Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Stock/Factory Lancer Evo Alternator - How many Amps?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stock/Factory Lancer Evo Alternator - How many Amps?

How many Amps does the stock Lancer Evo amp put out? I am trying to find out how much power I can pull from it. I have seen aftermarket alternators for the Evo touting 150 amps, but what does the factory alternator output?

Thanks in advance! :-)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Stock Evo X = 130 amps
Old Jun 6, 2010, 04:37 AM

Does the EvoX have any sort of Stock Alternator fuse that can blow and require replacing (I suppose it should be okay up to 130 Amps)?
I plan on putting an aftermarket system which will draw about 110 Amps so I assume I shouldn't have to replace anything.
What about if i had a system that far exceeded 130 Amps, would I need to upgrade / replace the Alternator wire to a lower gauge or larger fuse (bypassing the stock fuse if it exists)? Is this achieved by simply running thicker wire from the Alternator to the battery?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you are concerned about mass amp draw, I would recommend replacing the grounds. Make sure that you have an excellent ground source through out your chassis. this will help you to reduce problems later on down the road, and also free up a little power in the engine since the alt wont have to work as hard. Second look to www.kinetikaudio.com their batteries are amazing. I have installed dual HC800s on vehicles with 130 amp Alts, and their amp to power consumption ratios where fairly significant. once the Batteries where in, there was no bass pulse in the headlights , and they were receiving a clean 13.8 Volts at the amps during high volume play. If you are however, going to install a stereo system of san andreas crumbling, city destroying levels, then I would remove your alternator, and either have it rewound for high output and a new rectifier. or you can call up the guys at www.ohiogen.com/html/catalog.html or
www.stingerelectronics.com and have a custom alternator built to your specification.

all in all, it depends on what you are installing. if you are going with some rediculous equipment, then I would start considering the above. If not, look at each piece, and start looking at the Battery. Make sure you do some research on the Power cable size, and get the right fuses. go to the12volt.com forums for more detailed specs, and audio lovers like me live there so your questions can be answered quickly.