Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting

I am getting fed up with the SSS Rockford Fosgate stereo system on my new Evo X. There are serious limitations on volume, with almost no difference between "30" and "45", with "45" being max volume. As has been mentioned before, this is not a problem of a weak amplifier, but instead of a built-in limit to how loud the stereo will get before the system pulls back the volume to keep within an arbitrary limit defined by the manufacturer. Before it gets brought up, this issue is unrelated to the speed-sensitive volume ability of the SSS stereo. Enabling or disabling that option makes no difference with the larger problem of volume-limiting. Here are some previous threads discussing the same issue:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...too-quiet.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sound-sss.html

Now that the problem has been defined, what is the easiest and cheapest solution? I have little knowledge of car stereo equipment and am not looking to upgrade my entire system for a huge amount of money. I simply want my stereo to sound as good or better than the stock stereo in my previous car, a 2005 Neon.

The threads linked above seemed to point to the stock amplifier as the culprit. Would replacing this with an aftermarket unit eliminate the issue? I plan to keep the speakers stock and run them as nature intended. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 21, 2009, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

+1 for a good answer on that. The only way I've gotten around it is by using my IPOD and turning up the volume on that. It sounds way better. I am not interested in replacing speakers either unless that is the actual problem.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same issue!!! It drives me crazy it sounds like someone is turning it up and down and it doesn't put out any power. I understand my old car had bose but this is sooooo bad!
Old Mar 22, 2009, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

i find it sucks more when listening to XM but maybe thats just me...
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:49 AM
Evolved Member

crap. looks like i need to buy an ipod afterall
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

I upgraded my amp to an aftermaket 5-channel and the difference is amazing...especially the subwoofer.

If you can't afford aftermarket and think the stock HU is limiting the volume, there's probably a way to install a signal booster between the stock HU and amp.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:09 AM

Personally, I don't mind spending $300 or so to replace the amplifier. The solution I saw in one of the previous threads was to replace the whole system which cost like $3,000. That's money I need for coilovers damnit!

cyniclaus: Did the aftermarket amp eliminate the fluctuation issue? I will gladly plunk down the money for an amp if so.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:29 AM

But I thought the stock amp has the crossovers for the front speakers. How did you get around that problem with a 3rd party amp?

- John
Old Mar 23, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asterix2112
But I thought the stock amp has the crossovers for the front speakers. How did you get around that problem with a 3rd party amp?

- John
+1, I thought the problem with not using the stock amp is you lose some of the speakers. Or else it'd be the default upgrade wouldnt it?
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

I hate this about the RF stereo. Now, the real question is, what is doing the volume limiting? The amp, or the deck? If it's the amp, then it's simply replacing the amp, however it needs to be a 5 channel amp. I'm also not sure how much communication there is between the navi and the amp itself.

The best setup would be to remove the stock amp and replace it with a JL Audio Cleansweep, or something similar, and a new 5 channel amp.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
I hate this about the RF stereo. Now, the real question is, what is doing the volume limiting? The amp, or the deck? If it's the amp, then it's simply replacing the amp, however it needs to be a 5 channel amp. I'm also not sure how much communication there is between the navi and the amp itself.

The best setup would be to remove the stock amp and replace it with a JL Audio Cleansweep, or something similar, and a new 5 channel amp.
This would be the best way to correct the volume is with an audio DSP like the cleansweep. I would expect that the cleansweep alone would solve most of your problems and adding an aftermarket amp would just make the speakers louder overall. The BEST way would be to replace the whole system with something of far better quality.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Am I the only one who thinks "30" is way too loud on the stereo? I listen to my radio around 10-15, and I don't think its too quiet at all...
Old Mar 24, 2009, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wongck
Am I the only one who thinks "30" is way too loud on the stereo? I listen to my radio around 10-15, and I don't think its too quiet at all...
I have to agree. I usually listen to mine at 18 to 20 max. That is plenty loud enough, but I usually drive with the windows up, so that could be the difference.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:16 PM

This is the first time I've heard of the Cleansweep, and it sounds like it might be just what the doctor ordered.

When reading up a little bit about them online, the head unit seems to cause most if not all of the frequency and equalization problems in factory stereos. I got my info from the following links:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MmPg1yp...rocessors.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qVFMOuS...leansweep.html

At $300, it is about what I hoped to spend to fix the fluctuation problem. After consulting Crutchfield and THEMEMPHISFORCE's advice, an aftermarket amp does not sound like a necessity. Instead, it would further improve the quality of the sound, just as adding aftermarket speakers would.

Since my motivation is to solve the in-and-out fading of particular frequencies and volume, a Factory Sound Processor sounds like the answer.

As far as replacing the whole shebang, Mitsubishi should pay me to replace the stereo!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TRACE on
This is the first time I've heard of the Cleansweep, and it sounds like it might be just what the doctor ordered.

When reading up a little bit about them online, the head unit seems to cause most if not all of the frequency and equalization problems in factory stereos. I got my info from the following links:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MmPg1yp...rocessors.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qVFMOuS...leansweep.html

At $300, it is about what I hoped to spend to fix the fluctuation problem. After consulting Crutchfield and THEMEMPHISFORCE's advice, an aftermarket amp does not sound like a necessity. Instead, it would further improve the quality of the sound, just as adding aftermarket speakers would.

Since my motivation is to solve the in-and-out fading of particular frequencies and volume, a Factory Sound Processor sounds like the answer.

As far as replacing the whole shebang, Mitsubishi should pay me to replace the stereo!
If and when you do get the cleansweep and if you plan on installing it yourself make sure you read all the paperwork that comes with it for setting it up and tuning your eq. It can be a royal ***** to get it right, but once it is right, it is RIGHT on the money. The first one of these my old shop I worked at put one of these in, it took us 8 hrs to set it, cuz we thought it would be straight forward. Not the case. I used to be a car audio installer just if you are wondering.

Quick Reply: SSS Stereo Volume Auto-Limiting