Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD + iPhone GPS (pretty awesome - check it out)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 11' GSR non RF. This is the set up I think im going with: Pioneer AVIC-X920BT, TS-D1602R speakers, CD-IU50V (Ipod Connection), Scosche harness, and JDM nav Dash. Is there anything else that im going to need? Will my steering wheel control harness work or will that need a separate harness? Also any mounting opinions for the ipod control (ie glove box)?
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jad3
I have an 11' GSR non RF. This is the set up I think im going with: Pioneer AVIC-X920BT, TS-D1602R speakers, CD-IU50V (Ipod Connection), Scosche harness, and JDM nav Dash. Is there anything else that im going to need? Will my steering wheel control harness work or will that need a separate harness? Also any mounting opinions for the ipod control (ie glove box)?
you are going to need the PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface
Old Apr 2, 2011, 08:40 PM

Installed the AVH-P4300DVD with Scosche kit last night. The fitment is great! I wish the screen was higher resolution but it wasn't worth the extra $400+ to me to step up to the AVIC line. I'll be using my iPhone for navi. I also downloaded tvout2 via Cydia so I can output video from any app. Angry birds on the 7" ftw.

Next step is possibly adding subs and the steering wheel controls. Would I have to cut/splice the harness in the car to get the steering wheel controls working with something like a PAC?
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Alkor
I'll be using my iPhone for navi. I also downloaded tvout2 via Cydia so I can output video from any app. Angry birds on the 7" ftw.
of course, thats what we all need, more people playing with their cell phones while driving...
Old Apr 5, 2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by hkumar
of course, thats what we all need, more people playing with their cell phones while driving...
I won't be the one playing. My friend at work is an Angry Birds master and that way the other passengers can watch him play when we drive out to lunch.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:41 AM

Does this unit turns automatically to the rear view camera when the vehicle is set in reverse gear?
I have a rear camera hooked up and I dont want to switch to aux everytime i set it in reverse gear.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:51 AM

thanks you for this thread. I'm was actually looking for an alternative to purchasing the stock MMCS from the dealer. Your install looks really good. The list that you made in the beginning, are those the only ones you recommend? I was looking into the Pioneer AVIC - Z120BT...because I wanted a navigation unit that does everything the stock mitsu one does and more! But I'm worried that it wont be fully compatible with my car (2011 evo x mr) and all the functions that come with it already. I also wanted to install a back-up camera...have you heard anything about this model or is their something you recommend that would meet those requirements? thanks and sorry if this is off topic. i'm still researching before i drop $$$$$ in my car.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alkor
Installed the AVH-P4300DVD with Scosche kit last night. The fitment is great! I wish the screen was higher resolution but it wasn't worth the extra $400+ to me to step up to the AVIC line. I'll be using my iPhone for navi. I also downloaded tvout2 via Cydia so I can output video from any app. Angry birds on the 7" ftw.

Next step is possibly adding subs and the steering wheel controls. Would I have to cut/splice the harness in the car to get the steering wheel controls working with something like a PAC?
Thanks a ton for mentioning this app, was wondering if there was anything like it out there

though you would still be inputting everything on the iphone. I guess there isn't an app that also supplies touch-screen support through an external device? (the nav screen in this case). Googling around and it doesn't seem like one exists
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:14 AM

nice setup. looks great
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:51 AM

great setup! i think i might go this route. thanks for all the info everyone
Old May 5, 2011, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

has anyone tried this with any other smart phones, just curious
Old May 5, 2011, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

I just installed the JVC-AX840 which also has the Motion-X support. Nice unit.

Also, if you are looking for a steering wheel adapter, check out the Metra/Axxess unit. I got mine through Crutchfield. It auto-detects the deck and car so you dont have to program it and it doesnt have the lag that my PAC-SWI had.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:22 AM

I actually have AVH-4300DVD head unit and the video not working without the e-brake up is the same. If you don't want to manually flip a switch you can use a relay. It won't work if you have the e-brake wire grounded all the time because if it's grounded before the unit turns on, it won't work at all. If you get a relay, you wire it up to where after the unit gets power, THEN you send ground signal to the e-brake wire. If you do that, you never have to mess with any flipping switches or pulling the e-brake.
Old May 9, 2011, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

My system works just fine with the ebrake wire grounded. Its a JVC deck, which could be the difference.

On a side note, I just got around to trying out the Motion-X GPS.. and wow, it sucks.

First off, I have to change the configuration of my head unit to get it to work. Normally the iPod control is in "head unit" mode, so that you control the iPod (or iPhone in this case) from the head unit in the car. In order for the Motion-X to work, you need to set it to "External" mode. Note - this may be a caveat of my JVC deck and not the Motion-X software.

Next, the maps are blurry as hell. I talked to Motion-X support and they said they will work on better resolution maps in the future.

Third, since it is using the GPS in the iPhone, its also using the compass. So you have to orient your iPhone properly and make sure it doesnt move while you are using the GPS app.

I will look into getting a holder of some sort for the phone but Im not sure how much Ill end up using this.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 07:42 PM

This app (motionx gps drive) is not working on my avh-p4200dvd. I PMed the OP, but was wondering if anyone else knows a way to get it to work on the P4200. I suspect the OP has the P4300 model, which is on the "approved" list that the GPS app works with.

There are a couple other forums when you run a google search of people saying they are running this app on their P4200 series head unit. So I am confused lol..

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD + iPhone GPS (pretty awesome - check it out)