option, seems to be a straight-forward choice.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:31 AM

hey im in seattle and im getting rid of my complete rockford sound system in 1-2 weeks, ill even swap the 6cd head unit if you would like, let me know if your interested.

Last edited by mitsu08; Feb 9, 2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

To me, the SSS system is not too great. I guess it's ok, for a stock system, but the stock system in my BMW sounds a LOT better and has better bass too.

I'd think most aftermarket systems would be way better than the SSS. But if you can get the SSS package at a great price, it's going to be better than the standard system.

But for around 500 bucks you could get a decent aftermarket deck, speakers, amp, and subwoofer.

Last edited by c_reber; Feb 9, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The sound in my M3 with Harmon Kardon sucked compared to the sound in my SSS EVO. The SSS system is a great compromise between a custom system and a stock system.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rogue
The sound in my M3 with Harmon Kardon sucked compared to the sound in my SSS EVO. The SSS system is a great compromise between a custom system and a stock system.

Hmmm, that's wierd. I have an E39 M5 with I think it was the HK system (it has the "M-audio" package with 2 thin 10" woofers under the rear deck), and it sounds MUCH better than the SSS system in my evo. Bass is deeper and treble seems more crisp too.

I mostly listen to sirius in the evo, which does have poor sound quality. But then again, I mostly listen to my ipod through a cassette aptr in the M5.

I guess everyone has thier own opinion. That's why I'm putting aftermarket stuff in soon.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

i got the lancer gts 09 before i got the evo x and both of them has the SS package. i noticed a deeper bass on the gts probably because of a bigger trunk that it has than the evo. i guess that plastic shield that covers the battery and washers hinders the deep bass to be heard inside the car.

bottom line is the RF SS package can keep up to other aftermarket head units.

BTW, don't compare BMW to evo's coz i think bimmers has a good sound insulation which makes the sound rich.... peace out!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

good info all... I have been seeing full SSS (no head unit) systems for sale in the 350-500 so thats why i was heading that direction.. I guess i would wanna compare first =P

If i went with aftermarket, the lc7 alone is about 150, figure 300 for a 5 chan amp, front seps, 200, rear coax, 125, then sub and box another 300 ish.. 1075 before anything else i would do during the process like dynamat etc.. bah this car is a money pit haha
Old Feb 9, 2009, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rageagtm
good info all... I have been seeing full SSS (no head unit) systems for sale in the 350-500 so thats why i was heading that direction.. I guess i would wanna compare first =P

If i went with aftermarket, the lc7 alone is about 150, figure 300 for a 5 chan amp, front seps, 200, rear coax, 125, then sub and box another 300 ish.. 1075 before anything else i would do during the process like dynamat etc.. bah this car is a money pit haha
yup, thats a lot of money.... just put it on the engine power though
Old Feb 10, 2009, 12:38 AM
Evolving Member

exactly what i was thinking.. opinions on stock sub? is it easily distorted?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

the sss system in the evo x , sounds good, it's crisp however if you like to listen to music loud, it really doesn't get that loud IMO. just for the sake of being able to blast your music and cruise and have a clean sound, do aftermarket, as long as you can afford it, but i think you'll be happy with either choice =)
Old Feb 10, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rageagtm

$350 for the full SSS system seems like a good deal (maybe I'll try and sell mine once I replace it, didn't know it was worth anything).

As for the aftermarket, I don't know what an lc7 is, but you can get a decent (single DIN) Pioneer/Alpine/Kenwood deck with ipod control for around 150. You can run 4 speakers and the sub with a 4 channel amp (or a 5ch, like you suggested, I've just had bad luck with most 5ch that I've used in the past). For the components I'd take a look at the CDT CL-S60A/TW-25 combo for $100 bucks. Sub and box can get a little expensive I guess.

I was maybe a hundred bucks off on my $500 estimate, but you can still get some great aftmkt components which I think would be WAY better than the stock ones. I guess I've always believed that aftermarket is always going to sound better. I suppose that's what being an installer for a couple of years does to you.

But good luck on whatever you choose
Old Feb 10, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

yeah, aftermarket will always sound better for sure =P Just el cheapo at the moment!

The LC7 is by audiocontrol and it allows you to use your factory nav with an aftermarket amp. Also has sub input lvl control (via a wired remote you can mount in glovebox or something) and also an aux in for your ipod, sat etc.. cool stuff http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/1761...ut----LC7.html
Old Feb 11, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

I guess if I had the bare stock bottom of the line unit.... id go aftermarket totally.

Get a single din fold out display screen unit with nav, a nice amp and speakers with a good sub and box in the trunk. Then the extra din space I would get a 3 gauge cluster.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
I guess if I had the bare stock bottom of the line unit.... id go aftermarket totally.

Get a single din fold out display screen unit with nav, a nice amp and speakers with a good sub and box in the trunk. Then the extra din space I would get a 3 gauge cluster.
+1 me too need to put the gauges. can't find any spot other than the half of the head unit just as the evo 8/9 has.

Quick Reply: Non ss navi sound vs. SSS