Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Back Up Camera

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This question is for the original poster. Are you running this camera with the MMCS? I've heard that cheaper cameras hooked up to the MMCS, the video will be very choppy.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Under PSI
I have the OEM one on my car.
Can you scan and post the installation instructions? I'm interested to see what exactly is involved. Also, is there are way to install the camera in a non-OEM location? I'm thinking of lowering it and tilting it back to compensate for the OEM angle. Thoughts?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sohcpunk
This question is for the original poster. Are you running this camera with the MMCS? I've heard that cheaper cameras hooked up to the MMCS, the video will be very choppy.
No, I have a Pioneer AVIC-D3 that I will be installing soon. Not hooked up to any factory nav.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Hrm, I wonder what is the cheapest camera we can get to work with the MMCS? Anyone care to chime in? The original instructions for this uses a camera that is well over $100. I've seen a handful of cameras on eBay for under $50.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Under PSI
I have the OEM one on my car. For anyone interested, it is made by clarion.
Did the kit come with a 'power box' or did it just include the camera, cord straight to the MMCS, and camera cover? I looked at Clarion's site and the camera appears to require a 'power box'.

From reading the Mitsubishiparts.net site, it seems that you get just a camera, cord, and cover. If that is the case, is that S-video already wired for the power, ground, and reverse input?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sohcpunk
Hrm, I wonder what is the cheapest camera we can get to work with the MMCS? Anyone care to chime in? The original instructions for this uses a camera that is well over $100. I've seen a handful of cameras on eBay for under $50.
people here have used those $30 camera's with night vision on ebay
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by markpaco
Can you scan and post the installation instructions? I'm interested to see what exactly is involved. Also, is there are way to install the camera in a non-OEM location? I'm thinking of lowering it and tilting it back to compensate for the OEM angle. Thoughts?

I don't have them any longer but basically there is a template for drilling the hole in the trunk and the rest is just running the wires through the car and to the back of the NAV unit. The wiring follows the wires for the third brake light across the trunk, then it goes under the back seat and along the driver's side door sill, under the dash and to the NAV unit where it plugs in. You could probably install the camera anywhere on the back of the car if you wanted to. When mounted in the OEM location (mine is) it allows you to see the bumper at the bottom of the screen so you don't back into anything. If it was mounted below the bumper, you obviously wouldn't be able to see it as the camera is angled downward.

Last edited by Under PSI; Mar 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by markpaco
Did the kit come with a 'power box' or did it just include the camera, cord straight to the MMCS, and camera cover? I looked at Clarion's site and the camera appears to require a 'power box'.

From reading the Mitsubishiparts.net site, it seems that you get just a camera, cord, and cover. If that is the case, is that S-video already wired for the power, ground, and reverse input?
It is simply the camera, cord and cover. I don't know about the specific wiring, it is simply "plug and play" in the back of the NAV unit. Mine is the factory NAV unit and sound system and this simply plugs right in and works. It automatically engages whenever the car is put into reverse. It works in daylight and at night as well.

Last edited by Under PSI; Mar 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:37 PM

looks clean
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks, I finished most of the install yesterday, so I'll post more pics in a separate thread when I get some free time. It works great!
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

wich camera you get?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

I just installed the OEM camera and was wondering if there are supposed to be parking lines or not. The camera setup screen has some buttons to modify the image but nothing happens.

I mounted the OEM camera just above the license plate using the factory camera cover. It looks pretty clean and I will post pics asap.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nelsondevicenci
wich camera you get?
I got the $30 cheapie from ebay, like someone else suggested.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

looks good day/nigth?
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:37 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a pic of the OEM camera installed above the license plate. I will document the install in the DIY section when I have time.

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera