Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Replacing all the stock speakers????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Webman
It's not the right amp if you plan on using the 2 channel low level inputs under the seat. Because the stock system only puts out 2 channels of audio, there's no reason to have a 4 channel amp because the two pairs are using the same signal. You really only need a 4 channel amp, with one set running the 4 door speakers, and the other set bridged to the sub. Again, check out my thread's first post on amp selection for my system and why I chose it over a 5 channel amp. I suggest the JL Audio G4500, and it fits like a glove.

Now, if you want to run new RCA wires from the deck and amplify an already amplified signal, then that's an option. Then you will get all 4 channels, and still maintain fading. But IMO, that's just photocopying a photocopy, to amplify an amplified signal.

Either way, It's a great amp, but its THD is much higher than that of the JL HD900/5 or the G4500.
why would a 5 channel amp not work?

why can't i use all the 5 channel?

can you explain?

thanks

kirk
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:47 AM
Evolved Member

Because your outputting 2 channels of audio, not 5. So you would basically be using 5 wires to do the job of two wires, if you want to do that, have fun, it WILL sound exactly the same, but be a lot less neat, and a lot more expensive and troublesome
Old Apr 9, 2010, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace the stock amp. You will get a better sound quality.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

can i use the PDX5 (5 channel amp) to replace the stock amp then?

why or why not?

thanks

kirk
Old Apr 9, 2010, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Kirk... if you havent bought it yet, dont. As Webman has said for one, we dont need a 5 channel amp as you only have 2 channels coming from the head unit. Left and right channels... not front left, front right, rear left, rear right.... so a 5 channel amp is somewhat more of a cost than a benefit compared to a 4 channel amp.

That being said, if you plan on replacing the head unit soon as well, a 5 channel amp is good to get because then you are "future proofing" your stereo system as most aftermarket head units will have pre-amp outputs for the channels.

Why not to get the PDX-5... not only is it somewhat spendy compared to some nice JL Audio 4 channel systems like what Webman installed, it also has a very high distortion rate compared to most (as pointed out by Webman). Had I been smart enough to understand most of this when I jumped the gun to buy the amp... I wouldnt have bought the PDX-5 however to me, it will still be better than stock and I am planning on upgrading to a carputer type system in the future and a 5 channel amp will work nicely.

However if you really want the PDX5.... I would be willing to sell you mine for $360 shipped (same cost as it was for me) if you want it today. If you dont, im gonna install it tomorrow.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by Spy007
Kirk... if you havent bought it yet, dont. As Webman has said for one, we dont need a 5 channel amp as you only have 2 channels coming from the head unit. Left and right channels... not front left, front right, rear left, rear right.... so a 5 channel amp is somewhat more of a cost than a benefit compared to a 4 channel amp.

That being said, if you plan on replacing the head unit soon as well, a 5 channel amp is good to get because then you are "future proofing" your stereo system as most aftermarket head units will have pre-amp outputs for the channels.

Why not to get the PDX-5... not only is it somewhat spendy compared to some nice JL Audio 4 channel systems like what Webman installed, it also has a very high distortion rate compared to most (as pointed out by Webman). Had I been smart enough to understand most of this when I jumped the gun to buy the amp... I wouldnt have bought the PDX-5 however to me, it will still be better than stock and I am planning on upgrading to a carputer type system in the future and a 5 channel amp will work nicely.

However if you really want the PDX5.... I would be willing to sell you mine for $360 shipped (same cost as it was for me) if you want it today. If you dont, im gonna install it tomorrow.
i already got the PDX-5

my question is the one Left and right channels coming from the head unit contains high and low signals. why can't i use it like a "single pre amp output" and "out" the signal to the front right/left, rear right/left and sub (5 channels)?

the "in" only need one.

I do not need to the fade and the sub control.

thanks again guys.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kirkklau
i already got the PDX-5

my question is the one Left and right channels coming from the head unit contains high and low signals. why can't i use it like a "single pre amp output" and "out" the signal to the front right/left, rear right/left and sub (5 channels)?

the "in" only need one.

thanks again guys.
Well thats essentially how you would be hooking it up. The front channel would be going to 2 channels and the rear would do the same.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Spy007
Well thats essentially how you would be hooking it up. The front channel would be going to 2 channels and the rear would do the same.
never mind, just got a alpine head with 6 channels pre amp out.

too much work to keep the stock head!!

thanks again.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

i already got the PDX-5

the "in" only need one.

thanks again guys.
That's the idea. But my point is, you don't need a 5 channel amp for that. You will use 2 low-level channels to feed 5 channels on the amp. The wires at the amp are low level, not high level amplified.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

never mind, just got a alpine head with 6 channels pre amp out.

too much work to keep the stock head!!

thanks again.
Man, you are completely lost... 2 ohm tweeters, 4 ohm speakers, 5 channel amp, and replacing the head unit simply because you don't understand something that is quite simple.

Seems to me like you jumped the gun on every one of your purchases without knowing what you're getting into. IMO, you are in over your head.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Smile

Originally Posted by Webman
Man, you are completely lost... 2 ohm tweeters, 4 ohm speakers, 5 channel amp, and replacing the head unit simply because you don't understand something that is quite simple.

Seems to me like you jumped the gun on every one of your purchases without knowing what you're getting into. IMO, you are in over your head.
got the tweeter yesterday, they are 4ohm.

thanks again.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:06 PM

Um actually the base OEM headunit, the 6cd RF Headunit and on the NAVI all have 4 channel output.

I don't know where anyone got the idea its only 2. On the 20 PIN connector on the back of the all 3 headunits, 8 of those wires are for the front and rear speakers, that's 4 sets of 2 wires (+/-) ie: 4 channels.

Now the OEM AMP is a DSP, which does signal processing, It actually takes the signal from all 4 channels and reprocesses them to go back to the door speakers, the tweeters, and the dual voice sub. Which actually makes it a 8 Channel amp.

Do some research people.

So in turn a 5 channel amp is PERFECTLY fine. Definitely get rid of the stock amp if replacing the door speakers. Use the 4 channels from the headunit to feed the 5 Channel amp, all you need to do is use an RCA Splitter. And by using the Gain, Bass and Crossover settings to get a proper feed to your sub(s).
Old Apr 14, 2010, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I had mine apart this weekend and I dont know what kind of crack you are smoking but the non navi SSS EVO does NOT have 4 channels. It has 5 wires that run from the head unit to the amp and that is 2 channels.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by matchstick
Um actually the base OEM headunit, the 6cd RF Headunit and on the NAVI all have 4 channel output.

I don't know where anyone got the idea its only 2. On the 20 PIN connector on the back of the all 3 headunits, 8 of those wires are for the front and rear speakers, that's 4 sets of 2 wires (+/-) ie: 4 channels.

Now the OEM AMP is a DSP, which does signal processing, It actually takes the signal from all 4 channels and reprocesses them to go back to the door speakers, the tweeters, and the dual voice sub. Which actually makes it a 8 Channel amp.

Do some research people.

So in turn a 5 channel amp is PERFECTLY fine. Definitely get rid of the stock amp if replacing the door speakers. Use the 4 channels from the headunit to feed the 5 Channel amp, all you need to do is use an RCA Splitter. And by using the Gain, Bass and Crossover settings to get a proper feed to your sub(s).
If you were actually paying attention at all, you'd realize that this entire time I've said over and over again that there are 4 channels AMPLIFIED at the back of the head unit, and there are 2 LOW LEVEL NON-AMPLIFIED channels at the amp. The stock head unit DOES NOT PUT OUT 4 CHANNELS OF LOW LEVEL AUDIO. Only 4 channels of amplified audio. I don't care to re-amplify poorly amplified signals with high distortion levels. I opt for quality over the convenience to fade front to back.

But hey, what do I know? I've only been doing this for about 17 years, so I'm sort of a noob.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

got the tweeter yesterday, they are 4ohm.

thanks again.
Nice!!! Make full use of that amp!!

Quick Reply: Replacing all the stock speakers????