Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rockford stock decibel limit? Got the lamest ticket ever recorded by mankind today...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DarwinX
Come on man, don't keep us in suspense. What was the song?

It was "Nookie" by Limp Bizkit. I can see why the cop might have thought we were telling him to take his cookie and stick it up his yeah, but we weren't directing it toward anyone.

By the way, my boss has a decibel meter on his iPhone and we just measured it. We measured it from about 50 feet away and it was at 70db, but we couldn't tell if it was picking up road noise or not. He started walking closer to my car and he wasn't able to hit 85db until he was literally a few feet from my car, and I had the volume at its max. I never listen to music at the max because I don't like replacing speakers. If the law is 85db at 65 feet, I can't see how he has any chance to win this one, unless they just say the cop wins because they said so, which I am totally expecting. I'm just going in with the facts and hoping for the best.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Bon Jovi - Livin on a Prayer that's my guess
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:17 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory
It was "Nookie" by Limp Bizkit. I can see why the cop might have thought we were telling him to take his cookie and stick it up his yeah, but we weren't directing it toward anyone.

By the way, my boss has a decibel meter on his iPhone and we just measured it. We measured it from about 50 feet away and it was at 70db, but we couldn't tell if it was picking up road noise or not. He started walking closer to my car and he wasn't able to hit 85db until he was literally a few feet from my car, and I had the volume at its max. I never listen to music at the max because I don't like replacing speakers. If the law is 85db at 65 feet, I can't see how he has any chance to win this one, unless they just say the cop wins because they said so, which I am totally expecting. I'm just going in with the facts and hoping for the best.
IIRC, the iphone app tops out at ~85dB. If the law is 85dB at 65', check to see whether the number is A-weighted or C-weighted. You can stop by Radio Shack and ask to use one of their SPL meters. If you lived near me, I'd let you use mine. Good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
IIRC, the iphone app tops out at ~85dB. If the law is 85dB at 65', check to see whether the number is A-weighted or C-weighted. You can stop by Radio Shack and ask to use one of their SPL meters. If you lived near me, I'd let you use mine. Good luck.
He just downloaded the ap today, and in the description it says it measures up to 120db. I'm not sure if he got a newer one than the one you're thinking of. He has the iPhone4
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

He just downloaded the ap today, and in the description it says it measures up to 120db. I'm not sure if he got a newer one than the one you're thinking of. He has the iPhone4
An iphone is not a SPL meter. No one in his right mind would accept its readings. Hell, its mic, alone, overloads to the point of making any relevant data.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
An iphone is not a SPL meter. No one in his right mind would accept its readings. Hell, its mic, alone, overloads to the point of making any relevant data.
Yeah, I'm not going to use that as evidence. I just wanted to get a ballpark number. I'm going to use a real decibel meter and get a more accurate reading. The iPhone probably isn't too far off.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:43 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Yeah, I'm not going to use that as evidence. I just wanted to get a ballpark number. I'm going to use a real decibel meter and get a more accurate reading. The iPhone probably isn't too far off.
I don't think you understood what I was trying to explain. Before anything else, you need to find out about the weighting. That will influence the results greatly. Then, you need to find out about the requisite placement of the meter and its calibration, and comply with those constraints. The meter's calibration, placement, and weighting all determine the final number. Lastly, please look into this a little more, if your thread is meant to gather an iota of usable advice. Relying on an iphone is ridiculous.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
I don't think you understood what I was trying to explain. Before anything else, you need to find out about the weighting. That will influence the results greatly. Then, you need to find out about the requisite placement of the meter and its calibration, and comply with those constraints. The meter's calibration, placement, and weighting all determine the final number. Lastly, please look into this a little more, if your thread is meant to gather an iota of usable advice. Relying on an iphone is ridiculous.
Like I said I'm not relying on the iPhone. I'll have weeks or possibly months to look up the information you are recommending, so thanks for that. I know some cops and retired cops in the area, so maybe I can get one of them who is certified to use the meter to come help me out.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 09:42 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

Dunno.. but if the officer could hear you yelling (singing) over the volume of the stereo, I wouldn't imagine that stereo could've been that loud to be the issue.

