Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Replacing all the stock speakers????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matchstick
OK, for an 8 Channel DSP Amp of its size the Fosgate isn't that bad.
But it is "bad". Just not that bad.

FWIW I think that the Rockford Stereo is beyond Awful and no-way near worth the price that they are charging. The stereo in my daughter's stock 2003 Civic plays nicer, and louder than the Rockford Crap.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a good car audio forum to find more info about different speakers and a good classified section? I’m looking up speakers everywhere but not sure what the differences are between difference brands or even between the same brands.
Old May 23, 2010, 11:41 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Webman
I fail at laymen's terms. HA.

Seriously All money spent on those speakers and subs, would better spent on just replacing the amp. I almost **** when I heard the stock speakers with my new amp! As a matter of fact, I'm still running the stockers in the rear doors! I think they sound great, but I never sit back there. You'd have to ask my dog.
LOL you let your dog in your car?! nuts. I barely let my WIFE in the car

Originally Posted by rightaway
Is there a good car audio forum to find more info about different speakers and a good classified section? I’m looking up speakers everywhere but not sure what the differences are between difference brands or even between the same brands.
I like sounddomain for reviews, and i like realmofexcursion for professional audiophile discussions.

I got fed up with both the amp and the headunit. The headunit is too limiting for what I want it to do. It does things I find offensive (like handsfree conversations needing to be blasted in order to hear out of the right speaker and then the hang up beep piercing my ears, no ipod controls, no dvd mp3s, no video in from ipod, forgetting the pair on my phone, etc).

So tuesday, the following goes in:
Kenwood DNX 7140
JL Audio G6600 in trunk replacing the spare with a custom cabinet
Nakamichi variable crossover for sub
10" Polk Momo sub (got for free brand new)
CDT Audio NEO 6.5 in all 4 doors
CDT Audio tweeters and crossovers

When you want something done right... do it yourself. I may forgo replacing the stock speakers for now to cut the work load down and put the CDTs in later. Maybe just run the stockers until they blow.

For now, I'm stoked. Real navigation unit that tells you if you're speeding on that road or not, real ipod integration, a decent equalizer... screw the stock system imo.

I'm also considering putting a micro ITX computer in the dash so I can run my EvoScan any time I want and monitor all the attributes of the car while driving. This would make it so I don't need gauges all over the car that really doesn't have a good place for them.

But going back to what Webman said. You definitely need to replace the factory amp. He'll disagree with me on this one, but I am not a fan of the factory head unit at all. I'd much rather have a competition 1din 3 set pre-amp headunit than that thing. At least that 1 din would be able to handle ipod connectivity and have it's own DAC to use instead of the crappy ipod DAC.

/rant . Oh yah pics and review coming later.

BTW... it cost me $0 to upgrade the headunit to the kenwood dnx 7140 after selling my factory unit, and I already had the sub, amp, and crossover. I think total I'll have about $300 in for the CDT Audio speakers, which I didn't need right away. I say do yourself a favor and replace the whole system.

Last edited by migs647; May 23, 2010 at 11:44 AM.