Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Replacing all the stock speakers????

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Replacing all the stock speakers????

i will be replacing all the stock speakers with

Front and back Pioneer 4 ways speakers

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA1...3R.html?tp=105

Infinity Kappa 10.9t tweeters 2ohm

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108109T...9t.html?tp=107

and Punch Stage 1 10" ported enclosed subwoofer 4ohm svc

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_510/Enc...ubwoofers.html

Question is do you guys think all the speakers will work with the stock amp with no problem. I am concern about the ohm of the new speakers and how they will work with the stock amp.

I will not be replacing the amp because i still want to keep the stock head unit and amp for now.

thanks guys.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO NOT use the stock amp!!!

All that work you're putting into replacing the speakers, is completely worthless! And I mean, COMPLETELY worthless. Do yourself a favor and replace the amp before you consider doing anything else. You can keep the stock head unit without any issues.

Why did you buy 2 ohm tweeters? Depending on your wiring, mixing ohm levels with similar power requirements can bring about issues. The only reason you should be buying 2 ohm tweets, is with 2 ohm speakers, to wire them in series to have a 4 ohm load. But in stereo, most amps go to a 2 ohm load without issue, so it's a moot point. 4 ohm speakers with a 2 ohm tweet will put a 3 ohm load on the amp. In you case, let's say your amp produces 100W RMS @4ohm. With 2 4ohm speakers wired parallel (one tweet, one woofer), each speaker gets 100W RMS. In your setup with 4ohm speaker, and 2 ohm tweet, it's a 3ohm load, which means each speaker gets less than 75W RMS each.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman

All that work you're putting into replacing the speakers, is completely worthless! And I mean, COMPLETELY worthless. Do yourself a favor and replace the amp before you consider doing anything else. You can keep the stock head unit without any issues.

Why did you buy 2 ohm tweeters? Depending on your wiring, mixing ohm levels with similar power requirements can bring about issues. The only reason you should be buying 2 ohm tweets, is with 2 ohm speakers, to wire them in series to have a 4 ohm load. But in stereo, most amps go to a 2 ohm load without issue, so it's a moot point. 4 ohm speakers with a 2 ohm tweet will put a 3 ohm load on the amp. In you case, let's say your amp produces 100W RMS @4ohm. With 2 4ohm speakers wired parallel (one tweet, one woofer), each speaker gets 100W RMS. In your setup with 4ohm speaker, and 2 ohm tweet, it's a 3ohm load, which means each speaker gets less than 75W RMS each.
but will it still work if i mixed 2 ohm tweeter into the stock amp?

how about the 4ohm sub that i got, will it work with the stock amp? (just take out the whole stock sub and wire the harness to the new sub enclosure?)

i really want to keep the stock head and do not want to get through the trouble of rewiring the stock amp.

thanks again
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kirkklau
but will it still work if i mixed 2 ohm tweeter into the stock amp?

how about the 4ohm sub that i got, will it work with the stock amp? (just take out the whole stock sub and wire the harness to the new sub enclosure?)

i really want to keep the stock head and do not want to get through the trouble of rewiring the stock amp.

thanks again
Of course it will work. But you're not going to get the most out of the amp. Also, the stock speakers are 1ohm, which means the stock amp is designed to run a completely different load than that of a standard aftermarket stereo.

What you are dong is completely pointless if you don't replace the stock amp. The stock amp can't even push the stock speakers as far as they are capable. Why would new speakers make anything any better? Besides, you can't even adjust the stock amp, which means if your volume levels are off, you're stuck with buying a new amp anyway. The stock speakers are polypropylene (not paper like most stock speakers) so they are actually of pretty damn good quality. It's just that the coils are 1ohm and they aren't designed to take a ridiculous amount of power. Also, the stock amp is designed to output sub power to 2 voice coils, not one. So you may even lose half of the power of the sub channel on the amp.

But really, replacing allllllllll those speakers and spending all that time and money, will net you exactly zero and may put you in a worse position if you don't replace the amp.

Replace the amp. Seriously. It sucks, it's a dirty job. But you can find a really nice amp for a couple hundred bucks and your stereo will be 3 times as loud as it is now, with new speakers and amp!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Problem is that the whole reason the sound system in the car sounds "sub par" as it is, is because the weak point is the amp, not the speakers. Granted the speakers could all use an upgrade to better grade, but the amp is what is limiting the clarity and power to the speakers which makes the entire system sound like crap. Thats the point Webman was trying to point out. Not just the mix matching of the components but that in swapping out the components but keeping the stock amp, you dont do anything. Your system will more than likely not sound any better than stock and so you just waste money.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
Problem is that the whole reason the sound system in the car sounds "sub par" as it is, is because the weak point is the amp, not the speakers. Granted the speakers could all use an upgrade to better grade, but the amp is what is limiting the clarity and power to the speakers which makes the entire system sound like crap. Thats the point Webman was trying to point out. Not just the mix matching of the components but that in swapping out the components but keeping the stock amp, you dont do anything. Your system will more than likely not sound any better than stock and so you just waste money.
I fail at laymen's terms. HA.

