Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Navi Map Updates

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Map Updates

I've read about people saying they may update the maps but has anyone actually updated the maps?

If so does the upgrade CD work on more than 1 car?

I'm sick of the old maps but it's a rip off for what the dealer is charging. I can buy a brand new garmin that updates everytime I plug it into my computer for $120-$150 that people are saying the map update costs.

If people are interested and it's possible I can buy the cd just copy it and send it to people that want it.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't run the update yet but I do have the kit. There is a DVD that contains about 4.8GB of files on it that includes a CDDB database update as well. All the "map" files are stored in *NIX gzip format and expand to about 21GB. The DVD is not encrypted and will easily ISO or copy to a DL DVD.

The kit comes with an electronic thingie (called a key) that plugs into the bottom of the MMCS panel when it's open and the install/update will not start or run without this device connected. The key looks a bit more complicated to replicate. According to the instructions, the VIN of the car (or SN of the MMCS) are copied to the key and it will not allow installation/updating to another vehicle after initialization.

The instructions also indicate that the engine must be running for the update to install and it takes about 2 hours to complete. According to the instructions the radio, nav and MMCS are not function during the entire time of the upgrade. I do not know if it will install with just ignition on, engine off and a battery charger attached as the instructions indicate the engine must be running.

If that is true, this will be the most painful upgrade of any kind I've ever experienced. I can't imagine what it would be like at a dealership to have to upgrade say five cars.
Attached Thumbnails Navi Map Updates-img_5209.jpg   Navi Map Updates-img_5214.jpg   Navi Map Updates-img_5221.jpg  
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i need maps for central america how can i get them?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

WOW WTH...that really is the most complicated software upgrade I've ever heard of...I thought it was just a auto updating DVD disc that you just insert into the MMCS.......

Originally Posted by Q15H
I haven't run the update yet but I do have the kit. There is a DVD that contains about 4.8GB of files on it that includes a CDDB database update as well. All the "map" files are stored in *NIX gzip format and expand to about 21GB. The DVD is not encrypted and will easily ISO or copy to a DL DVD.

The kit comes with an electronic thingie (called a key) that plugs into the bottom of the MMCS panel when it's open and the install/update will not start or run without this device connected. The key looks a bit more complicated to replicate. According to the instructions, the VIN of the car (or SN of the MMCS) are copied to the key and it will not allow installation/updating to another vehicle after initialization.

The instructions also indicate that the engine must be running for the update to install and it takes about 2 hours to complete. According to the instructions the radio, nav and MMCS are not function during the entire time of the upgrade. I do not know if it will install with just ignition on, engine off and a battery charger attached as the instructions indicate the engine must be running.

If that is true, this will be the most painful upgrade of any kind I've ever experienced. I can't imagine what it would be like at a dealership to have to upgrade say five cars.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Ridiculous. I'm going to call the dealer and ***** that I've already paid $40k, and I shouldn't have to drop another $300 on a map upgrade. Ridiculous that I bought a 2k9 and a 2k8 mitsu and both had 2k6 maps.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
Ridiculous. I'm going to call the dealer and ***** that I've already paid $40k, and I shouldn't have to drop another $300 on a map upgrade. Ridiculous that I bought a 2k9 and a 2k8 mitsu and both had 2k6 maps.
At least you could use your maps and have your clock be in the right time zone before this upgrade.

I got stationed in Alaska, and couldn't use the navigation or Sirius in my Outlander. My $2500+ upgrade was entirely useless.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

There's a few Mitsus here with the Nav System.. There's no map update for Hawaii yet -.-
Old Jun 11, 2009, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

No wonder it cost a crap load, you have to pay for that stupid key!. Updates should be free!
Old Jun 11, 2009, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder if you can reset that key??? or Develop some kind of software mod to accept the new maps
Old Jun 12, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

i did the update last week, you don't have to have the car turned on. i had the ignition on and a battery tender on the battery since i rarely drive the car.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

^
Good to know. Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2009, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
can anyone that's done the update verify whether or not it locks down the MMCS such that you can't change the address while driving?
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

not too sure i haven't tried it, i gotta check if my dvd in motion hack is still intact lol
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

If you updated your maps, the DVD in motion hack goes away. Hafta wait for the new hack.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
can anyone that's done the update verify whether or not it locks down the MMCS such that you can't change the address while driving?
Change what address?

Like punch in a destination address while you're driving?

Quick Reply: Navi Map Updates