Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

witch battery

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
witch battery

Hey guys I was just wondering what battery you guys recommend for a big sound system my lights dim when i turn it way up. lol
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a 10 Farad capacitor. That will help a lot!! If you just want to get a battery, go Optima! Red Top for daily driver, Yellow top for weekend racer. Yellow top is Gel and can be very hard to start in winter, but is a deep cycle which means it can be fully discharged and then fully recharged to max capacity. Yellow also recharges much faster.
I have a red top. Love it!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

The one with the most broomstick power!
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

I prefer the wicked west variety.
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:25 PM

red top it is
Old Jan 24, 2010, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with the capacitor. I used to run 2 JL 12's in the back of my Prelude and it would dim the lights sometimes. I got a 3 farad capacitor for mine and it did the trick. 10 might be a little much.

The battery probably isn't bad, you are just overdrawing on its current. Swapping out for a new one likely wont fix anything. Try a smaller capacitor first, it will be cheaper, and probably will fix the problem completely.

Watch the spelling, or else put your flame suit on.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 06:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Upgrade your alternator. That's the only true fix. Bigger batteries and adding capacitors are just band-aids that don't fix the real problem. The real problem being that your audio system along with all the other electric needs of the car, are drawing more amps than the stock alternator can provide.

EDIT: And let me just say that an alternator upgrade is an extreme way of solving this issue of dimming headlights. A capacitor or better battery can help. But, in the end, it's not solving the root problem.

Back when I had my IX, I put in a decent stereo. Had light dimming. A forum member set up a group buy for new alternators. I believe it was around $250-275 for the new alternator. So, price is not that bad. You could spend that much on a new Optima battery and a capacitor.

Last edited by atombomb33; Jan 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Optima yellow top for kick a$$ sound system ... yeah an alternator upgrade would be good too. running on optima red top now and lovin' it
Old Jan 25, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

This is what I have in my X

Better than Kinetik and Optima
odysseybatteries.com
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:25 PM

got any ideas where to get better alternator.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Which, which is witch?

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Upgrade your alternator. That's the only true fix. Bigger batteries and adding capacitors are just band-aids that don't fix the real problem. The real problem being that your audio system along with all the other electric needs of the car, are drawing more amps than the stock alternator can provide.

EDIT: And let me just say that an alternator upgrade is an extreme way of solving this issue of dimming headlights. A capacitor or better battery can help. But, in the end, it's not solving the root problem.

Back when I had my IX, I put in a decent stereo. Had light dimming. A forum member set up a group buy for new alternators. I believe it was around $250-275 for the new alternator. So, price is not that bad. You could spend that much on a new Optima battery and a capacitor.
Agreed. /thread/

Last edited by HR2L; Jan 26, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

oddysey batteries are great for your situation
Old Jan 26, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by atombomb33

I completely agree. An alternator is the correct solution to the root of the problem. But few people want to try their hand at swapping alternator. H.O. alternator is what you really need not just a new one. Minimum $300. Do the alternator if you can. If not, the capacitor really helps and so does an Optima.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

fail to you sir !!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 27, 2010, 07:18 AM

In the world of car audio capacitors are a joke. They just look cool and some even show you voltage. The quick fix is upgrading you existing battery with a deep cell.
I prefer Kinetik. Optima are decent but not the best.
Along with upgrading the battery you can do what is called the big 3.
Big 3 = upgraded wire from battery to alt., battery to chassis, chassis to engine block

If these two upgrades don't fix the problem its time to upgrade to a high output alt.

capacitor = waste of money
battery = easy fix but can be pricey
big 3 = easy fix and cheap
HO alt = expensive

Quick Reply: witch battery