Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

double din nav install

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double din nav install

local guy wants $150-$200 to install a pioneer avic x920bt into my MR. i have the harness and scosche kit already so i will give that to him. does the price sound high for labour only?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vassili
local guy wants $150-$200 to install a pioneer avic x920bt into my MR. i have the harness and scosche kit already so i will give that to him. does the price sound high for labour only?
A little for just labour. If it's straight deck install without bluetooth or NAV probably I can do it in 15 minutes with the harness pre-fabbed. To install the microphone and NAV antenna probably another 30 minutes tops. Stereo installs are really easy on these cars.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vassili
No.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

haha I just posted on this on evoX, here is that link I was talking about. Its pretty easy like HeavyD said. Pre wire the harness to your head unit before you start taking the car apart.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...n-sss-gsr.html

Open the glove box and push in the two side tabs so it drops down lower. There is one screw to your right, take that out.

Pull the plastic part you just removed a screw from straight out. There will be another screw holding the long fake carbon fiber center dash piece. Take that out and pull the whole thing out. That is the only screw for that long piece so be gentle and pull it straight out.

Unscrew the three screws holding the hazard switch to the factory face plate. Unplug it an reattach to your schoshe kit.

The whole dash kit face pops out so carefully pull from the bottom and get it to pop out.

Take off the white clips from your factory face plate and keep them for your schoshe kit.

Unscrew thefour bolts holding the stereo brackets in place and unplug the car from the head unit.

The hardest part of all this is getting the new head unit to sit in the same position as the old. You will have to play with the factory brackets on your new head unit till it lines up right. I suggest not putting the white clips on your schoshe kit till you can confirm this. It will make it easier to take it on and off without killing the clips.

Once the HU (head unit) is attached to the brackets in the right locations plug the harness into the car. There will be three plugs back there but only one fits. Follow the instructions from that How To I posted to locate your speed sensor wire if your HU needs it.

Plug the cars antena into your new HU.

Reinstall and you should be good to go. I would make sure it works electrically before you go ahead and put it all back. Also remember if you want to be able to change things while you drive you will need to ground the wire your HU says should be hooked to the Ebrake.

If you plan on keep the steering wheel functions you will need a separate module which programming can get tricky at first but is pretty easy once you figure it out. You just have to move fast with button pushing or it wont work right.
Hope that helps! Hit me up if you have questions.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 10:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
That price is outrageous. You can easily do it yourself... it's only two screws just to get the dash trim off, then the trim pops up. Then 3 screws on the hazard button, and 4 screws on the brackets for the existing player. Just read what Zerocool posted and do it yourself. No since in wasting money. One thing I didn't see in his post..... disconnect your negative battery terminal to prevent any possible shortages. Who knows what can happen.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

True that, sorry forgot about the terminal!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 02:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't pay over $100.

Here's my rough guide on how to install one in the Evo X. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-f-series.html Seriously, do it yourself. It hardly takes any time and it's about as simple as it gets.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 11:18 AM

Dude, I would not paid a guy to do it. It is the easiest thing you can do. I agree with guys, it is expensive. In Edmonton, it is about $100.00. it depends on the how hard it is. Plus wiretap did the work, follow his lead. Great write up wiretap.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 02:22 PM

If your at all mechanically inclined, do it yourself. I recently installed a Z110BT and it was my first time ever installing a stereo. I did it in about 3 hour's, most of which was just crimping all the harness stuff before hand and getting the dash to fit right. It's definitely an easy way to save $100.
Old Jun 4, 2010, 08:42 PM

Price is way high do it yourself
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:38 AM

do it yourself to save the money...it's very simple
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:46 AM
Account Disabled

do it yourself man, i am not really all that good with audio installs but for the most part the wires usually mate up color for color and just read some diy as show above and you will be set. you can save that money on install and put it toward your next mod.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 01:33 PM

I got mine installed for 100 and totally regret it, i should have just done it myself. I ended up ripping it all out to do a DVD hack install. Do it yourself!
Old Jul 3, 2011, 11:15 AM

I've installed and repaired many car stereos over the years. Most common failure I've seen is crappy wire taps or butt connectors coming loose.

So, my 2 cents: If someone charges more than $100 for labor on a radio install, I EXPECT SOLDER AND HEAT-SHRINK on every wire between the harnesses except the amp turn on. If that's not the case then I walk. For $150, they better be doing it perfect.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 09:42 AM

Its a good thing knowing stereo install is so easy!! You guys just saved me some $$$

Quick Reply: double din nav install