Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

2011 GSR Carputer

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2011 | 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Identitycrisis
TOralliart are you logging your afrs? If so how are you doing it, USB or did you tap the rear o2?
I have an AEM wideband so I connected one of the wires to a serial connector then used a serial to USB adapter. Works great!
Old Nov 7, 2011 | 06:21 PM

which adapter and serial cable did you use? i seeing some work some dont
Old Nov 8, 2011 | 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

which adapter and serial cable did you use? i seeing some work some dont
I'm using a Dual Serial to USB cable made by Unitek. I've used many serial to USB adapters in my set up and never had a problem with any of them.
Old Nov 11, 2011 | 11:02 AM

I've been accumulating parts for a while now. Hopefully I should be installing mine in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone installed it behind the plastic "wall" next to the battery and washer fluid reservoir in the trunk? That's where I want to locate mine.

Also what do you guys recommend, ride runner or centra fuse?
Old Nov 11, 2011 | 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SilverJesterGSX
CentraFuse is a bit easier to set up and cleaner overall but costs money.

Ride Runner takes a lot of reading and knowledge to set up properly, but can be more rewarding. Plus it is free.

I would say CentraFuse is like Windows and Ride Runner is like Linux. It depends on how comfortable you are with software. If you're not a computer person, I recommend CentraFuse. If you are a computer person and are willing to do the research, use Ride Runner.
Old Nov 11, 2011 | 04:11 PM

I've been accumulating parts for a while now. Hopefully I should be installing mine in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone installed it behind the plastic "wall" next to the battery and washer fluid reservoir in the trunk? That's where I want to locate mine.

If your going with Riderunner I recommend doing the whole front end build before you take the radio out...I made the mistake of taking my radio out then trying to build a front end. needless to say I got pissed and just installed Centrafuse because I had to drive in the morning and wanted music. Centrafuse has been good with me so far though so no complaints here.
Old Nov 11, 2011 | 09:38 PM

I know of a guy around town has a PB X with a carputer as well in his ride. Says he has music on it that will last him for three weeks.
Old Nov 13, 2011 | 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rallydude86
I know of a guy around town has a PB X with a carputer as well in his ride. Says he has music on it that will last him for three weeks.
That guy sounds awesome, like a shining pillar of humanity. lol
Old Nov 13, 2011 | 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by TOralliart
CentraFuse is a bit easier to set up and cleaner overall but costs money.

Ride Runner takes a lot of reading and knowledge to set up properly, but can be more rewarding. Plus it is free.

I would say CentraFuse is like Windows and Ride Runner is like Linux. It depends on how comfortable you are with software. If you're not a computer person, I recommend CentraFuse. If you are a computer person and are willing to do the research, use Ride Runner.
Originally Posted by kazshell
If your going with Riderunner I recommend doing the whole front end build before you take the radio out...I made the mistake of taking my radio out then trying to build a front end. needless to say I got pissed and just installed Centrafuse because I had to drive in the morning and wanted music. Centrafuse has been good with me so far though so no complaints here.
Thanks for the responses. I originally thought I wanted to use centrafuse because I thought it would work smoother and easier being a paid program. But I downloaded a trial version on my laptop (still waiting for my nexson molded screen and radio module before i can install the computer) and it seemed the screen animations were a bit choppy, and my laptop is definitely more powerful than my car pc. And then it kept crashing whenever I tried to watch videos in it. Most importantly, I couldn't figure out how to embed evoscan into it.

So I download riderunner and was really surprised. It is so much smoother (animation wise) and it seems to load faster (not necessarily the whole computer but just opening each program on my laptop). It also plays video files without problem. I also downloaded a skin (elite 2) and I think it looks better than anything I've seen for either RR or centrafuse. I've half way got evoscan embedded into RR now, just some kinks I have to work out, but I know it's possible because I was reading a thread where someone said they were able to do it.

I'll probably still try centrafuse on my actually car pc once it's installed, but so far it looks like I'll be running riderunner.
Old Nov 16, 2011 | 06:00 PM

Thanks for the responses. I originally thought I wanted to use centrafuse because I thought it would work smoother and easier being a paid program. But I downloaded a trial version on my laptop (still waiting for my nexson molded screen and radio module before i can install the computer) and it seemed the screen animations were a bit choppy, and my laptop is definitely more powerful than my car pc. And then it kept crashing whenever I tried to watch videos in it. Most importantly, I couldn't figure out how to embed evoscan into it.

So I download riderunner and was really surprised. It is so much smoother (animation wise) and it seems to load faster (not necessarily the whole computer but just opening each program on my laptop). It also plays video files without problem. I also downloaded a skin (elite 2) and I think it looks better than anything I've seen for either RR or centrafuse. I've half way got evoscan embedded into RR now, just some kinks I have to work out, but I know it's possible because I was reading a thread where someone said they were able to do it.

I'll probably still try centrafuse on my actually car pc once it's installed, but so far it looks like I'll be running riderunner.

good stuff man, maybe I'll have to give ride runner another shot.
Old Nov 17, 2011 | 06:52 AM

hey kazshell: i saw that you had wrote to watch out for the 24 pin connector and i knew it wouldnt be a problem with the m3-atx the problem was that it doesnt come with a p4 connector to power the motherboard itself. i called around and no one had an answer for me besides to use the m2 or m4. this makes things alot more difficult because i had to get a bigger box. i orginally got the m350 mini box and everything would have been great but the p4 issue with the m3 and also that if you use 2 sticks of ram then you can not put the m3 in because it hits the ram. so annoying to have to ship back your stuff and wait for other stuff to come in.
Old Nov 17, 2011 | 03:33 PM

hey kazshell: i saw that you had wrote to watch out for the 24 pin connector and i knew it wouldnt be a problem with the m3-atx the problem was that it doesnt come with a p4 connector to power the motherboard itself. i called around and no one had an answer for me besides to use the m2 or m4. this makes things alot more difficult because i had to get a bigger box. i orginally got the m350 mini box and everything would have been great but the p4 issue with the m3 and also that if you use 2 sticks of ram then you can not put the m3 in because it hits the ram. so annoying to have to ship back your stuff and wait for other stuff to come in.
I actually had the same problem I ordered the M3 and it didn't fit or have the P4 connector luckily I had ordered the M4 originally. Ya the M4 is huge, I had to use a cd-rom drive shell as the case, kinda ghetto but it works for now. I used the Black box from Mo-Co-So but I still had to rig the wires all crazy. I'll fix it eventually but its been running like a champ since June. Come to think of it I never shipped my M3 back...
Old Nov 18, 2011 | 05:36 AM

haha. i ended up buying one of mp3's boxes cause it was cheaper than that mamoth mo-co-so box and it was 19 bucks cheaper. I like the box you have but its just to big, i was hoping to put it under the passanger seat, which that m350 would have fit nicely. My scosche dash kit has a broken clip i noticed yesterday and no i prolly cant get a refund on that cause its been sitting for a few weeks, this project is killing me haha
Old Dec 6, 2012 | 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by kazshell
good stuff man, maybe I'll have to give ride runner another shot.
I tried all the known frontends and they all were lacking. I ended up using Windows 8 and so far, I'm glad I did!
Old Dec 17, 2012 | 07:41 PM

Nice job, and so worth it in my opinion

Quick Reply: 2011 GSR Carputer