Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Two Single DIN devices in Double DIN kit?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Single DIN devices in Double DIN kit?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has attempted putting two single DIN devices in a double DIN dash kit? via JDM, Metra, or Scosche? Does the Evo X accommodate two single DIN units? If anyone has pictures, that would be even sweeter!

I'm trying to decide on what to do. I used to have a CarPC in my Evo8 and I loved it. I have a single DIN motorized 7" VGA LCD with Touchscreen that I uninstalled and kept from the car. I had an aftermarket headunit which I relocated below the A/C. It worked great in the Evo8. For those who are interested, I also used a Opus Power supply and recently upgraded the motherboard from a VIA 10000M to an Intel Atom motherboard. I had EvoScan and ECUflash along with iGuidance, Rhapsody, and more.

BTW, I dug up my old thread. Sorry but my site hosting the project is not around anymore:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...completed.html

I'm now debating if I should put the CarPC in my Evo X MR and get a new single DIN headunit and reuse the screen. Or just scrapped the CarPC and go with Pioneer Double DIN nav unit.

Also in the back of my head is replacing my CarPC with an iPhone. I'm a registered iPhone developer and I am currently researching the new "Accessories" feature of the iPhone 3.0 OS. It would be awesome if I could just plug in my iPhone and have the iPhone screen displayed on a large 7" LCD with full touchscreen support. Anyways...just investigating at the moment.

Thanks,
smanders

Last edited by smanders; Mar 27, 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

2 single Din Units occupy the same amt of room as a double din. The sacrifice that you will make is that the trim rings will not fit around EACH unit, you will have to get a double din trim ring to go around both of them. I have done it in a few cars and it works just fine. Some mounting kits don't need trim rings and then it will look even better!
Old Apr 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Does any know if the Metra or Scosche accomodate two single DINs? Or if there is a double DIN trim kit that works with them?
Old Apr 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Scosche kit only comes with the trim and a cubby whole compartment that screws into the back of the trim..Other then that you buy an install kit or use your existing mounting bracket of the factory radio..Pioneer sold a kit look on 6th ave page for it..Look up the navi units
Old Apr 13, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I think I found it:

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PIOADTVA133

That's exactly what I was looking for.....THANKS!!!
Old Apr 13, 2009, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

You found it..hey also look for a coupon code online..you might have to call to use it..goodluck and your welcome