Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I finally got a chance to go to a JL Audio dealer today. Both the salesman and the guy that does the installs was sure the head unit was causing all the problems. Since I don't have Navigation or anything fancy, I am going to replace my head unit. It was about the same price as the Cleansweep and I can take or leave the factory head unit. The place doing the install seems very professional unlike the last place I went. The parts will be going in on Wednesday or Thursday of next week so I will let everyone know how it goes.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Get ready to lose the factory amp once you put an aftermarket head unit in. Or be ready to put another amp in place of it. The cleansweep is the easy way to go.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

How about this? It accepts amplified speaker level inputs and converts them to speaker level outputs a factory amp can use. Brand: Scosche Model: SLC-4
Edit: The spklvl outs are in the center, it has rca outs also.

Last edited by boostin20; Mar 27, 2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

After looking at the input wires of the RF amp, I'm not sure about the SLC-4. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the radio circuit?
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

I have the complete wiring diagram for the radio, but it won't let me upload word docs for some reason. Just let me know what you need to know and I can help you out.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

I pretty much would like to know what all of the input wires on the amp are. Pm'ed you with my email.

Edit: Can the CL-SSI be used independently of the CL441? If so, the SSI looks like it might work out.

Last edited by boostin20; Mar 27, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostin20
How about this? It accepts amplified speaker level inputs and converts them to speaker level outputs a factory amp can use. Brand: Scosche Model: SLC-4
Edit: The spklvl outs are in the center, it has rca outs also.

This isn't anything even close to what the cleansweep does. Well, ok, the cleansweep accepts high or low level inputs. That is the only similarity. Otherwise, the cleansweep actually fixes the levels and flattens the signal from the stock equipment so that you don't get any of that auto EQ crap that factory stereos do to keep people from blowing speakers. It also makes sure you are getting a full-range signal.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

I pretty much would like to know what all of the input wires on the amp are. Pm'ed you with my email.

Edit: Can the CL-SSI be used independently of the CL441? If so, the SSI looks like it might work out.
You don't need the CL-SSI for this car unless you are putting the cleansweep AFTER the stock rockford amp.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman
You don't need the CL-SSI for this car unless you are putting the cleansweep AFTER the stock rockford amp.
What makes you say that? I'm not really understanding the logic behind that statement.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

What makes you say that? I'm not really understanding the logic behind that statement.
Then I don't think you are understanding what the CL-SSI does. It takes 3 separate ranges of a signal, and sums it together into one 4 channel output. So, if you have a factory amp that puts out 9 channels (lf-mid,lf-tweet,rf-mid,rf-tweet, sub, etc...) then it will take the tweeter, sub and mid signal and make it one full-range signal that it will then provide to the cleansweep.

The reason for this is because, for example, in the Prius, the bluetooth audio items run through the stock JBL amp, therefore to keep the stock setup, and have all the functionality, there was no choice but to keep the stock amp, get a CL-SSI to sum the front channels, then a cleansweep for the equalization, then on to the amps.

I am pretty sure, though don't quote me on it, that the bluetooth audio items on the Lancers (Evo included) run through the stock deck, and not through the stock rockford amp. So you don't need the CL-SSI, just the CleanSweep.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I thought you were referring to something else, that's the same stuff I was reading on JL's site. From what I gather, none of JL's products fix the original "too quiet" problem if the OP wants to keep the stock hu and amp though.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

From what I gather, none of JL's products fix the original "too quiet" problem if the OP wants to keep the stock hu and amp though.
That's not entirely true. What the deck is going is quieting all the frequencies so that it's impossible for any one frequency to get near clipping. Clipping creates distortion, and that's what blows speakers. While distortion can be created in a whole ton of other ways, the stock deck does a great job of avoiding blown speakers by softening frequencies.

What the cleansweep does is take that signal and flatten it, ACTIVELY. This means, as you turn up the volume, the deck actively limits certain frequencies, and the cleansweep is actively going to counteract those level changes, and keep the output signal volume FLAT. It's why the calibration process is SO essential. This way, the signal going to the amp, is not softened, but completely flat.

I really don't know if it would work on its own w/o making any other changes to the car or additional equipment, but if it does work that way, I will buy a cleansweep yesterday
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
That's not entirely true. What the deck is going is quieting all the frequencies so that it's impossible for any one frequency to get near clipping. Clipping creates distortion, and that's what blows speakers. While distortion can be created in a whole ton of other ways, the stock deck does a great job of avoiding blown speakers by softening frequencies.

What the cleansweep does is take that signal and flatten it, ACTIVELY. This means, as you turn up the volume, the deck actively limits certain frequencies, and the cleansweep is actively going to counteract those level changes, and keep the output signal volume FLAT. It's why the calibration process is SO essential. This way, the signal going to the amp, is not softened, but completely flat.

I really don't know if it would work on its own w/o making any other changes to the car or additional equipment, but if it does work that way, I will buy a cleansweep yesterday
I would agree with your above statement except for the distortion part. That is not what blows speakers, power(watts) is what blows speakers, now generally speaking when you are at the distortion point you would think that would blow your speakers but it is actually the clipping excess amount of power, which causes the distortion. The distortion by itself will not blow your speakers. The above information that I just gave you is from a JL Audio cleansweep training tech from JL training which I attended two years ago. Whether he is right or wrong, that is just what I have been told. I still would say the cleansweep is the way to go.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
cant wait til someone figures this out. i never had a problem w/ the volume but today was the first day we came close to 60 degrees out so i had the windows down today. its very low w/ the windows down and the volume on max. its insane that from volume 30 on up there isn't even a change in the volume - normally its exponential....

someone figure this out and post back! insane that i paid extra for the sound package and its so limited...
Old Mar 27, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

So I need to buy the JL Audio clean sweep to fix the noise limiting problem. That is what I understand. Now I just need to find a reputable JL Audio dealer.

Quick Reply: SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting