Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer

How many of you have issues with your rear seat shelf (large plastic piece behind rear seat headrests) rattling when you have bass from the subwoofer?

The reason I ask is because I'm going through a fight with the dealer about how my rear shelf rattles. I've heard of other people on here complaining about it, but never heard of anyone actually getting their dealer to fix it. My dealer told me there was "absolutely nothing" they could do about it, because they've had other people come in and complain about the issue, and have done work to try and fix the issue, but everything they try doesn't solve the problem.

This led me to call Mitsubishi and complain. I owned a 2009 Lancer GTS that didn't have this issue, and now I have an Evo that does. Both had the factory Rockford system with MMCS. They have now communicated to the dealer that they are to look into the issue and let them know what the problem is, and work to solve it. Mitsubishi is making a big deal about it to the dealer to make sure the issue is solved.

The reason I'm posting this thread is to inform everyone that Mitsubishi is aware that this is an issue with my car, but the lady has told me they are not aware of it being a bigger problem across the board. However my dealership has had numerous complaints to the point that they told me there was nothing they could do. I'd love to get Mitsubishi more involved in this issue, and other common issues (like the Bluetooth loss of pairing), so that we can have the problems resolved without it being a pain in the ***.

So, if you have the rattle, post it here. If your dealer has or has not fixed it, include that information too. I will pass any info I get, on to Mitsubishi.

Skyline Mitsubishi in Northglenn, CO
Aware of the issue but refused to fix
Old Dec 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did u actually test the rattle to see if it was infact your rear shelf? regardless they should have fixed that, i went to the dealership about this problem and we found the was coming from the rear C pillar, the air bag bracket inside the C pillar was apparently loose and was hitting against the plastic- so it was a pretty big thing that i found out about that, and i drive a 09 lancer gts btw. but anyway, i say either try to locate it yourself and go to the dealership and tell fix it or if they refuse threaten to call mitsu NA or go to another dealership becaues if ur under warranty it should be fixed, especially if u bougth the car less than a year ago. If they honestly have no way of fixing it- thats bull becuase they could always grab some dynamat and jam it in there so it wont rattle so dont let them feed u bs.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 07:00 PM

I have the same rattle coming from the shelf, its ****ing annoying. I also had a GTS with the rockford system and no rattling from it, so its most likely a Evo issue since they put the battery/fluid crap in the trunk. I am going to tear it off this weekend and dynamat it to see if I can fix it from rattling. I think the dealer would only make it worse.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

I've got the same rattle when I hit bumps sometimes. I tried to find it several times but I've been unsuccessful. I'll tear everything apart sometime and figure it out. =/
Old Dec 3, 2009, 09:04 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Open up the trunk. Take out the floor board made of particle board. On the bottom it will have these foam legs on it. Tear one off... Then tear the glue off that one. Then with the trunk open, look under the rear deck there will be a open hole to the right of center where you can push the actual rear plastic deck with your fingers. Insert the foam you tore off in that hole (might have to move a wire out of the way by removing and then reinstalling a clip) Insert it and push it towards the center of the deck with your fingers. It will be in there very snug and difficult to push.

Issue fixed...
Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:18 PM

I had this problem. Rattles were getting bad. I ended up buying black self stick foam weather stripping and putting a few pieces on the shelf where it contacts the back window. You can see it if you look close enough, but no more rattles!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by total0wnage
Did u actually test the rattle to see if it was infact your rear shelf?
It's definitely the rear shelf. You put pressure down on it, and the rattle stops.

As much as I'd love to tear apart the car and find the issue and fix it, my point of this thread is to find more people with the same issue, so that people can easily make their dealer fix the issue, rather than having to waste their own time and money on trying to fix it. Sure, going to the dealer can be a waste of time, but how nice would it be to walk in and say "my rear shelf rattles" and have them have a solution for it ready to go?

$40k for a car that rattles more than my 15 year old truck. Ridiculous.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

My Evo has the same issues with the RF system. 10k on the odo.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

LOL.... i think we all suffer with the same crap! but before i notice the one in the rear i had one inside the c pillar on the driver side... somewhere inside the metal above the seatbelt slider braket , took all the plastics , brakets left a clean pillar and took a little driver around the house with my buddy in the backseat trying to find the noise but it was coming from inside the metal.

SO long story short =P drove to homedepot and got a can of foam and foam the inside of the pillar! no more noise ( it was driving me crazy right next to my ear) =P

this weekend ill try to find the one on the rear speaker panel, will take pics and fixes if i find it!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gabesir
LOL.... i think we all suffer with the same crap! but before i notice the one in the rear i had one inside the c pillar on the driver side... somewhere inside the metal above the seatbelt slider braket , took all the plastics , brakets left a clean pillar and took a little driver around the house with my buddy in the backseat trying to find the noise but it was coming from inside the metal.

SO long story short =P drove to homedepot and got a can of foam and foam the inside of the pillar! no more noise ( it was driving me crazy right next to my ear) =P

this weekend ill try to find the one on the rear speaker panel, will take pics and fixes if i find it!
OMG! Never thought about using the insulation foam. What a great idea, in some areas.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
OMG! Never thought about using the insulation foam. What a great idea, in some areas.

hell yeaz! it really dont make any difference inside the pillar and it doesnt weight so 100% aproved!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:44 PM

HaHa yup I never really never cared about it but now that I up graded my sound system it rattles way more... But alil DynaMat did the Job
Old Dec 5, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Mine rattles like crazy so I normally don't turn the sub up past 3.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Gots the rattles two going to look into Clipses' solution...
Old Dec 6, 2009, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have this too, it got much worse when i added a 12" sub and 400 watts ...I had my installer add some dynamat but it didnt fix it seems like the deck is rattling against the rear window at certain frequencies.

Quick Reply: Rear seat shelf rattle from subwoofer