Seriously All money spent on those speakers and subs, would better spent on just replacing the amp. I almost **** when I heard the stock speakers with my new amp! As a matter of fact, I'm still running the stockers in the rear doors! I think they sound great, but I never sit back there. You'd have to ask my dog.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 03:30 PM

The door speakers in the Fosgate setup are 2 ohm, its gonna fail connecting 4ohm speakers to the stock amp.

The Sub will also fail, as it is a 75w RMS/ 150w Max DVC @ 1ohm. Its gonna clip from being underpowered.

The only thing that WILL work are those tweeters cause the stock Fosgate ones are 2ohm.

The end result will most likely be an amp that overheats and dies. Even possibly blowing the sub from the clipping.

You need to replace the amp.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

Question

i will be replacing all the stock speakers with

Front and back Pioneer 4 ways speakers

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA1...3R.html?tp=105

Infinity Kappa 10.9t tweeters 2ohm

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_108109T...9t.html?tp=107

and Punch Stage 1 10" ported enclosed subwoofer 4ohm svc

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_510/Enc...ubwoofers.html

Question is do you guys think all the speakers will work with the stock amp with no problem. I am concern about the ohm of the new speakers and how they will work with the stock amp.

I will not be replacing the amp because i still want to keep the stock head unit and amp for now.

thanks guys.
with the speakers and sub and i already got, which amp would you guys recommend? 5 channels amp?

is it hard to wire a new amp keeping the same head unit? what do i need?

thanks guys

kirk
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

with the speakers and sub and i already got, which amp would you guys recommend? 5 channels amp?

is it hard to wire a new amp keeping the same head unit? what do i need?

thanks guys

kirk
Read my thread. My first post explains why I chose the amp I did (not a 5 channel).
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rf-stereo.html
Old Apr 7, 2010, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Cool

i got the ALPINE PDX-5 to replace the stock amp and run all the speakers that i bought.

Do you think it is a good buy and will fit my need?

thanks again guys.

kl
Old Apr 8, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

i got the ALPINE PDX-5 to replace the stock amp and run all the speakers that i bought.

Do you think it is a good buy and will fit my need?

thanks again guys.

kl
It's not the right amp if you plan on using the 2 channel low level inputs under the seat. Because the stock system only puts out 2 channels of audio, there's no reason to have a 4 channel amp because the two pairs are using the same signal. You really only need a 4 channel amp, with one set running the 4 door speakers, and the other set bridged to the sub. Again, check out my thread's first post on amp selection for my system and why I chose it over a 5 channel amp. I suggest the JL Audio G4500, and it fits like a glove.

Now, if you want to run new RCA wires from the deck and amplify an already amplified signal, then that's an option. Then you will get all 4 channels, and still maintain fading. But IMO, that's just photocopying a photocopy, to amplify an amplified signal.

Either way, It's a great amp, but its THD is much higher than that of the JL HD900/5 or the G4500.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

How much of a quality difference do you foresee by running the PDX5 off new RCA's (being that they are a photocopy of a photocopy) as opposed to running the PDX5 off the low level inputs compared to stock?
Old Apr 8, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spy007
How much of a quality difference do you foresee by running the PDX5 off new RCA's (being that they are a photocopy of a photocopy) as opposed to running the PDX5 off the low level inputs compared to stock?
It all depends on the quality of the initial amplification. What you don't want to amplify is all the dirty noise (distortion) that the initially amplified signal has. If it generates 1% distortion, and your additional amp creates a 1% distortion, it's pretty much exponential distortion. It also depends on the aftermarket amp's capability to convert an amplified signal. For me, the quality is lost at no volume (lots of background noise that is amplified) and at very high volume (clipping points are more easily hit, and speakers are receiving exponentially distorted signals). As you turn up the volume, the deck amplifies the signal more, then the amp amplifies it even more, that's why the distortion is exponential as you turn up the volume You could end up with a lot of distortion.

The PDX-5 amp has a THD of 1%, which is why I would never even consider purchasing it for any install. 1% is WAY too high. I'd be surprised if the stock deck created 1% THD. The JL HD900/5 amp is < 0.03% @4ohm and < 0.05% @5ohm bridged. Therefore, amplifying an amplified signal with the Alpine amp is going to create far poorer results. What was it that made you guys choose the Alpine amp over the JL? Price? This is why I've always avoided most equipment aside from JL.

Distortion is the leading cause of blown speakers. That's why the stock RF amp had such low limits. There was never any hint of distortion unless it hadn't correctly adjusted the freq volume due to silence.

Last edited by Webman; Apr 8, 2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

I for some reason read in one of the posts that the PDX5 was a good amp and fit perfect and my mind instead of looking for more just made me go buy it. It really wasnt price as if I was smarter I would have looked around at the other options. Like I said, im really a dumbass when it comes to audio so the 1% didnt stand out to me.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

It's funny because a bunch of people have chosen that amp over the JL, and I just assumed it was because of price. Even in another thread where I suggested the guy buy the amp that's made to work with the JL sub, and he chose the Alpine amp because of the price and argued that there's no difference between the two, and they're both good amps. I just tend to scour specs of any electronic I'm gonna buy, and compare the details. Sometimes I learn something I never knew!

Quick Reply: Replacing all the stock speakers????