Notices
Evo X Electrical / Audio / Security Discuss electrical and audio system upgrades or alarm configurations.

Help with loud Popping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with loud Popping

Decided to move my amp yesterday and since it was farther back in the trunk, I had to run new speedwire and re-route my RCA's. I swear I ran everything just the way it was before the switch and everything sounded fine (with the exception of a little bit of alternator whine).

Now, the sound quality is awful. Low distorted volume. No bass or mid range coming from the speakers. And, there's a really loud pop when I turn the ignition off.

Bad ground to the amp? I'm going to the battery now. I ran the ground hook in between the gap in the battery clip. It looked like it tightened up well, but maybe I should run the hook to the outside clip so it sits more flush?

Bad HU ground? Again, think everything looked ok.

Bad RCA's? Everything seems tight, but on one of the connectors you can see where the connector has pulled away a bit from the outter cover, showing the 2 red wires running inside.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:16 AM
AFD
Evolved Member

1st, be sure to double and triple-check all your wiring and connections (mixing up the + and - polarity will still give you sound, but the quality will be awful).

2nd, I've always heard that amplifiers should be grounded to bare metal on the car's chassis, and not to be connected back to the battery's ground. Not sure the reasoning why, though.

3rd, make sure your RCAs aren't coming near or crossing over your power and ground wires, and if possible, it wouldn't hurt to keep your speaker wire away from the RCAs as well.

Just some ideas.. good luck!
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolving Member

Ran a new ground near the spare and it was a little better but still popped. Double checked all my connections and the remote wire didn't look good. I had piggy backed two remote wires into the amp, one for the amp and one for my basslink. When I plugged in the amp remote only with a solid connection I got the popping to stop. So that was it.

Now if I could just get the alternator whine to stop. Got a couple of stinger ground loop isolators I'm going to try later.