Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

best headunit/navi for evo x???

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best headunit/navi for evo x???

hey i have a non SSS package evo and the stock sound system is probly the worst ive ever heard. so i instintly ran out and got all the speakers replaced and still sounds the same.. So my next move is a new head unit and i want one that does pretty much everything with a nice size touch screeen.

i was also looking at pioneers and was wondering why there is such a big difference (like $1000) in price between the "A/V recivers" and the "navigation units" because they basicly doo all the same things right???

whats the best?? thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

I think the A/V units handle DVD playback. I have the pioneer AVIC F700BT and love it. I still have steering wheel controls, bluetooth and ipod playback. Great little unit but ive seen some good alpine units as well.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Pioneer avic-z120bt hands down best. Caronlinestereo has them for around 1k
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:49 PM

^^ the z120bt is a great unit for the price. i'm looking @ that unit too.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

I have the AVIC Z110BT and did the firmware upgrade to the equivalent of the Z120BT. Its awesome!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:50 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I have the Kenwood Excelon 9140. I love it. Very fast, boots up semi-quickly, has awesome ipod control. 13 band equalizer for the front, 13 band equalizer for the rear. Does great for hands free. You can easily upgrade the built-in garmin GPS maps. Can change the interface to any color.

The pioneer is decent, but I won't deal with pioneer ever again (for car audio). (also they dropped their premiere line). I have a good friend that sells Pioneer out of his car audio shop. 1 month after selling and installing a z110bt, his customer's z110bt died. So he sent it back to Pioneer for replacement, they sent back a refurbished unit. After dropping that kind of change on a new unit and having a refurb 30 days later, I'd be pretty damn upset. The guy didn't want to go without a stereo while he argued with Pioneer, so he put it in. Right on the dot, 12 months later from initial purchase, the refurbed unit died. Pioneer told him too bad. I wouldn't want to deal with that sort of customer service. Not with a unit that expensive. If it was some $150 deck, fine. But when you spend $1500, you expect a little more compensation.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FL4TLINE
..i instintly ran out and got all the speakers replaced and still sounds the same..
If you're running aftermarket speakers and looking for something louder, you might want to consider adding in some amplifiers as well. Upgrading to an aftermarket navi might give you better sound quality, but after seeing the specs on most of the units, their internal amplification is pretty low powered imo and won't be much louder than the stock non-SSS radio.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by migs647
I have the Kenwood Excelon 9140. I love it. Very fast, boots up semi-quickly, has awesome ipod control. 13 band equalizer for the front, 13 band equalizer for the rear. Does great for hands free. You can easily upgrade the built-in garmin GPS maps. Can change the interface to any color.

The pioneer is decent, but I won't deal with pioneer ever again (for car audio). (also they dropped their premiere line). I have a good friend that sells Pioneer out of his car audio shop. 1 month after selling and installing a z110bt, his customer's z110bt died. So he sent it back to Pioneer for replacement, they sent back a refurbished unit. After dropping that kind of change on a new unit and having a refurb 30 days later, I'd be pretty damn upset. The guy didn't want to go without a stereo while he argued with Pioneer, so he put it in. Right on the dot, 12 months later from initial purchase, the refurbed unit died. Pioneer told him too bad. I wouldn't want to deal with that sort of customer service. Not with a unit that expensive. If it was some $150 deck, fine. But when you spend $1500, you expect a little more compensation.
Out of curiosity, How much do the Kenwoods run for?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:02 PM
EvoM Community Team

I got mine for $1200.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:16 PM

Did you get it from a store or audio shop....online?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

I got mine from a CarToys, but last I saw crutchfield.com was selling them for the same price.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:57 PM

They are real nice, but the only thing I fear is the Florida summer heat. I know its not the same, but I had an AEM wideband and the screen warped from the heat. That is what kinda has me up against the fence with paying alot of $$ for these.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car PC ??????
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:10 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Sinister_X
They are real nice, but the only thing I fear is the Florida summer heat. I know its not the same, but I had an AEM wideband and the screen warped from the heat. That is what kinda has me up against the fence with paying alot of $$ for these.
I think that kinda leaves you out in the cold for any device then, even a cheap head unit.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:30 PM

Haha, I feel like I am the only one worried about this. Any other Floridians that have these units? Should I worry? Any precautions or ways to avoid?

Quick Reply: best headunit/navi for evo x???