Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

2011 GSR Carputer

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GSR Carputer

So I have had my EVO for about 3 weeks and I was sick of the stock rockford system (I had it in my Ralliart too). So i decided to put a Carputer in. I had been planning on building one since 2005 but I never got around to it. So anyway here is my build list.

Mobo: MSI E350IA-E45
Proc: AMD fusion 1.6 dual core
Graphics: Built in ATI Radeon 6310
Case: Black box case from Mo-co-so
Ram: Forgot the name...but its 4GB DDR3 1066
Axxess MITO-02
Monitor: Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T (touchscreen)...
PSU: M4-ATX DC-DC PSU
HU:? Where we're going we don't need headunits.
12ft HDMI cable
16ft USB cable
6ft USBx2
USB GPS Device
Belkin USB Wireless N
Scosche Dash kit
Centrafuse
Garmin Mobile PC
Windows XP

I think all together it was like $700. Unfortunately I didn't even think about taking install pictures. The pieces fit nice and there was plenty of room for the wires, It took about 2 days to build most of the time was spent on the OS I had to load 3 different versions to get one that worked right.

Of course my baby comes first 2011 PB GSR

Centrafuse front end

Centrafuse loading up

Wireless keyboard and mouse (this thing is awesome and only $20!!

The thing on top is the PSU the M4 is pretty big and it had no enclosure...so i took apart an old xbox 360 dvd drive and used the shell as a case.

Kind of ghetto but I really didnt want to drill the plastic.

The trunk has a pretty good amount of space left in it Im going to install my subs next weekend.

Removed the stock sub.

Here are my 2 10''W6V2's in a custom built box...uh not custom for the car, just custom built..

This is my JL 500V2 amp, the right rear corner is just hanging for now I have to build a shelf or something so it's level.

Last edited by kazshell; May 30, 2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added pics.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

Nice job.
Old May 26, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice! How good does the handsfree work? Were you able to retain the steering wheel buttons for volume and phone? I have been debating on doing this or a Kenwood unit.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:32 AM

Nice job.
Thanks

Originally Posted by spider21
Very nice! How good does the handsfree work? Were you able to retain the steering wheel buttons for volume and phone? I have been debating on doing this or a Kenwood unit.
I bought a USB bluetooth receiver for the handsfree, I still have to get the mic though. Unfortunatley the steering wheel buttons don't work, I dont think the aftermarket plugins will work for a pc I'm sure theres a way to do it I just don't have the time to figure it out right now.

I thought about a deck but I have a big .mp3 library and I felt it would be pointless to spend 1K on a new deck and still have to plug my phone in to listen to my music. Doing it this way I have 500GB to load all the music and videos I want.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:42 AM

ah double post...

Last edited by kazshell; May 26, 2011 at 05:45 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:04 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
How well does it start up and turn off via the key? How long does booting up take?

It would be pimp if you had evoscan on there + tactrix to watch your data on that thing while listening to music. Think it's possible?
Old May 26, 2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
How well does it start up and turn off via the key? How long does booting up take?

It would be pimp if you had evoscan on there + tactrix to watch your data on that thing while listening to music. Think it's possible?
The startup works well, the M4 has an ignition plug along with the positive and negative terminals basically its a remote terminal like an amp. I used the 12V power coming from the cigg lighter on this terminal. When you turn the key it's like pushing the power button on the cpu, the same for when you turn it off. I have the OS set to hibernate when the power button is pushed. The M4 also has some ignition control settings as well for example you can set the pins for like a 1 min delay before system startup and a 1 min delay for power down giving the PC plenty of time to hibernate. Startup time from hibernate is about 15 to 20 seconds less than that going into hibernate. actual boot up from power off takes about 45 seconds.

It's definatley possible, just minimize the music player or front end and run evoscan. The tactrix cable would be easy too I just have to run another 16ft usb cable or put a hub on the existing and have the tactrix plugged up and it's good to go.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what garmin plug in did you use ?
Old May 26, 2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by lancer0220
what garmin plug in did you use ?
Rebellium 4, it works pretty good.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kazshell
The startup works well, the M4 has an ignition plug along with the positive and negative terminals basically its a remote terminal like an amp. I used the 12V power coming from the cigg lighter on this terminal. When you turn the key it's like pushing the power button on the cpu, the same for when you turn it off. I have the OS set to hibernate when the power button is pushed. The M4 also has some ignition control settings as well for example you can set the pins for like a 1 min delay before system startup and a 1 min delay for power down giving the PC plenty of time to hibernate. Startup time from hibernate is about 15 to 20 seconds less than that going into hibernate. actual boot up from power off takes about 45 seconds.

It's definatley possible, just minimize the music player or front end and run evoscan. The tactrix cable would be easy too I just have to run another 16ft usb cable or put a hub on the existing and have the tactrix plugged up and it's good to go.
Well better than having the tactrix plugged into the odbII port, use a ODBII extension cable so you don't kick it every time you get in .

So you hibernate it all the time. How much power does it use to keep it going? I don't drive my car for 2-3 weeks at a time sometimes. I guess I could just manually shut it down when I plan on not driving it for a while.

This may be a strong option for me.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by migs647
Well better than having the tactrix plugged into the odbII port, use a ODBII extension cable so you don't kick it every time you get in .

So you hibernate it all the time. How much power does it use to keep it going? I don't drive my car for 2-3 weeks at a time sometimes. I guess I could just manually shut it down when I plan on not driving it for a while.

This may be a strong option for me.
Ya it's in hibernate all the time.

Well, it's kind of tricky. Hibernation is a state of full power off and your image is stored on the hard drive and is accessed when the power button is hit and windows loads. Stand by on the other hand stores everything in the ram and the PC will still have power draw. That being said it's not the PC you have to worry about more like the PSU, the PSU draws 0.5amps in the off state to monitor for ignition so overtime that will drain your battery. Throw some quick disconnect terminals attached to the PSU though and it should be good.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:56 AM

i plan on doing something very similar.. but i will be using fedora linux with XBMC for the media center (total boot from power off to XBMC playing music is about 20 seconds)... im not worried about navi at all.. never use it except for whats on my phone.. NICE job on yours though!!
Old May 26, 2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by h311rasor
i plan on doing something very similar.. but i will be using fedora linux with XBMC for the media center (total boot from power off to XBMC playing music is about 20 seconds)... im not worried about navi at all.. never use it except for whats on my phone.. NICE job on yours though!!
Thanks

Nice, I am downright stupid when it comes to Linux but if you got it, good suff. Good luck with yours!
Old May 26, 2011, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

I always liked carputers. Never had time to build one though.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:21 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kazshell
]I thought about a deck but I have a big .mp3 library and I felt it would be pointless to spend 1K on a new deck and still have to plug my phone in to listen to my music. Doing it this way I have 500GB to load all the music and videos I want.
+1.. it drives me crazy that after all these years making MP3 compatible head units, the best they can do is handle 10,000 songs at most from a USB device (and many can only manage 2,500). It's kinda sad that $1000+ head units that just came out this year still have less features than phones costing half as much.

Anyway, nice job on the PC.. what model is the tiny keyboard you found??

Quick Reply: 2011 GSR Carputer