Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2009, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is hella good info man, thanks for posting. If I pull the trigger on one of these I will probably let a professional installer put it in, but I will definitely post up the results.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

I have mine at 20-25 max.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by THEMEMPHISFORCE
If and when you do get the cleansweep and if you plan on installing it yourself make sure you read all the paperwork that comes with it for setting it up and tuning your eq. It can be a royal ***** to get it right, but once it is right, it is RIGHT on the money. The first one of these my old shop I worked at put one of these in, it took us 8 hrs to set it, cuz we thought it would be straight forward. Not the case. I used to be a car audio installer just if you are wondering.
Are you serious? The install of a cleansweep is a no-brainer as long as you have the connections right. You just set everything flat on your head unit, turn the vol up to 75% playing the calibration track that comes on the CD with the cleansweep, then press the calibration button on the cleansweep, and that's it. Done. I've done several stereos with a cleansweep, and have never had to spend more than a few minutes calibrating it. Just finished putting one in a huge stereo in a Prius about a month ago. Damn car has one of the loudest stereos I've ever built. I had to recalibrate it several times, but that's only because I had to use the CL-SSI for summing the front tweeter and mid channels. So after making significant changes to the CL-SSI, I'd have to recalibrate the cleansweep.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

At 45 with the windows down, driving 35mph, I can barely enjoy the music because it's simply not loud enough for conditions. I want the car next to me, to hear what I hear now, with THEIR windows up
Old Mar 25, 2009, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^Now that I know how to do it, I agree, yeah it only takes a few minutes, but for the first timer, not so easy. Unless you follow the directions and half way know what you are doing.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:00 PM

Well my plan to have a professional install a Cleansweep may not go as easily as expected. Here was a conversation from an hour ago at a place that does nothing but sell/install car stereos:

Salesman: Hi, can I help you?
TRACE: Sure, I am looking to install a Factory Sound Processor in my car.
Salesman: Well, we don't really install factory stereos, only aftermarket stuff.
TRACE: *Bites lip* Understood, I am looking to install a unit that is in the line between the head unit and the amplifier which gets rid of any unwanted equalization done by the factory head unit and outputs a clean signal to the amplifier.
Salesman: Nah, man, we don't have anything like that. Sorry.
TRACE: *Jumps off bridge*

Would I be better off getting an aftermarket head unit and possibly a new amplifier, or did I just go to the wrong place?
Old Mar 25, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TRACE on
Well my plan to have a professional install a Cleansweep may not go as easily as expected. Here was a conversation from an hour ago at a place that does nothing but sell/install car stereos:

Salesman: Well, we don't really install factory stereos, only aftermarket stuff.
TRACE: *Bites lip* Understood, I am looking to install a unit that is in the line between the head unit and the amplifier which gets rid of any unwanted equalization done by the factory head unit and outputs a clean signal to the amplifier.

Would I be better off getting an aftermarket head unit and possibly a new amplifier, or did I just go to the wrong place?
You went to the wrong place, anyone who is a JL dealer will install one of these for you. Or an Alpine dealer, they make a DSP too. Those are the only ones that I am familiar with.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TRACE on

LOL, definitely the wrong place. Years ago, I found the shop I wanted to deal with by the fact that the only stuff they stocked was Orion HCCA, MB Quart, and JL. The shop was as big as a closet, but the owner's enthusiasm was contagious and he gave me awesome advice everytime I had a question.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, not many companies make something like the cleansweep. Definitely find a JL audio dealer and have them give you a quote. The reason a good number of places don't deal JL products because of the stringent requirements of being an authorized JL Audio retailer.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:20 PM

I found a JL dealer that is close to my work so I am going to head by there tomorrow. Hopefully I can get a quote and possibly something installed!

Oh, and my stock stereo has a new enemy...a turboback Perrin exhaust. It really has its work cut out for it now.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

From what I'm seeing on the cleansweep, there's no speaker level outputs, only rca outs. This still won't work with the stock RF amp.
Here's a close up pic of input/outputs:
Old Mar 25, 2009, 05:53 PM

Well I recomend the Re-Q http://www.reqsound.com/ . It's a very inexpensive unit and works great. You don't loose anything with the factory controls. It's really easy to install, inexpensive and they have to models. One of them comes with and aux in. Don't have an evo x so don't know if it's already in the factory headunit but the re-q 5 come with an aux in. They range between $150 to $200. U can order it through crutchfield also or chk out website. I have it in my dually and love it.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Okay, so if I get this Re-Q or JL audio thing it will fix me audio limiting? I am just looking to get the sound I paid $$$ money to get, but I am not some crazy audiophile... I just want it to be as loud as it is when I plug in my IPOD.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolving Member

I'm wondering how much variation in sound systems there is from car to car...I too, like a few others have posted, only have my radio between 15-20 and, with windows open, play music of the music server or CDs at 25 or so... I also have the speed sensitive volume ON.

Now the thing that absolutely kills me is how quite the handsfree system is. LOL. I have to turn that up to 25-30 to hear properly.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by verkion
I'm wondering how much variation in sound systems there is from car to car...I too, like a few others have posted, only have my radio between 15-20 and, with windows open, play music of the music server or CDs at 25 or so... I also have the speed sensitive volume ON.

Now the thing that absolutely kills me is how quite the handsfree system is. LOL. I have to turn that up to 25-30 to hear properly.
Just traded my 09 Lancer GTS w/Navi, and it is identical to my Evo w/Navi.

Quick Reply: SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting