Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Which fron speakers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2010, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked the car up and all is not well. CDT speakers sounded good, but sin though it may be I'm one of those guys that needs the fill in back and right now I only have fronts. Two more CDT's are on the way from woofersetc so I'll get those in asap. Must be a loose wire cause stereo was cutting out when I hit bumps but was fine when the car was stopped. My installer said to just see how the stock sub is now. I did, and it still sucks. So my thought is this. I don't have a great need for trunk space. He mounted the JL 900/5 and Audiocontrol EQ against the back trunk wall very nicely. If I have him put two good JL 8 inchers in a sealed box maybe 10-11 inches high, it would allow me to get at the EQ and give me a decent sound.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could always go with that Wicked CAS box. It fits right in the same spot as the OEM sub. Or, have your installer build a fiberglass enclosure in that same area.

Or, you could remove your spare tire and have a fiberglass enclosure built into that area.

If I were you, I would go with the Wicked CAS box or have your installer build a box to fit that area. That way you won't lose any trunk space. See what your installer would charge. If it's more than Wicked CAS, go with Wicked.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by mrMTB
They only make a drivers side box for the X - passenger side would cover the AYC reservoir. If you are replacing the stock sub with the Wicked C.A.S. box, be aware that you'll also need to order a new foam insert for the trunk - specifically the one intended for a car w/o sub (part number 7646A099 - Box, Trunk Room, LH).
You guys are really helpful. May I ask who sells the foam insert you mention?
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:10 PM

Oh, I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of the problem I'm having after the install, which I found out today while riding around(sound cutting out, then immediately coming back. Sound doesn't cut out when the car is stopped. It cuts out when I press down on the gas pedal, and when I release it. Hitting bumps doesn't cause it.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EddyC
You guys are really helpful. May I ask who sells the foam insert you mention?
Your local dealer can order the part with the number I provided - my cost was $31.22 after tax from Don Herring in Irving. Mitsubishiparts.net should also be able to get it for you...

I went through the thread you linked, and noted that they have a $50 discount for forum members - find that thread to get your box for $300 + shipping. I have one of these, and am pretty happy with it. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is a system for securing it when I go to the track and don't feel like pulling it. (Don't think it'd stay in place under those conditions.)
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh, I'm just wondering if anyone has heard of the problem I'm having after the install, which I found out today while riding around(sound cutting out, then immediately coming back. Sound doesn't cut out when the car is stopped. It cuts out when I press down on the gas pedal, and when I release it. Hitting bumps doesn't cause it.
sounds like something got crossed up when they were wiring to bypass the factory amp from the headunit. get it back to the installer and have them recheck everything and go over it all.

on a related note, we actually had one guy come in where the car's horn would honk on every rotation of the front wheels. frickin hilarious but damn annoying to say the least. after a couple hours of tracing wires, it came down to an improperly-wired aftermarket headunit/stereo setup they tried to cut corners on.

so remember when you go back in to the installer's shop, if they give you a hard time about how its not their fault and they dont have time to recheck every possible thing, anything's possible...
Old Jan 31, 2010, 06:58 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

I'd definitely bring it back to your installer to have that issue 100% taken care of, and then tested, before having them do anything else to your car. Maybe he ran new wiring to the stock head-unit, and it's getting yanked by the pedal? Or maybe the new amp isn't getting enough juice or not grounded properly? Not really sure, just a few ideas.

I've had sound cut off before on individual speakers, due to poor connections in the crimped connectors and speaker wiring adapters, but you're having multiple speakers cut out all at once?? Do the speakers still cut out when you're parked, and then press the gas pedal?

ETA: Ya, what Chi-town said too =)
Old Feb 1, 2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
I'd definitely bring it back to your installer to have that issue 100% taken care of, and then tested, before having them do anything else to your car. Maybe he ran new wiring to the stock head-unit, and it's getting yanked by the pedal? Or maybe the new amp isn't getting enough juice or not grounded properly? Not really sure, just a few ideas.

I've had sound cut off before on individual speakers, due to poor connections in the crimped connectors and speaker wiring adapters, but you're having multiple speakers cut out all at once?? Do the speakers still cut out when you're parked, and then press the gas pedal?

ETA: Ya, what Chi-town said too =)
Yup, car stopped and in neutral, still cuts out when I press the pedal.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:40 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Yup, car stopped and in neutral, still cuts out when I press the pedal.
Ya, that's kinda weird. I'd say take a look, and maybe see if you can feel around near the accelerator assembly and see if there's any wires caught up. Maybe instead of splicing into the wires near the factory amp, your installer spliced into the end just behind the head-unit and ran back new interconnects?

Either way, I'd definitely make sure they fixed the issue if you're paying them for the install.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:54 PM

They were able to fix the problem. Now I have to start adjusting the settings to get an acceptable sound. But I won't get really good sound until I replace the sub, which I hope to do before long.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:40 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

They were able to fix the problem. Now I have to start adjusting the settings to get an acceptable sound.
Glad to hear they got it fixed

How's the mid-bass on the CDTs?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
Glad to hear they got it fixed

How's the mid-bass on the CDTs?
All EQ settings are at 0 and my wife said the music says it sounds like it's coming out of a well. LOL As soon as I get a chance I'll follow the audiocontrol instructions to set up the EQ and start making adjustments. I think I'll also go ahead and order that custom box for the sub with the forum discount. I am a JL fan when it comes to subs and want the W6 back there. I really appreciate the help you guys are providing. I'm far from an expert on any of this stuff, but I enjoy reading and learning as I make mods to my EVO.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:38 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

All EQ settings are at 0 and my wife said the music says it sounds like it's coming out of a well. LOL As soon as I get a chance I'll follow the audiocontrol instructions to set up the EQ and start making adjustments.
Yikes, that doesn't seem normal.. hopefully your shop didn't mix-up the polarity on the CDTs during the install.

I'm not familiar with the stock RF stereo, but my non-SSS HU has preset EQ settings (pop/country/etc), field settings (live/hall/etc), and 3-band EQ settings. I'd check to see if yours has anything similar, and set them all to off (or normal or 0).. especially before you start tweaking your Audiocontrol EQ.

Ya, I think you can even order the CASbox pre-loaded with the W6.. just not sure how much extra that is. Haha, I'm no expert either.. just a guy with ears that are more critical than my poor wallet can bear, lol.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:30 AM

Yes, I have those presets. I made just 3 adjustments on the EQ before the ride home yesterday and the sound is much better. Really brought the speakers to life. Should sound great when I get it totally dialed in, and especially with a new sub. No regrets at all on the CDT's. My wife is cool with the upgrades, but she must know something else is in the works when she keeps coming downstairs to catch me listening to clips from the exhaust thread.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
Yikes, that doesn't seem normal.. hopefully your shop didn't mix-up the polarity on the CDTs during the install.

I'm not familiar with the stock RF stereo, but my non-SSS HU has preset EQ settings (pop/country/etc), field settings (live/hall/etc), and 3-band EQ settings. I'd check to see if yours has anything similar, and set them all to off (or normal or 0).. especially before you start tweaking your Audiocontrol EQ.

Ya, I think you can even order the CASbox pre-loaded with the W6.. just not sure how much extra that is. Haha, I'm no expert either.. just a guy with ears that are more critical than my poor wallet can bear, lol.
I just ordered the box and sub. Boy, it was under $700 for the 12" W6 and box. That seems like a really decent price.

Quick Reply: Which fron speakers