Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Rockford stock decibel limit? Got the lamest ticket ever recorded by mankind today...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rockford stock decibel limit? Got the lamest ticket ever recorded by mankind today...

Does anyone know how loud the stock rockford system will go as far as decibels from a distance of 65 feet? I got the lamest ticket that anyone here has ever gotten in their entire lives. I was casually listening to music and the "officer" asked why I was screaming at him and gave me a $120 ticket for something lame like loud noises. It said nothing about disturbing the peace or decibel limits or anything. It was complete bull****, but the cop looked like someone who was made fun of 24/7 in high school so he was taking it out on the guy with the nice car. The funny thing is I had absolutely nothing against cops before this experience and I always defended them when someone would get on their case for pulling them over for random reasons, depending on the situation. How ****!ng naive I was...

I just want to make sure I have some information to rub in the cops face the day I go to court. Its not a matter of winning or losing, I just want to make it look like I did nothing wrong and he was completely unreasonable because that is what the 2 people in the car with me, and I though about the situation. Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2010, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by EvolutionTheory
I got the lamest ticket that anyone here has ever gotten in their entire lives. I was casually listening to music and the "officer" asked why I was screaming at him and gave me a $120 ticket for something lame like loud noises. It said nothing .......
So my guess, in bold, was that you were singing loudly and the cop thought you were yelling at him?

well, wutever the case, i'm pretty sure the rockford audio can't be that loud. I mean, i could hear it from a good 50 ft away but thats minimal compared to, say, a freakin' sound off competition. sounds like complete BS to me that the cop just had to give you a ticket JUST BECAUSE....

and the way you described the cop reminded me of Officer Duey from Scary Movie lol
Old Jul 8, 2010, 04:58 AM

One of the points of those laws is to ensure you can hear emergency sirens inside your vehicle. If your stereo was turned up so loud that the cop "thought you were yelling at him" to be heard, then yeah, hes gonna ticket you. If you cant hear him and have to yell to be heard, then you aint hearing an ambulance or firetruck coming up behind you.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

The funny thing is I had absolutely nothing against cops before this experience and I always defended them when someone would get on their case for pulling them over for random reasons, depending on the situation. How ****!ng naive I was...
Not to be a dick, but it sounds like you're still naive. Making enemies of all cops because of the actions of one will just get you more tickets in the future.

I just want to make sure I have some information to rub in the cops face the day I go to court. Its not a matter of winning or losing, I just want to make it look like I did nothing wrong and he was completely unreasonable because that is what the 2 people in the car with me, and I though about the situation. Thanks
Nice...going to court with a chip on your shoulder. You'll make friends real fast with that attitude. Good luck with that.

Words of advice: Take the ticket to court and state only the facts. Chances are the cop won't even show and you will be found "not responsible". Judges don't care much for whiny biotches with anger issues.

And if it makes you feel any better, win or lose...the cop still won. He got your feathers all ruffled up and you to waste a day in court.

Last edited by DarwinX; Jul 8, 2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
Not to be a dick, but it sounds like you're still naive. Making enemies of all cops because of the actions of one will just get you more tickets in the future.

Nice...going to court with a chip on your shoulder. You'll make friends real fast with that attitude. Good luck with that.

Words of advice: Take the ticket to court and state only the facts. Chances are the cop won't even show and you will be found "not responsible". Judges don't care much for whiny biotches with anger issues.

And if it makes you feel any better, win or lose...the cop still won. He got your feathers all ruffled up and you to waste a day in court.

Relax people, I'm not going to court pissed, I was just irritated last night because I really wasn't listening to the music any louder than I normally do. I did hear the officer when he drove up beside me to my window. We were in dead stopped traffic along the strip at the beach, and there were plenty of other people listening to their louder systems. I think he just thought we were yelling words at him when we were just singing the song. There weren't even any obscenities because I don't like to be "that guy." I love going to the beach, and the town makes a lot of their money through people visiting and having a good time. Experiences like this aren't going to get people to come back, although I will definitely still visit and not let this experience get to me.

Its pretty easy to come down on someone who makes a post like this one, but if it happened to you, you would be just as irritated. He was a complete dick about it too. And no, I don't hate all cops because of ONE experience. I just think in this one scenario he was abusing his powers in a way, but I guess he has the right to do that.

Also, please don't call me a whiny biotch with an anger issue. If you had ever met me, you would know that I'm exactly the opposite. I had a bad night, and I'm sorry that I've inconvenienced some of you with this post.