From your original post, it seems that his primary issue was with you "screaming" at him, or perhaps the content of what you were screaming.. and not necessarily the loud music itself.

Lol, I'd say just explain to the judge, and the officer if he shows, that you were just enjoying your music at a safe and reasonable level, and that you meant no disrespect to the officer by your aweful singing and poor taste in music ..good luck!

So you can take that cookie and stick it up your.. stick it up your..

=)
Old Jul 8, 2010, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I guess to comment I would need to hear the other side of the story. Make sure you don't go into court with an attitude. Maybe try to get a hold of the prosecuter to make a deal on the ticket. It would cost the city less than going to court and paying the officer overtime.

Last edited by JDZNate; Jul 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

this ticket is ridiculous. i bet he doesnt ticket all the obnoxious a$$ harleys because of their insane exhaust systems that literally set off car alarms.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had comments from other people that the Rockford Fosgate system is really loud. The strange thing is... it doesn't sound so loud from inside the car. Once I was parked above ground at a friend's condo... and 3 of my friends who parked underground and were walking up the staircase to my car... and they said they could hear the bass thumping from inside the underground parking!

I also drove to my parent's place... and they commented that they could hear the stereo from inside. "You should turn down the stereo when you come home... you'll wake up all the neighbours." ?!?!?!?!!!

The weird thing is... while I realize there's bass inside the car... it just doesn't seem like it could possibly be that loud from outside. But that's what people say!
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sailorcor
this ticket is ridiculous. i bet he doesnt ticket all the obnoxious a$$ harleys because of their insane exhaust systems that literally set off car alarms.
I definitely heard exhaust and sound systems that were louder than mine, some by a lot. I think the officer just hated that we were having a good time and he was in a bad mood.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crester
I've had comments from other people that the Rockford Fosgate system is really loud. The strange thing is... it doesn't sound so loud from inside the car. Once I was parked above ground at a friend's condo... and 3 of my friends who parked underground and were walking up the staircase to my car... and they said they could hear the bass thumping from inside the underground parking!

I also drove to my parent's place... and they commented that they could hear the stereo from inside. "You should turn down the stereo when you come home... you'll wake up all the neighbours." ?!?!?!?!!!

The weird thing is... while I realize there's bass inside the car... it just doesn't seem like it could possibly be that loud from outside. But that's what people say!
Completely different.... but close...

Essentially you have to look at the sound waves. A sub's sound output will not be impeded as much by its surrounding as the component speakers will. So people will be able to say they felt/heard the thump more-so than the actual music coming from your car.

Also... the stock RF system will NOT thump for ****.... I know this from experience. Once you replace the amp however it will, due to the stock system limiting the volume and power output in order to safeguard the speakers.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Not to be a dick, but it sounds like you're still naive. Making enemies of all cops because of the actions of one will just get you more tickets in the future.
Ever encountered a cop who didn't automatically assume you were going to pull a gun out of your pants and fire at him? No. Because all cops have to assume the worst for every person they encounter, no matter what.

I'm not naive, but I do know that the majority of police in my neighborhood where I've lived for 8 years, are habitual violators of the law. They enforce safety on a 25mph street, then break the laws without reason or using emergency lights or sirens.

As much as you think that it's just a small number of cops, I have to assume that all cops act like they are above-the-law, and that they do stupid stuff, like shooting an unarmed black man on BART. That small number does to the cops name, what the small number of unruly citizens does for mine.

I just treat the cops exactly as they treat me. If I see them speeding or breaking the law, I take video and I file complaints.

Quick Reply: Rockford stock decibel limit? Got the lamest ticket ever recorded by mankind today...