Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Back Up Camera

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^ sickk!
Old May 1, 2009, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by markpaco
Here is a pic of the OEM camera installed above the license plate. I will document the install in the DIY section when I have time.

thx for posting a picture! looks guuud! btw, this is the FIRST time i see any picture of the OEM camera!!
but here my question: since you mounted it lower than the original mounting location [= the all so odd "right-in-the-middle-of-my-boot" location], are there any issues with the viewing angle? or did you have to modify the camera position by tilting it possibly 'upward' to compensate for the height difference? did you need to do some other fabrication to accommodate the camera assembly?

thanx for your input.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is a pic of the OEM camera installed above the license plate. I will document the install in the DIY section when I have time.
when you make that writeup can you also attach a picture of what it looks like on your nav unit once you put it on reverse? thanks
Old May 2, 2009, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

How To posted here

I'm going to post as much as I can now because I don't really have time to be making a tutorial. The cummulation of information in this thread should be more than enough to aid you in installing the OEM camera like mine.

Did you need to do some other fabrication to accommodate the camera assembly?

Yes. This is going to be a bit difficult to explain without pictures but here goes:

The camera assembly consists of 2 pieces; the camera itself and a camera bracket. The camera bracket is that diamond shaped plastic piece that has the fastener holes in it. The camera is cube shaped with a wiring harness coming out of it. The camera is mounted to the camera bracket with 2 small fasteners on the back.

If you look at the picture I posted, you will notice that the camera is actually mounted upside down compared to the OEM orientation. What I did was that I removed the camera from the bracket and flipped it over. There is a locating tab on the camera that I cut off in order to do this. So when you flip the camera over, you can mount the camera in the orientation shown in the pic and have the image appear right-side-up.

I purchased a pair of corner braces from Lowes Home Improvement. This is what they look like.

I forget what size they were but the holes on them were 1/4" (6.35mm) which is equivalent to the 6mm that the camera cover utilizes. I will post the size later. I then bent them to an obtuse angle of approximately 135 degrees. After assembling the camera, bracket, and cover I had this:

When you remove the license plate, you will see a bolt that is used to attach the bumper cover to the car. I used two tinnerman nuts to mount the camera assembly to the car (similar to the license plate mounting). The nuts look like the ones pictured below. The nut size was M6x1.00.

I cut a slot in the recess in the bumper cover and slid the tinnerman nut into place as shown below:

This is what it looked like after mounting the camera but prior to installing the license plate:

Are there any issues with the viewing angle?
No, there are no issues with the viewing angle. The camera has a wide angle lens that is more than adequate to view what is behind you.

Here is a pic of what the rear view camera can see. I put two boots out for reference in the 2nd pic.

If you look in the pic below, you can see how much the wide angle lens covers. You can see above the 8' tall retaining wall and well over the 2 story homes on the upper slope.

Here is a pic of the view out the back of the car. You can kinda see the retaining wall and homes in the background better.

In this pic, I took a pic of the boots relative to the car from the outside. This gives you a better idea of the coverage of the camera in the location I put it.

Did you have to modify the camera position by tilting it possibly 'upward' to compensate for the height difference?

Yes, the camera angle is slightly lower than the OEM orientation. Below is a side view of the camera. I could have angled it a little bit higher but, as you can see in the previous pics, it has more than adequate coverage in the location it is in now.

Did you tally up your total cost for this install?
I purchased the parts from RussellM from mitsubishiparts.net
Camera, MZ380462EX, $302.20
Harness, MZ607384EX $65.98 (This is nice even for aftermarket cameras to have because it is insulated and is plug and play to the MMCS)
Cover (A39 graphite gray), MZ607432EX, $22.80
This comes out to ~$400 shipped. I got it for $360 shipped because it was discounted. The corner braces cost about $2 from Lowes and the M6x1.00 fasteners and tinnerman clips were spare parts but you can get them from Lowes too.

Any suggestions for the best location to 'punch' into the trunk space for the wire harness/connector routing?

I ran the harness through a rubber grommet for the license plate lighting harness on the left side of the car. It is just below the rear outer left taillight.

As far as routing the harness; it ran from the MMCS, above and across the pedal assembly, down along the LH kick panel, along the front LH side sill, B pillar, rear LH side sill, under the LH side of the rear seat, into the LH trunk area, out to the lower bumper area. It involved the removal of the following items:

1. Dash trim, MMCS, LH lower dash trim.
2. LH kick panel
3. Front LH side sill
4. LH B pillar trim
5. Rear LH side sill
6. Rear upper and lower seat
7. Trunk lining: plastic cover for battery/washer bottle, LH trunk lining, rear bulkhead trim for striker area, and subwoofer (if installed)
8. Rear bumper cover

One downside of the camera location is that there is no reference point like OEM position does. The OEM position has the edge of the bumper cover as reference. However, I don't plan on backing up to walls within 1" or anything like that so I don't need the bumper cover reference point. I bought to make sure I don't run anyone/anything over.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I'm sorry for the dark pics. I've got kids and can only work on my car at night (when they are sleeping).

One thought though: I kinda would prefer that the camera cover be painted flat black to match the lower diffuser. It would be less conspicuous that way. I actually had the camera mounted without the cover before and you could barely notice it.

Last edited by markpaco; May 2, 2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

wow that is really wide angle
Old May 2, 2009, 07:32 AM

män, thanx for this excellent write-Up!!! did you tally up your total cost for this install? and, any suggestions for the best location to 'punch' into the trunk space for the wire harness/connector routing?

m.

Last edited by bikaa-m.; May 2, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bikaa-m.
män, thanx for this excellent write-Up!!! did you tally up your total cost for this install? and, any suggestions for the best location to 'punch' into the trunk space for the wire harness/connector routing?
See the updated post above.
Old May 2, 2009, 10:55 AM

Herr MarkPaco: kudos & thx for your lightning quick addendum to your writeUp!

***guess, we gonna see plenty'o backUp-camera-equipped evos + lancers cruizing the local mega parking lots nearby soon
Old May 2, 2009, 12:05 PM
Account Disabled

I have that !!! is is every nice to have when backing up in tight areas
Old May 2, 2009, 04:40 PM

One downside of the camera location is that there is no reference point like OEM position does. The OEM position has the edge of the bumper cover as reference.
Very nicely done! That is the only drawback I can see to your installation but it looks much cleaner that the OEM location.
Old May 2, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

How To posted here
Old May 2, 2009, 06:47 PM

Awesome, great write up!
Old May 14, 2009, 04:35 PM

Does anyone know if a generic camera can be installed into the MMCS without the official connector?

I thought I read some where that people have installed without it.
Old May 14, 2009, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

i wonder what the total cost was for this using all oem stuff, is it worth it to go oem or aftermarket?
Old May 14, 2009, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its a question i asked myself. to me if you are not going with the stock location then there is no point in getting the oem camera, you might as well get the cheap ebay ones.

Quick Reply: Back Up Camera