I just want to know the decibel limit of the stock rockford system from 65 feet away because I happen to know that the law in Hampton is you cannot be above 85 decibles from that distance. I didn't even have it turned up most of the way. I just want to make sure I'm 100% prepared for court because I don't think he has a chance in hell given the situation.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stylean
One of the points of those laws is to ensure you can hear emergency sirens inside your vehicle. If your stereo was turned up so loud that the cop "thought you were yelling at him" to be heard, then yeah, hes gonna ticket you. If you cant hear him and have to yell to be heard, then you aint hearing an ambulance or firetruck coming up behind you.
Why do car manufacturers allow sound systems to go over a certain limit then? I still have all of my mirrors to see the emergency vehicles. If my windows were completely closed and we were listening to the music loud, he wouldn't have pulled me over because it wouldn't be as loud to him, and at the same time I would be less likely to hear an emergency vehicle. I guess you really just had to be there to witness what went on because I guarantee you have listened to music louder and had no problems. I know I have.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Like Darwin said... just go state the facts.

Research your state's laws regarding noise limits. GO to court and hope the cop doesn't show. Then bring in your research if he does. Best bet, Go find someone with a decibel meter who is certified to use it. Have them measure your car at different levels both inside and outside your car at the required distance. Hit the whole spectrum and show that the car actually insulates a ton of noise and the level that is illegal at the distance would have been impossible to stand inside the car and would have caused permanent hearing damage.
If you don't have access to someone like that, then borrow the meter or buy one if you can get one cheap enough. DO the tests yourself and then state that the officer did not have a decibel meter and ask if he had ever been certified or trained to use one. If not, more than likely he has not had the experience to know what levels of sound match the decibels and therefore it cant be admissible and is more than likely just a cop with a chip on his shoulder having a bad day.

Not all cops are bad, not all are good... just like every other person on the planet. If you can prove your innocence, you can walk away. If its too much for you to handle, pay the ticket.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah best way to deal with that is get a copy of the law and see what it says. Its probibly not a strait cut thing which means your proly gunna take this one right in the butt.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SwishaSweet
Yeah best way to deal with that is get a copy of the law and see what it says. Its probibly not a strait cut thing which means your proly gunna take this one right in the butt.
Well I did find out the max allowable decibel and distance so now I just have to make sure my system doesn't go above this number. I know someone with a decibel meter so I'll have him measure the stereo from different positions around the car and hopefully I won't have to take this one in the butt...

The first thing the cop said to us when he came to the window was something along the lines of "you should think twice before yelling those words at an officer." The music wasn't the issue at first. He thought we were screaming the lyrics of the song at him, and he later came back and said the music was too loud. The ticket says "unnecessary noise intensity volume." I think he wouldn't have even pulled us over if we weren't singing because pretty much everyone shows off their ear-bleeding systems when driving along the strip at any beach. My stock rockford system is hardly as loud.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

The music wasn't the issue at first. He thought we were screaming the lyrics of the song at him, and he later came back and said the music was too loud. The ticket says "unnecessary noise intensity volume." I think he wouldn't have even pulled us over if we weren't singing because pretty much everyone shows off their ear-bleeding systems when driving along the strip at any beach.
I bet that's why you got the ticket in the first place. Sounds like the cops are starting to crack down on all the noise in that area (from peoples complaints).

That will teach you not to blast your Madonna music so loud.

Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:27 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lesson learned: next time don't sing along to "**** the police" by NWA when a cop pulls up next to you
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33

Lesson learned: next time don't sing along to "**** the police" by NWA when a cop pulls up next to you
Yeah Booooy! That cop was straight up trippin...lucky for him I didn't bust a cap in his a$$!

Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atombomb33
Haha, yeah those are exactly the songs that I would never even think about playing loud. It was just a simple 90's rock song off of an album that I got for my wife when I first met her when we were 16. 11 years later, the song ends up getting me a $120 fine. Who knew?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by gripbox
and the way you described the cop reminded me of Officer Duey from Scary Movie lol
Sorry dude it was the Scream series!

Honestly though, I need 50 posts to use the WTB section, so you are getting corrected sir!

Cheers!

Oh yeah and Cops "Can" be dicks, but they can also save yer *** too! I'm sure the ticket will get tossed though. If you didn't like that, you should see some of the tickets people are getting on their cars during forced vehicle checks at our weekly cruise nights here! You can get a ticket for having a stock suspension that is "too stiff" lol!
Old Jul 8, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Haha, yeah those are exactly the songs that I would never even think about playing loud. It was just a simple 90's rock song off of an album that I got for my wife when I first met her when we were 16. 11 years later, the song ends up getting me a $120 fine. Who knew?
Come on man, don't keep us in suspense. What was the song?

Quick Reply: Rockford stock decibel limit? Got the lamest ticket ever recorded by mankind today...