Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Navigation security

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation security

whats up guys,

A couple of break ins were reported around my neighborhood and got me thinking about my Evo's Security. I dont know if the security system that I have in mind even exist but its worth a try to ask around.

Is there a Security system that is run through a navigation system in the car, which will have a code entry to turn the ignition on???

i saw this in a Transporter movie and just wondered if there are systems like that in real life?? This might be all Hollywood but it would be pretty cool to have this on my Evo X.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 11:27 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Not aware of anything similar, since it would either have to be an OEM setup like this, or a complete kit with security system & navigation unit already programmed to work together.

I remember reading many years ago in Car Audio & Electronics magazine of a Diamante that was setup with cameras and recording equipment that automatically started recording video of the break-in as soon as certain sensors in the security system were tripped.. so I'm guessing anything is possible.

Maybe research into a carputer (mp3car.com is a good source) and see if anyone has already done something similar. In addition to programming an interface for the code entry (and having it prompt at the correct times), you'd probably have to find a security system that was made to interact with a PC instead of a key fob, which might be difficult if not impossible to find. I'm guessing that a system with PC access might in itself be a security risk.. neat idea, though!
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ I appriciate it, it would be cool. Maybe i can convinse some of my engineer friends to storm up some ideas!! haha if their not too busy. my old civic i had a similar system for the radio where if it gets disconnected from the battery it will lock up, and you will need a code to unlock it.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Get insurance?
Old Aug 18, 2010, 05:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by i64X
Get insurance?
exactly, who cares if the car gets stolen. You get to get a new one
Old Aug 18, 2010, 08:01 PM
AFD
Evolved Member

^^ Unless it was stolen, driven abusively, then recovered. In that case, you'd probably get the car back, possibly unaware of exactly what damage and/or severe wear occurred. Honestly, I think I'd rather the crook total the car, then to get it back in an unknown condition.