Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

double din nav install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2011, 05:28 PM
DMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like the OP is from Canada, so I would say its hard for me to say if that is a good deal or not. $100-$150 U.S. is a good price.

Originally Posted by migs647
That price is outrageous. You can easily do it yourself... it's only two screws just to get the dash trim off, then the trim pops up. Then 3 screws on the hazard button, and 4 screws on the brackets for the existing player. Just read what Zerocool posted and do it yourself. No since in wasting money. One thing I didn't see in his post..... disconnect your negative battery terminal to prevent any possible shortages. Who knows what can happen.
I install professionally and never disconnect the battery. I install alarms, remote starters, navi units....etc. Ive worked on so many new and used cars and never had a problem. If you know what you are doing and dont short out any wires (touching a hot wire to ground)....you wont have a problem. Also, using a voltmeter is the right tool to use when testing wires, but you probably wont need to use it for an install like this.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by DMP
Looks like the OP is from Canada, so I would say its hard for me to say if that is a good deal or not. $100-$150 U.S. is a good price.
At $100-150 would this be soldered or crimped? If the latter, I'd keep looking or just solder it myself. Actually, I've gotta admit I paid $40 once to fix / rewire my first install. Turns out the cause was GM needs a real ground and I used the harness ground. This was back in 1994 or so and the guy re-wired everything using black electrical tape. Needless to say, I tore it back apart and crimped everything neatly while keeping the ground on the chassis. Now everything I do gets soldered. Oxidation will make any crimp fail over time no matter how good it is at the beginning.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 10:00 PM
DMP

Originally Posted by gabrod72
At $100-150 would this be soldered or crimped? If the latter, I'd keep looking or just solder it myself. Actually, I've gotta admit I paid $40 once to fix / rewire my first install. Turns out the cause was GM needs a real ground and I used the harness ground. This was back in 1994 or so and the guy re-wired everything using black electrical tape. Needless to say, I tore it back apart and crimped everything neatly while keeping the ground on the chassis. Now everything I do gets soldered. Oxidation will make any crimp fail over time no matter how good it is at the beginning.
I personally solder. I never use butt connnectors or anything. Im saying $100-$150 range because some vehicles are harder to install a navi unit in. For the Evo, im not sure what the going rate is for it. I never installed a navi unit in one. I think Best Buy charges around $100 to install a navi unit according to their website.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The install shouldn't be too hard. Try doing it your self. There is plenty of info on here and other evo sites to make the install a breeze.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you do this your self please at the absolute least use self sealing heat shrink not electric tape just wrapped around the twisted wires. Do not just run your ground to the " outside " of the unit as the bracket that holds the unit in may or may not be properly grounded enough through the mounting points.

Last edited by 3grst01; Jul 11, 2011 at 03:34 AM.