Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Which fron speakers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:09 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyC
I just ordered the box and sub. Boy, it was under $700 for the 12" W6 and box. That seems like a really decent price.
Good deal.. definitely worth it for having a custom-fit fiberglass enclosure imo!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:13 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tenevoten
whats wrong with the oem speakers? lol
Actually, they're not as bad as I was expecting.. and I've only got the standard, non-RF ones. I think swapping to an aftermarket head-unit with stock speakers would probably be a bigger improvement than changing the speakers and keeping the stock HU, imo.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 02:35 AM

Still waiting for my sub to arrive, but I've had the CDT speakers in for over a week now and have them dialed in pretty good on the EQ. For anyone considering CDT I would highly recommend them. In recent cars I went with high quality JL and Polk speakers, but these $179 CL-61A-25 speakers are right up there with them. A very tight sound and I can crank them up with my JL 900/5 amp. If you go for them, just know the -25 gives you their highest quality tweeters. Got them from woofersetc.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 02:01 PM

Gotta love the UPS guy. Came home to find my CAS box and JL sub on my doorstep. Oh boy, oh boy.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:17 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Nice, now get that sucker in there!

ETA: Just wondering.. was the sub already pre-installed, or seperate??
Old Feb 16, 2010, 11:54 AM

Got the CAS box and W6 in. As you can see, nice clean look. Now I can really enjoy my Billy Idol.

Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the CAS box and W6 in. As you can see, nice clean look. Now I can really enjoy my Billy Idol.

You tease us with a picture and don't tell us how it sounds? What the hell is going on here? j/k How does it sound running off the JL 900/5 amp?
Old Feb 16, 2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by atombomb33
You tease us with a picture and don't tell us how it sounds? What the hell is going on here? j/k How does it sound running off the JL 900/5 amp?
I'll quote my favorite line from Arthur when someone asked him what it was like to ride on a yacht. It doesn't suck. It doesn't shake my rear view mirror at stop lights so I can't see what's behind me like the two JL 12's I had in a previous car, but I'm quite happy with it. A real quality piece and they got it to me pretty fast so I give CAS a
Old Feb 16, 2010, 07:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

Good to hear. I had a 12W6 in a custom fiberglass box (similar to the CAS box you have) in my Evo IX. Had it running of a JL 500/1 amp. It sounded great. Tight bass. Clean. Defined. Smooth. Had great extension. Musical. I was impressed with it. Glad you're enjoying your sub/amp combo.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 05:10 AM

Good to hear. I had a 12W6 in a custom fiberglass box (similar to the CAS box you have) in my Evo IX. Had it running of a JL 500/1 amp. It sounded great. Tight bass. Clean. Defined. Smooth. Had great extension. Musical. I was impressed with it. Glad you're enjoying your sub/amp combo.
Thanks. I'll remember that description every time I read a post demeaning anyone so reckless with their money and so uneducated as to purchase a JL sub.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 02:36 AM

I do have a question though. I am not into heavy rap or anything, but I'm not getting the thump out of the sub that I'd like. Could it be that my JL amp simply isn't putting enough juice to it and I need another amp for the sub. I think the RMS range for the sub was something like 150-500. Thanks for any advice.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 05:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

I do have a question though. I am not into heavy rap or anything, but I'm not getting the thump out of the sub that I'd like. Could it be that my JL amp simply isn't putting enough juice to it and I need another amp for the sub. I think the RMS range for the sub was something like 150-500. Thanks for any advice.
Are you talking about overall volume? Or are you talking about really hitting the low bass notes?

If it's overall volume, one 12" in a small enclosure will only play so loud...regardless of brand.

Do you know the cu. ft. inside the enclosure? It could be that it's too small which is going to hurt both overall volume and bass extension into the low notes.

It could be the amp doesn't have enough juice from the electrical system, but it's supposed to be putting out 500w RMS which is a perfect match for the sub.

It could be that your electrical system isn't supplying enough juice when the amp is reaching for more electricity to hit a really low note or heavy bass section of music. You could 1) upgrade the Big 3 (google it) 2) replace your alternator (could cost $300, but will be the most ideal fix) 3) replace your battery with one meant for high-power audio system (might not really help since your alternator isn't creating enough current) 4) add a capacitor (same as the battery).

Hope that helps.

Last edited by atombomb33; Feb 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 06:12 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

If you're running the 900/5, it should be feeding around 500RMS to the 10W6, which would be close to the sub's upper limits. You can try adjusting your eq to dial in a little more low-end, but I really don't think you're gonna get close to the output of two 12's from a single sealed 10" (Edit: forgot you got the 12" CAS)

Since you had everything done by an installer, you might want to go through everything and re-adjust all the gains and crossovers to your own liking.. I'd say start off at 24dB LP @ 80Hz, and work down from there. Also, maybe try toggling on/off the infrasonic filter, and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, glad to hear you got everything installed.. looks nice!

Last edited by AFD; Feb 19, 2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 08:33 AM

Thanks for the responses. As far as the enclosure goes, the CAS box isn't really a box any more than the stock unit is, just basically a fiberglass enclosure molded to fit around the sub and fit in the opening. There isn't really any "space". That has to be a big part of the issue. I read a post elsewhere about the W6 that in the right box, and even used for home theatre which the guy experimented with, it's output is incredible. But, I do have my trunk space It's a tight sound, but I think the best thing is to work with my EQ and the installer to get more of the punch I'm looking for, while also admitting that it isn't ever going to be like the two 12's I had. Damn, it's hard to step down. That Infiniti studio on wheels with the 12's in the trunk made for some great sounds.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
If you're running the 900/5, it should be feeding around 500RMS to the 10W6, which would be close to the sub's upper limits. You can try adjusting your eq to dial in a little more low-end, but I really don't think you're gonna get close to the output of two 12's from a single sealed 10" (Edit: forgot you got the 12" CAS)

Since you had everything done by an installer, you might want to go through everything and re-adjust all the gains and crossovers to your own liking.. I'd say start off at 24dB LP @ 80Hz, and work down from there. Also, maybe try toggling on/off the infrasonic filter, and see if that makes a difference.

Anyway, glad to hear you got everything installed.. looks nice!
Ok, your suggestion really helped. My EQ setting is 90 Hz. Started at 12db but could tell that would give me a headache before I got to work, so I backed off to around 7 db and that did the trick. I have a sub adjustment knob under the dash which didn't seem to be having much effect. But bringing gain to that range had the result of making that knob much more useable for dialing in bass for various songs. Thanks for your help guys.