Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Funny to see this thread pop up since I spent a few hours yesterday trying to fix the problem on my X. No luck so far, Im going to have another go out at soon. Mine rattles like crazy when the bass hits.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 09:36 AM

mine would rattle from the slightest bass. when i installed my CF Duckbill trunk i forgot to reconnect the trunk actuator while adjusting it, i closed the trunk to check my fitment then realized my remote wasnt opening the trunk. i panicked and began to attempt to pull up my rear shelf up in effort to break into my trunk (then i stopped panicking and remembered about the trunk release inside the car which opened the hook not the actuator LOL) any way when i lifted up my rear shelf, it apparently fixed the problem as i began to notice no rattle from any volume level. try to slowly pull the shelf up and see if it helps
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Funny to see this thread pop up since I spent a few hours yesterday trying to fix the problem on my X. No luck so far, Im going to have another go out at soon. Mine rattles like crazy when the bass hits.
I fixed most of my rattling now. The main problem was what I NEED BOOST said.
When I pressed on the rear shelf, the rattling decreased. So I used a big roll of that thick foam double sided tape stuff and went to the trunk. I wadded up a paper towel and wrapped it with the double sided tape then shoved it under the rear shelf.
I tested the bass again and it was slightly better. I then walked around the car and realized the trunk rattled also. So I took the carpet cover off of the trunk lid and realized that the trunk safety release was rattling like crazy. I used the double sided tape and sound proofed all of the areas I could suspect be a problem. After placing double sided tape around all places plastic contacts other plastic, I found that I could turn the bass up significantly louder than before without rattle! I have to turn it up fairly loud to hear rattle now.

Places where plastic rattles against plastic, and where I put double sided tape;
-Trunk release slider (where it touches the plastic in the rest position)
-the boarder of the trunk release mechanism where it meets the carpet backing
-between the carpet backing and the metal part of the trunk (halfway between the snap clips)
-between the battery and wiper fluid plastic covers (towards the top between the snap clips)
-between where the battery and wiper fluid plastic doors close.
Attached Thumbnails Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer-2012-08-30_16-45-10_984.jpg   Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer-2012-08-30_16-45-28_774.jpg   Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer-2012-08-30_16-45-39_795.jpg   Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer-2012-08-30_16-46-42_537.jpg   Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer-2012-08-30_16-46-20_834.jpg  

Last edited by Bitner16; Sep 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added some pics
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks Bitner, Ill give those a shot. I already pulled the shelf piece inside of the car off and put tape on those. Ill try the bits inside of the trunk next.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Got my rattle taken care of. Wadding up a towel and stuffing it under the rear panel via the trunk took care of most of it. I noticed the flaps for the rear seat anchors were vibrating as well, so I put some tape on those too.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectGSX
Got my rattle taken care of. Wadding up a towel and stuffing it under the rear panel via the trunk took care of most of it. I noticed the flaps for the rear seat anchors were vibrating as well, so I put some tape on those too.
Good to hear!
Since I still have slight rattle still, I may have to try messing with those rear seat anchors as well. Thanks for the tip!