Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

component speakers and mids

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2009 | 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

component speakers and mids

which is better for a component speakers for the evo x - focal 165 kf vs. diamond audio hex s600a?how many pairs should i go on components and midwoofers?and what do you think of dynaudio on the mids?i can mix and match on comps and mids, right?need advice guys....
Old Aug 2, 2009 | 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Not a huge focal fan, I myself prefer the Diamond Audio S600S. I would avoid the S600A's as I think their tweeters are way to harsh, even with the -2db cut on the crossover. This is especially true if you plan to mount them in the factory locations. I am running the silk domes in the factory sail panel locations with a -1db cut on my head unit since I am running the set actively off my amp and they sounds smooth as hell.

I just recently installed my and bought them from here http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=11755 for $199 shipped. Speakers came in a day and in perfect condition.

I would have gone with Dynaudio as these are my dream speakers, but the cost of the speakers and the cost of a really awesome SQ amp would have blown my $1200 stereo budget. With what I pieced together for $1200 sounds incredible.

All you should need is one set of components for the front doors if you are looking for really good sounds quality. Your backseat passengers will hear the music just fine. No need to waste $$ on speakers firing at the rear passengers legs and screwing up your sounds stage just so its a little louder for the passengers.

If you see my post in this section about upgrading the SSS stereo you will see how I like these and what other components I used in my stereo.
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

what did you choose for the mids?what do you think of jl w7 and their hd model amps?
Old Aug 3, 2009 | 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by morfhious3
what did you choose for the mids?what do you think of jl w7 and their hd model amps?
The comps you talked about before cover highs and mids. The JL W7 is a subwoofer. All lows. Oh and Diamond makes some really good subs also.
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SupremeX
The comps you talked about before cover highs and mids. The JL W7 is a subwoofer. All lows. Oh and Diamond makes some really good subs also.
i know jl w7 are subs.i was wondering if the image dynamics he has are good as the w7.
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

i know jl w7 are subs.i was wondering if the image dynamics he has are good as the w7.
It really depends on what kind of music you like, how you like your bass, and how much room you are willing to give up and weight you are willing to add.

Any W7 sub from the 8" to the 13" are big speakers that weight a lot. The 12" IDQ only weighs about 15lbs. The 10" W7 weighs 30lbs. The power required to drive the W7 is much higher too. The 12" IDQ RMS is 350, the 10W7 is around 400 ish.

The enclosure size is also larger. I have my IDQ in a .9 CF sealed enclosure. The 10W7 requires 1.25.

My choices were between the 12W3V3 and the IDQ. I think the IDQ is a more SQ oriented sub so I went that rout. I like the W7 series, they sounds good, loud, clean, but not as good in the SQ department as the IDQ series.

As far as the HD series amps. They look VERY similar the the Alpine PDX series I chose to run. The HD 900/5 looks like the exact same amp I chose from Alpine, the PDX-5. Both put out 75x4 but the JL puts out 500 watts on the sub to the 300 watts offered by the Alpine.

My particular Alpine delivers 114 watts x 4 and 424 watts x 1. They are very under rated as Im sure the JL's will be. They dont tax the electrical system as much as being a class D amp. Not sure how much the JL amps are, but I got my Alpine PDX-5 off eBay for $370 shipped. Killer deal on a killer amp.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 01:19 PM

I also run the PDX series, stays a lot cooler under the seat. I am running the X series of Alpine speakers, and a diamond Sub. It wont win any competitions, but its a great set up for all types of musiv.
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by strat10
I also run the PDX series, stays a lot cooler under the seat. I am running the X series of Alpine speakers, and a diamond Sub. It wont win any competitions, but its a great set up for all types of musiv.
It does run pretty cool under there. The way I mounted it, the rear floor mat sits on top of the side of the amp and the floor AC vent gets channeled past the amp for a little active cooling. lol
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 01:38 PM
EvoM Community Team

Best thing you can do is go to a speaker shop that has both brands and listen to them back-to-back. You might as well listen to other speakers while you are there. You might be surprised at how good some speakers sound to you and how bad some others sound. Being more expensive or having a recognizable brand name doesn't mean they will sound good to you.

We can't tell you which speaker is better for you. It's all based on your ears and what sounds good to you. We can only tell you our opinion of which speakers we like better for ourselves...which isn't going to help you much.
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 04:15 PM
Evolving Member

do you use the factory wirings?do you have to change it and what size?
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 09:33 PM
Evolving Member

do you use the factory wirings?do you have to change it and what size?
NOOO!!! factory wiring is a joke, I ran 16AWG from under the driver seat into both front doors. Two runs per side, one for tweeters and one for mids.

I ran 14AWG to the sub that is mounted where the windshield washer bottle use to be behind the rear seat.

Don't waste money on fancy names wire. As long as it Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) and the correct gauge, get whats cheap. Monster cable speaker wire WILL NOT make you speakers sounds any better.
Old Aug 4, 2009 | 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys....really helped a lot.