Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Which fron speakers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which fron speakers

I guess this is a tough one, since if you have one you don't know what the other sounds like, but wondering what the feeling is between CDT CL-61A-25 6.5" speakers and Focal 165VR3's. Thanks. Just ordered my JL 900/5 AMP so I want to be careful selecting speakers, EQ, and possible replacement sub.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 01:11 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

I've used a set of 6.5" Focal Polyglass co-axes as fronts for several years, and they sound great -- but gave me major ear fatigue after 10-20min of listening at moderate volume levels (even with tweeter attenuation at 0db or -3db settings on the crossover). Also felt that the mid-bass was lacking for any frequencies below 100Hz, which probably wouldn't be as much of a problem with the 3-way setup your looking at. But I'm not really sure how you're planning on squeezing both 6.5" and 4" speakers up front though.

Was thinking about switching to CDT components for my next install, based solely on the company's good reviews, but have never had the pleasure of listening to them in person. Would like to step up to Focal's K2 Power series, but I really can't justify spending $600+ on a single pair of speakers.

Good luck with your decision!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 05:02 AM

Well, woofersetc offered such a good deal on the CDT speakers that I'm going with them. Also a JL 900/5 amp, audiocontrol EQ and a JL w6 10" sub. I'll post how the setup sounds after install next Friday.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Nice.. which CDT set did you get? And what are you using for a head unit??

Sounds like a nice setup.. looking forward to hearing your opinion on the CDTs.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:41 AM

Focal or Kicker is what I have used in previous Evo's will most likely go with FOCAL for my X. Let me know what you end up getting.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by AFD
Nice.. which CDT set did you get? And what are you using for a head unit??

Sounds like a nice setup.. looking forward to hearing your opinion on the CDTs.
After we lost AM radio installing an AVIC Z-2 in our GTI I promised my wife I'd never swap out a factory head unit. That worked out ok because we just put in the Z100 BT. Excellent unit. But with the EVO the nav, music hard drive and blue tooth is decent, so I'm just replacing the amp with a JL 900/5. Joining it in the trunk will be an Audiocontrol EQ and a JL 10W6 10" sub. The speakers are CDT CL61A-25's. So many speaker recommendations out there. I was just intrigued with CDT and for around $179 for the set I went with them.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:05 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Wow, that's a great deal for the CDTs.. almost half the price I paid for my Focal co-axes!

Definitely let us know how they sound when you get them installed, and if you run into any fitment issues with the mid-bass or tweeters. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:29 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good choice on the CDTs. They make great component speaker sets. I've heard them in some SQ sound competition vehicles and they sound great.

What are you going to do for an enclosure for the W6?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Good choice on the CDTs. They make great component speaker sets. I've heard them in some SQ sound competition vehicles and they sound great.

What are you going to do for an enclosure for the W6?
Well, I had hoped to pick my car up today but it was all tore up at closing time so I'll get it tomorrow. As you summised, the W6 wouldn't fit, but he thinks they can find a JL that will. But he made an adjustment to the RF, stuff above my head when he explained it, and I do have the JL 900/5 powering it, so he said I should check out how it sounds and maybe I'll just want to leave it. At any rate, really looking forward to getting my car tomorrow.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EddyC
Well, I had hoped to pick my car up today but it was all tore up at closing time so I'll get it tomorrow. As you summised, the W6 wouldn't fit, but he thinks they can find a JL that will. But he made an adjustment to the RF, stuff above my head when he explained it, and I do have the JL 900/5 powering it, so he said I should check out how it sounds and maybe I'll just want to leave it. At any rate, really looking forward to getting my car tomorrow.
Is he putting the sub in the stock RF box?
Old Jan 30, 2010, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Is he putting the sub in the stock RF box?
I had asked him to try. You know, since we can get about a bag of groceries and a towel back there as it is. But that wasn't happenin. So the stock sub is still there for the moment.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:21 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

I think there's an EvoM member here that makes a fiberglass replica of the RF sub box that's supposed to fit a W6 (comes loaded with it, or empty). I'll see if I can find the thread again, as it looks really nice.. otherwise, I'm pretty sure he was on Ebay and had his own site as well.

I honestly have no idea why JL just doesn't make up a nice Stealthbox for the lancer platform.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AFD
I think there's an EvoM member here that makes a fiberglass replica of the RF sub box that's supposed to fit a W6 (comes loaded with it, or empty). I'll see if I can find the thread again, as it looks really nice.. otherwise, I'm pretty sure he was on Ebay and had his own site as well.

I honestly have no idea why JL just doesn't make up a nice Stealthbox for the lancer platform.
i saw the thread you're talking about. its like 350 for just the enclosure tho. a local shop may be able to do something a bit cheaper.

i can't remember which thread it was, but the company has their own website. its wickedcas(dot)com. then on the left click on "magic boxes". then scroll down and click on . last 3 items are the ones you're gonna be looking for. good thing about these is they make both driver and passenger side if you wanted to get a little more boom or be able to achieve a more proper stereo effect out of your trunk.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

They only make a drivers side box for the X - passenger side would cover the AYC reservoir. If you are replacing the stock sub with the Wicked C.A.S. box, be aware that you'll also need to order a new foam insert for the trunk - specifically the one intended for a car w/o sub (part number 7646A099 - Box, Trunk Room, LH).

Last edited by mrMTB; Jan 30, 2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 03:08 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
i saw the thread you're talking about. its like 350 for just the enclosure tho. a local shop may be able to do something a bit cheaper.

i can't remember which thread it was, but the company has their own website. its wickedcas(dot)com.
Ya, that's the one, thanks! The thread is here (link) with pics on the first 3 pages, and the product page is here (link).

Seems pretty nice for $350.. I bought an Audioformz fiberglass box years ago for around $250, and it was just a universal-fit enclosure and the speaker mounting system was like a puzzle.

Originally Posted by mrMTB
If you are replacing the stock sub with the Wicked C.A.S. box, be aware that you'll also need to order a new foam insert for the trunk - specifically the one intended for a car w/o sub (part number 7646A099 - Box, Trunk Room, LH).
Good info, I didn't even see that mentioned anywhere.. actually I kinda figured it'd be the opposite case.

Quick Reply: Which fron speakers