Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rockford Navi volume too low?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2009, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockford Navi volume too low?

I just got my Evo and was configuring it; it has the MMCS
. I'm playing all music on level 45 volume and it's loud, but not as loud as it should be. We have another GSR in the house and his volume at ~20-30 sounds what my car sounds like at 45. Is there a hidden setting or volume limit I should be toggling? I can't find it in the manual.

Last edited by Silhouette; Aug 3, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:17 AM

i was going to ask the same question but i have a base gsr.........When i have the volume around 20 i can barely hear it
Old Aug 4, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

depends on the song

u could try turning SVC (speed volume compensation) on and off and see if u notice a difference
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:40 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Rockford system's amplifier is the culprit. It cuts power whenever it senses the signal is clipping. It's a good feature because it will save you from blowing the speakers. It's a bad feature because it limits the system's overall sound output. Only way to make it louder is to replace the Rockford amplifier under the driver's seat.

High-end Bose, Bang & Olufsen and Mark Levinson car stereos all have a similar function to save your speakers. Those systems will play louder than the Rockford system in the Evo because those systems have a stronger amplifier to begin with.

The Rockford amp is pretty weak. It's rated at 650 peak watts which is probably only around 300 total watts RMS. That's pretty weak considering it has to drive components up front, coaxials in the back and a 10" sub.

Last edited by atombomb33; Aug 4, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

what would be a plug and play replacement for that rockford amp
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:34 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by mmartahus
what would be a plug and play replacement for that rockford amp
If you're keeping the stock head unit, there isn't a plug and play solution. There is a thread in here from a guy who was able to identify all of the wires on the stock amp's wire harness. So you could use that as a guide to keep your stock head unit and speakers while using the stock wiring for a new amp (except you'll likely need a new power wire from the battery and a new ground wire to the chassis).

EDIT: here's that thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...d-oem-amp.html
Old Aug 4, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

crazy, i guess ill just be happy with what i have
Old Aug 5, 2009, 12:02 AM

It just makes no sense that the other GSR is WAY louder than mine, we both have SSS!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:03 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Silhouette
It just makes no sense that the other GSR is WAY louder than mine, we both have SSS!
Weird. That doesn't make any sense since you both have SSS. I figured the other car had the base stock stereo.

Have you played the same CD in the cars back-to-back? It's even better if you can be playing the same CD in both cars at the same time and then quickly jump from car to car. It's really hard to tell if one stereo is truly louder than the other without a db meter.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

try turning the volume all way to zero then power off the stereo and then try turing the power and volume back on
Old Aug 5, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same issues with my Rockford setup. The output of the radio and satellite is very weak(all songs). You just can't crank it! Some songs on CD are ok but for the most part I'm highly dissappointed with the so called "650 watt" stereo. I'm replacing the amp this winter with the 5-channel pioneer this winter.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 12:26 AM
Evolved Member

Does having Nav make a difference? I have both SSS and nav, and I rarely turn my system above 27 because it gets way too loud.

I turned off the speed sensitive volume, have treble and midrange knocked up 2 or 3 bars, and bass 1 bar.

Last edited by TheBlueBlur; Aug 6, 2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoonie
I have the same issues with my Rockford setup. The output of the radio and satellite is very weak(all songs). You just can't crank it! Some songs on CD are ok but for the most part I'm highly dissappointed with the so called "650 watt" stereo. I'm replacing the amp this winter with the 5-channel pioneer this winter.
its not the amp that sucks its the headunit

change the headunit and use a metra mito02 to retain the stock amp and subwoofer.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 06:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by lancer0220
its not the amp that sucks its the headunit

change the headunit and use a metra mito02 to retain the stock amp and subwoofer.
From what has been posted on this forum, the amp is the culprit and has the sound processing that lowers output so you don't blow your speakers. The head unit is fine.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RF nav sounds fine to me, easy fix is if you dont like it sell it.

Quick Reply: Rockford Navi volume too low?