Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

What Amp for stock system?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ozzyman
Well do you have any specific recommendations for an amp or settup ? I am partial to the brands I mentioned. I don't know if I can get away with one amp or two with or without a cleansweep so which specific amps do you recommend ?
You do not need a cleansweep
You do not NEED a 5 channel amp

All you need is a simple 4 channel amp. 2 channels run the door speakers, 2 channels run the sub bridged. Using a 5 channel amp means you have to use the amplified outputs from the deck, thus amplifying an amplified signal. But you then get front to back fading. I chose sound quality over being able to fade.

Stop limiting yourself to such crappy amplifier manufacturers. Alpine really isn't all that great (JL amps have a lower THD), and kicker is not a word I even like repeating. RF amps are generally overpriced for their power output, but provide good quality. Check out the THD of the amps you want to buy. The higher the number, the crappier their components. You'll notice Alpine lists their THD for the PDX-5 at "<1% THD". It's because it's likely .99% THD, which is ridiculous. The equivalent JL amp has less than 1/10th the THD compared to the Alpine.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

Ive personally got the PDX-5 installed in mine. No cleansweep and all stock speakers and head unit. Only thing I needed were 2 new crossovers for the front as the stock amp had them built in. System sounds great to me, but im no audiophile (which judging from your link to best buy, neither are you) so its a very viable option for you. I picked mine up for $350 on Amazon and I believe you can find them even a little cheaper. Other than amp, you have about $20 for crossovers and another $40 for the amp wire kit and misc connectors and wire.

You have to realize that when you begin talking about audio... there are guys who are **** about sound and have really awesome setups... and then there are guys like me that like a good sound, but dont care about lots of the expensive details. My amp sits under my seat in the stock location, no one sees it but everyone hears it.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

webman = audiophile
spy007 = noob

But both of ours work
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Spy007
Ive personally got the PDX-5 installed in mine. No cleansweep and all stock speakers and head unit. Only thing I needed were 2 new crossovers for the front as the stock amp had them built in. System sounds great to me, but im no audiophile (which judging from your link to best buy, neither are you) so its a very viable option for you. I picked mine up for $350 on Amazon and I believe you can find them even a little cheaper. Other than amp, you have about $20 for crossovers and another $40 for the amp wire kit and misc connectors and wire.

You have to realize that when you begin talking about audio... there are guys who are **** about sound and have really awesome setups... and then there are guys like me that like a good sound, but dont care about lots of the expensive details. My amp sits under my seat in the stock location, no one sees it but everyone hears it.

Not taking sides

I did have a question... If you used a PDX-5, what did you use as your inputs? the low level at the amp, or the speaker level at the deck?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

I used the low level....

and dont laugh, but I totally jerry rigged it. I split the low levels into all 5 input channels. It sounds fine, I have sub control and everything.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hmmm
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

webman = audiophile
spy007 = noob

But both of ours work
I'm sort of a nerd.... lol

And hell yes. They both work great.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

I used the low level....

and dont laugh, but I totally jerry rigged it. I split the low levels into all 5 input channels. It sounds fine, I have sub control and everything.
There's a very slight chance that depending on how the amp uses that input, that it's too much voltage draw on the low level connectors. The only thing this does is take away from overall volume, because the low-level voltage is lower. 3 splits is a lot. Most amps have the ability to use one input for all channels. Not sure about the PDX5